* Re: Brightness hotkeys on HP laptop
       [not found] <2UUF9Q.RGK6EP27Y6W73@gmail.com>
@ 2020-11-05 16:45 ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2020-11-05 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gmail; +Cc: Platform Driver, Hans de Goede, Mark Gross

+Cc: subsystem maintainers

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: Brightness hotkeys on HP laptop
@ 2020-11-09 13:43   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2020-11-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko, Gmail; +Cc: Platform Driver, Mark Gross

Hi,

On 11/5/20 5:45 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> +Cc: subsystem maintainers
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Gmail <rhysperry111@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I am using a HP Pavillion 15-cx0598na.
>>
>> I am having trouble getting my brightness keys to be registered. It
>> should also be noted that my wireless toggle key does not work either -
>> I assume that is a seperate issue as it is handled by a different
>> module.
>>
>> Nothing is detected through acpi_listen, xev or showkey. However, in
>> the journal I get this error (same when pressing both keys):
>> ```
>> Apr 26 15:50:05 archlinux-laptop kernel: atkbd serio0: Unknown key
>> pressed (translated set 2, code 0xab on isa0060/serio0).
>> Apr 26 15:50:05 archlinux-laptop kernel: atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes
>> e02b <keycode>' to make it known.
>> ```
>> Here is a link to acpidump: https://termbin.com/2l2x
>>
>> I have already tried to contact the author of `hp_wmi` (the module for
>> handling some hotkeys) but he could not solve the issue so suggested
>> contacting this email.

So for the archives, this has already been discussed in another thread.

It seems that we need to make some special WMI calls for this, either
to figure out which key is actually pressed when receiving the
PS/2 scancode which is shared between multiple keys. Or to get the
device to send different scancodes.

This will require someone with some knowledge of ACPI/WMI as well
as of writing kernel code to get physical access to an affected HP
laptop to figure out what is going on and write some code to deal with
this special setup.

Regards,

Hans