* unexpected stonewall parsing led jobs separated by stonewall to run concurrently
@ 2017-07-12  5:13 Ido Ben-Tsion
From: Ido Ben-Tsion @ 2017-07-12  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

fio version: fio-2.21-37-ga2c9

fio file excerpt:
[global]
ioengine=sg
invalidate=1
ramp_time=5
iodepth=16
runtime=300
time_based
bs=64k
norandommap
loops=5

[seq_read-2-jobs]
rw=read
numjobs=2
stonewall

[randread]
rw=randread
[seq_write]
rw=write
stonewall

In the report, I see jobs with groupid 0 which are not supposed to be
on same group:
...,jobname,groupid,...
...,seq_read-2-jobs,0,...
...,seq_read-2-jobs,0,...
...,randread,0,...
...,seq_write,1,...

thanks,
Ido Ben-Tsion

* Re: unexpected stonewall parsing led jobs separated by stonewall to run concurrently
@ 2017-07-12  6:26 ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2017-07-12  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ido Ben-Tsion; +Cc: fio

Hi,

On 12 July 2017 at 06:13, Ido Ben-Tsion <idob@infinidat.com> wrote:
> fio version: fio-2.21-37-ga2c9
>
> fio file excerpt:
> [global]
> ioengine=sg
> invalidate=1
> ramp_time=5
> iodepth=16
> runtime=300
> time_based
> bs=64k
> norandommap
> loops=5
>
> [seq_read-2-jobs]
> rw=read
> numjobs=2
> stonewall
>
> [randread]
> rw=randread
> [seq_write]
> rw=write
> stonewall
>
> In the report, I see jobs with groupid 0 which are not supposed to be
> on same group:
> ...,jobname,groupid,...
> ...,seq_read-2-jobs,0,...
> ...,seq_read-2-jobs,0,...
> ...,randread,0,...
> ...,seq_write,1,...

I'm not sure I follow - which jobs are wrong? Looking at the opening
sentence explanation (and the alternative name) for stonewall in the
HOWTO (http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_man.html#cmdoption-arg-stonewall
) seems to describe the behaviour you're seeing.

Can you be more explicit as to the problem?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: unexpected stonewall parsing led jobs separated by stonewall to run concurrently
@ 2017-07-12  6:58 ` Tomohiro Kusumi
From: Tomohiro Kusumi @ 2017-07-12  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ido Ben-Tsion; +Cc: fio

Run with --debug=process and see if there is
"<name>: stonewall wait"
for <name> which you expect to be stonewall'd.

@ 2017-07-12  7:01   ` Ido Ben-Tsion
From: Ido Ben-Tsion @ 2017-07-12  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio

ok, I understand. I didn't think of stonewall as being part of a job.
I thought of it as a separator between jobs, unrelated to any specific
job. which is not what the documentation explains.

--

Ido Ben-Tsion

Ackerstein Towers, A Tower, Fl.4
Hamenofim St. P.O.B 12696, Hertzelia Pituach, 46725
T +972.9.970.4000, F +972.9.970.4001
M +972.5X.XXX.XXXX
www.infinidat.com

* Re: unexpected stonewall parsing led jobs separated by stonewall to run concurrently
@ 2017-07-12 18:19     ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2017-07-12 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ido Ben-Tsion; +Cc: fio

Hi,

Would changing the HOWTO to say:
"Make the job containing the stonewall parameter wait for preceding
jobs in the job file to exit before starting."
be any clearer? What did you find that made you expect the original
behaviour and what did you find that made you change your
understanding?

On 12 July 2017 at 08:01, Ido Ben-Tsion <idob@infinidat.com> wrote:
> ok, I understand. I didn't think of stonewall as being part of a job.
> I thought of it as a separator between jobs, unrelated to any specific
> job. which is not what the documentation explains.
>
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 12 July 2017 at 06:13, Ido Ben-Tsion <idob@infinidat.com> wrote:
>>> fio version: fio-2.21-37-ga2c9
>>>
>>> fio file excerpt:
>>> [global]
>>> ioengine=sg
>>> invalidate=1
>>> ramp_time=5
>>> iodepth=16
>>> runtime=300
>>> time_based
>>> bs=64k
>>> norandommap
>>> loops=5
>>>
>>> [seq_read-2-jobs]
>>> rw=read
>>> numjobs=2
>>> stonewall
>>>
>>> [randread]
>>> rw=randread
>>> [seq_write]
>>> rw=write

@ 2017-07-12 19:37       ` Ido Ben-Tsion
From: Ido Ben-Tsion @ 2017-07-12 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio

in example files, stonewall is usually the last option, and is usually
part of all or none of the jobs. learning by example didn't work for
me :)

yes,
"Make the job containing the stonewall parameter wait for preceding
jobs in the job file to exit before starting."
is clearer.

may I suggest an alternative?
maybe a special reserved job-name [stonewall] can make it clear, while
maintaining backwards compatibility (assuming the unlikely case of
existing files with such a job name). I would expect such a dummy-job
to be empty and contain the implicit stonewall option, preserving
existing behavior.
introducing dummy jobs (e.g., rw=null) can also serve other features,
such as waiting/thinking for a while between jobs (letting cache cool
off) or triggering external commands.