* Relicensing an Apache-licensed recipe as MIT
@ 2017-04-11 20:52 Martin Kelly
From: Martin Kelly @ 2017-04-11 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I'm thinking about integrating the open-vm-tools recipe from
openswitch[1] into openembedded (it massively improves the performance
of VMWare guests) but first I have a question about licensing. The
openswitch repository is Apache-licensed while the openembedded layers
are all MIT licensed. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the
Apache license is a superset of the MIT license (it includes a patent
clause that the MIT license lacks), and therefore MIT code can be
relicensed as Apache but not the other way around. If that's the case,
then there's two options here:

(1) - Include this recipe in openembedded with an Apache license, while
the rest of the recipes are MIT-licensed. This sounds complicated,
messy, and probably not feasible.

(2) - Ask openswitch for permission to relicense that one recipe as MIT
with attributions.

I'm wondering if someone with a better understanding than I have could
provide me me advice about the best way to proceed.

Thanks,
Martin

[1]:
https://github.com/open-switch/ops-build/tree/master/yocto/openswitch/meta-foss-openswitch/recipes-extended/open-vm-tools