* [GIT PULL] Kbuild fixes for v5.19-rc4
@ 2022-06-25 22:15 Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2022-06-25 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Linus,

Please pull a couple of Kbuild fixes.
Thanks.

The following changes since commit a111daf0c53ae91e71fd2bfe7497862d14132e3e:

  Linux 5.19-rc3 (2022-06-19 15:06:47 -0500)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/masahiroy/linux-kbuild.git
tags/kbuild-fixes-v5.19-2

for you to fetch changes up to ff139766764675b9df12bcbc8928a02149b7ba95:

  kbuild: Ignore __this_module in gen_autoksyms.sh (2022-06-26 06:15:05 +0900)

Kbuild fixes for v5.19 (2nd)

 - Fix modpost to detect EXPORT_SYMBOL marked as __init or__exit

 - Update the supported arch list in the LLVM document

 - Avoid the second link of vmlinux for CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS

 - Avoid false __KSYM___this_module define in include/generated/autoksyms.h

Masahiro Yamada (2):
      modpost: fix section mismatch check for exported init/exit sections
      kbuild: link vmlinux only once for CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS (2nd attempt)

Nick Desaulniers (1):
      Documentation/llvm: Update Supported Arch table

Sami Tolvanen (1):
      kbuild: Ignore __this_module in gen_autoksyms.sh

 Documentation/kbuild/llvm.rst | 10 ++++++++--
 Makefile                      |  2 +-
 scripts/gen_autoksyms.sh      |  3 +++
 scripts/mod/modpost.c         |  2 +-

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild fixes for v5.19-rc4
@ 2022-06-26 17:36 ` pr-tracker-bot
From: pr-tracker-bot @ 2022-06-26 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada

The pull request you sent on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:15:35 +0900:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/masahiroy/linux-kbuild.git tags/kbuild-fixes-v5.19-2

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/393ed5d85e8e07021d8db07d7c8348dd928349d7

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

* Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild fixes for v5.19-rc4
@ 2022-06-26 18:19 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-06-26 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada, Paul E. McKenney

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 3:16 PM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org> wrote:

> Please pull a couple of Kbuild fixes.

Masahiro, I already complained about this once:

    Section mismatch in reference from the variable .. declared __init

and now you re-introduced this sneakily by just putting it in another place.

I told you last time that you need to *FIX* these things before adding
the warning, instead of adding a warning and then waiting for others
to fix them.

Yes, it's fixing an earlier mistake, but that earlier mistake is over
a decade old by now.

Now, the only warning that seems to show up for me is about
tick_nohz_full_setup. Which is only called from housekeeping_setup()
in kernel/sched/isolation.c if I grepped correctly.

And that seems only ever built-in as far as I can tell, so the whole
export seems pointless, and the fix is presumably to remove the
export_SYMBOL_GPL entirely.

So it seems fixable.

But I'm upset about this sneaking in when we _talked_ about this issue earlier.

Paul - that export was added by commit ae9e557b5be2 ("time: Export
tick start/stop functions for rcutorture"), and it seems to have been
bogus even at that time.

              Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild fixes for v5.19-rc4
@ 2022-06-27  1:09   ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2022-06-27  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds

Hi Linus,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 3:20 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 3:16 PM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull a couple of Kbuild fixes.
>
> Masahiro, I already complained about this once:
>
>     Section mismatch in reference from the variable .. declared __init
>
> and now you re-introduced this sneakily by just putting it in another place.
>
> I told you last time that you need to *FIX* these things before adding
> the warning, instead of adding a warning and then waiting for others
> to fix them.

Sorry for not explaining this in my email.

I just thought I had fixed all the warnings,
at least the ones previously reported in linux-next:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220602092809.04008a86@canb.auug.org.au/

> Yes, it's fixing an earlier mistake, but that earlier mistake is over
> a decade old by now.
>
> Now, the only warning that seems to show up for me is about
> tick_nohz_full_setup. Which is only called from housekeeping_setup()
> in kernel/sched/isolation.c if I grepped correctly.

Sorry, I did not notice this.
It did not show up in allmodconfig test.
tick_nohz_full_setup() is only compiled when CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL=y.

I rely on the 0day bot for randconfig tests, but I did not get the report.

Sorry about that.

> And that seems only ever built-in as far as I can tell, so the whole
> export seems pointless, and the fix is presumably to remove the
> export_SYMBOL_GPL entirely.
>
> So it seems fixable.
>
> But I'm upset about this sneaking in when we _talked_ about this issue earlier.
>
> Paul - that export was added by commit ae9e557b5be2 ("time: Export
> tick start/stop functions for rcutorture"), and it seems to have been
> bogus even at that time.
>
>               Linus

I can send a patch.

--

@ 2022-06-27  7:36   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2022-06-27  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
	Linux Kbuild mailing list

Hi Linus,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 8:30 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> Now, the only warning that seems to show up for me is about
> tick_nohz_full_setup. Which is only called from housekeeping_setup()
> in kernel/sched/isolation.c if I grepped correctly.

It is also exported as a symbol. Meh...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds