* Firmware Loading every boot?
@ 2014-02-10 13:29 Jeshwanth
From: Jeshwanth @ 2014-02-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello List,

I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots, don't dma holds which is loaded previously.
AFAIK, firmware is a program which runs in devices.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks :)

Regards,
Jeshwanth

Sent from my HTC
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Firmware Loading every boot?
@ 2014-02-10 13:57 ` Arun KS
From: Arun KS @ 2014-02-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Jeshwanth,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Jeshwanth <jeshkumar555@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
> But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots,
> don't dma holds which is loaded previously.

Might be because it is loaded in to some volatile memory like DDR, which
does not persist during reboots.

Thanks,
Arun

@ 2014-02-10 17:30   ` Jeshwanth Kumar N K
From: Jeshwanth Kumar N K @ 2014-02-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Arun,

Thanks for the reply :)

Which means all the firmware available in /lib/firmware loads to device
when device attached? (I mean to volatile memory of device)

I have one more doubt/assumption in this.

What I feel is, dynamically loading firmware is because of loading the
firmware for specific platform. i.e. Windows and Linux firmware (for same
device) are different, Windows loads firmware which is created for Windows,
and Linux loads firmware created for Linux systems.

Please let me know whether my assumption is right :)

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Arun KS <getarunks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeshwanth,
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Jeshwanth <jeshkumar555@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
>> But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots,
>> don't dma holds which is loaded previously.
>>
> Might be because it is loaded in to some volatile memory like DDR, which
> does not persist during reboots.
>
> Thanks,
> Arun
>

>> AFAIK, firmware is a program which runs in devices.
>>
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>

>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jeshwanth
>>
>> Sent from my HTC

Regards
Jeshwanth Kumar N K
Bangalore, India

@ 2014-02-11  4:42     ` Arun KS
From: Arun KS @ 2014-02-11  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Jeshwanth,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Jeshwanth Kumar N K <
jeshkumar555@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> Thanks for the reply :)
>
> Which means all the firmware available in /lib/firmware loads to device
> when device attached? (I mean to volatile memory of device)
>
> I have one more doubt/assumption in this.
>
> What I feel is, dynamically loading firmware is because of loading the
> firmware for specific platform. i.e. Windows and Linux firmware (for same
> device) are different, Windows loads firmware which is created for Windows,
> and Linux loads firmware created for Linux systems.

I don't think so. These binaries will not depend on OS(windows or linux)
and  will be specific to your pl310 controller.  PL310 is a microcontroller
and the loaded firmware is a program which runs on that.
It will be hardware specific. Just like you need to create different binary
for 8051, PIC or ARM.

HTH.

Thanks,
Arun

@ 2014-02-14  5:02 ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2014-02-14  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

FYI, the "firmware" are loaded from flash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

which means microcontroller (or microprocessor) + DMA/DDR memory + flash
are the usual makeup of an embedded system.   flash are non-volatile, but
normally it is slower and cannot be executed as CPU or microncontroller
instruction.   which is why you will need to load it into memory to be
executed:

http://lwn.net/Articles/135472/

cheers.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Jeshwanth <jeshkumar555@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
> But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots,
> don't dma holds which is loaded previously.
> AFAIK, firmware is a program which runs in devices.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Regards,
> Jeshwanth
>
> Sent from my HTC

Peter Teoh

@ 2014-02-15 18:34   ` Jeshwanth Kumar N K
From: Jeshwanth Kumar N K @ 2014-02-15 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks Peter and Arun,

I can understand now :)

Any good documentation to understand UEFI ?

--
Regards
Jeshwanth Kumar N K