* What am I missing?
@ 2015-05-17 13:32 Florian Grandel
From: Florian Grandel @ 2015-05-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann, Johan Hedberg; +Cc: Arman Uguray, BlueZ development

Hi Marcel and Johan,

here is what I did so far:

- I asked you whether contributions from newcomers are welcome (which
Marcel agreed to),

- I coordinated the development target and approach with Marcel to make
sure that my contribution will be generally useful and acceptable,

- I read lots of documentation to make sure that I'm asking as few
redundant questions as possible,

- I invested a considerable amount of time to put a useful contribution
together,

- Arman invested a considerable amount of time to review it,

- I again invested a considerable amount of time to work in all review
comments.

- I waited for several weeks and pinged you several times to get you to
do your part as maintainers...

What am I missing?? Did I overlook your response? Or is this the
"normal" Kernel community approach?

Please feel free to ignore this email and you'll not hear from me again.

Florian

* Re: What am I missing?
@ 2015-05-17 13:46 ` Johan Hedberg
From: Johan Hedberg @ 2015-05-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Grandel; +Cc: Marcel Holtmann, Arman Uguray, BlueZ development

Hi Florian,

On Sun, May 17, 2015, Florian Grandel wrote:
> Hi Marcel and Johan,
>
> here is what I did so far:
>
> - I asked you whether contributions from newcomers are welcome (which Marcel
> agreed to),
>
> - I coordinated the development target and approach with Marcel to make sure
> that my contribution will be generally useful and acceptable,
>
> - I read lots of documentation to make sure that I'm asking as few redundant
> questions as possible,
>
> - I invested a considerable amount of time to put a useful contribution
> together,
>
> - Arman invested a considerable amount of time to review it,
>
> - I again invested a considerable amount of time to work in all review
> comments.
>
> - I waited for several weeks and pinged you several times to get you to do
> your part as maintainers...
>
> What am I missing?? Did I overlook your response? Or is this the "normal"
> Kernel community approach?

No need to get worried or frustrated about your set. It hasn't been
forgotten about and it hasn't lost the chance to get included in the
first possible kernel release, i.e. 4.2. It'll very likely go into a
bluetooth-next pull request before the 4.2 merge window opens.

For my part I have no major objections after reading it through a couple
of times - I remember Marcel saying he'd take a look after Arman's
review, which is what I've mostly be waiting for. But in no case has
your set been forgotten.

Johan

* Re: What am I missing?
@ 2015-05-18  0:22   ` Florian Grandel
From: Florian Grandel @ 2015-05-18  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development, Arman Uguray, Marcel Holtmann

> Hi Florian,
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2015, Florian Grandel wrote:
> > Hi Marcel and Johan,
> >
> > here is what I did so far:
> >
> > - I asked you whether contributions from newcomers are welcome (which
Marcel
> > agreed to),
> >
> > - I coordinated the development target and approach with Marcel to make
sure
> > that my contribution will be generally useful and acceptable,
> >
> > - I read lots of documentation to make sure that I'm asking as few
redundant
> > questions as possible,
> >
> > - I invested a considerable amount of time to put a useful contribution
> > together,
> >
> > - Arman invested a considerable amount of time to review it,
> >
> > - I again invested a considerable amount of time to work in all review
> > comments.
> >
> > - I waited for several weeks and pinged you several times to get you to
do
> > your part as maintainers...
> >
> > What am I missing?? Did I overlook your response? Or is this the
"normal"
> > Kernel community approach?
>
> No need to get worried or frustrated about your set. It hasn't been
> forgotten about and it hasn't lost the chance to get included in the
> first possible kernel release, i.e. 4.2. It'll very likely go into a
> bluetooth-next pull request before the 4.2 merge window opens.
>
> For my part I have no major objections after reading it through a couple
> of times - I remember Marcel saying he'd take a look after Arman's
> review, which is what I've mostly be waiting for. But in no case has
> your set been forgotten.

Ok, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I really got frustrated w/o getting
any feedback but now it's ok. :)

* Re: What am I missing?
@ 2015-05-19 19:28     ` Arman Uguray
From: Arman Uguray @ 2015-05-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Grandel; +Cc: BlueZ development, Marcel Holtmann

Hi Florian,

> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Florian Grandel <fgrandel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Florian,
>>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2015, Florian Grandel wrote:
>> > Hi Marcel and Johan,
>> >
>> > here is what I did so far:
>> >
>> > - I asked you whether contributions from newcomers are welcome (which
>> > Marcel
>> > agreed to),
>> >
>> > - I coordinated the development target and approach with Marcel to make
>> > sure
>> > that my contribution will be generally useful and acceptable,
>> >
>> > - I read lots of documentation to make sure that I'm asking as few
>> > redundant
>> > questions as possible,
>> >
>> > - I invested a considerable amount of time to put a useful contribution
>> > together,
>> >
>> > - Arman invested a considerable amount of time to review it,
>> >
>> > - I again invested a considerable amount of time to work in all review
>> > comments.
>> >
>> > - I waited for several weeks and pinged you several times to get you to
>> > do
>> > your part as maintainers...
>> >
>> > What am I missing?? Did I overlook your response? Or is this the
>> > "normal"
>> > Kernel community approach?
>>
>> No need to get worried or frustrated about your set. It hasn't been
>> forgotten about and it hasn't lost the chance to get included in the
>> first possible kernel release, i.e. 4.2. It'll very likely go into a
>> bluetooth-next pull request before the 4.2 merge window opens.
>>
>> For my part I have no major objections after reading it through a couple
>> of times - I remember Marcel saying he'd take a look after Arman's
>> review, which is what I've mostly be waiting for. But in no case has
>> your set been forgotten.
>>

> Ok, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I really got frustrated w/o getting
> any feedback but now it's ok. :)

Sorry that I couldn't respond to this thread sooner (I've been out
sick). I feel that the #bluez IRC channel is a good resource in these
situations where there's long-term radio silence over the mailing
list. The maintainers are generally very active on the channel
(assuming you're in their time zone) and they usually respond to your
messages pretty quickly. So feel free to give that a shot. You can
find more info on the IRC channels here: http://www.bluez.org/contact/

As far as your patches go, I don't have any more comments beyond the
ones that I left earlier and you've already addressed them, so it's up
to Marcel to take a look now.

Thanks!
Arman

* Re: What am I missing?
@ 2015-05-19 19:59       ` Florian Grandel
From: Florian Grandel @ 2015-05-19 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arman Uguray; +Cc: BlueZ development, Marcel Holtmann

Hi Arman,

On 05/19/2015 09:28 PM, Arman Uguray wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Florian Grandel <fgrandel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Florian,

>>> No need to get worried or frustrated about your set. It hasn't been
>>> forgotten about and it hasn't lost the chance to get included in the
>>> first possible kernel release, i.e. 4.2. It'll very likely go into a
>>> bluetooth-next pull request before the 4.2 merge window opens.
>>>
>>> For my part I have no major objections after reading it through a couple
>>> of times - I remember Marcel saying he'd take a look after Arman's
>>> review, which is what I've mostly be waiting for. But in no case has
>>> your set been forgotten.
>>>

>> Ok, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I really got frustrated w/o getting
>> any feedback but now it's ok. :)
>
> Sorry that I couldn't respond to this thread sooner (I've been out
> sick). I feel that the #bluez IRC channel is a good resource in these
> situations where there's long-term radio silence over the mailing
> list. The maintainers are generally very active on the channel
> (assuming you're in their time zone) and they usually respond to your
> messages pretty quickly. So feel free to give that a shot. You can
> find more info on the IRC channels here: http://www.bluez.org/contact/
>
> As far as your patches go, I don't have any more comments beyond the
> ones that I left earlier and you've already addressed them, so it's up
> to Marcel to take a look now.
Thanks for your feedback. I'll test #bluez next time. :-)

Florian