* Save verify_state continuously
@ 2018-11-15  6:56 Mousumi Mullick
From: Mousumi Mullick @ 2018-11-15  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

I am planning to run fio on a dozens of virtual machines across
multiple physical hosts and at some point will power off a physical
host. As fio workload is running I will be triggering random VM
migrations across a set of physical hosts. Since powering off a
physical host will abruptly power off all VMs running on that host,
none of the fio processes in them will have a verify_state file saved.

Given this test, I was wondering if there is a way for fio to
continuously save verify_state to a file so that I can use it
unconditionally on a subsequent power on to verify the data written so
far?

Mousumi Mullick

* Re: Save verify_state continuously
@ 2018-11-15 11:30 ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2018-11-15 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mousumi.mullick; +Cc: fio

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 06:57, Mousumi Mullick <mousumi.mullick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning to run fio on a dozens of virtual machines across
> multiple physical hosts and at some point will power off a physical
> host. As fio workload is running I will be triggering random VM
> migrations across a set of physical hosts. Since powering off a
> physical host will abruptly power off all VMs running on that host,
> none of the fio processes in them will have a verify_state file saved.
>
> Given this test, I was wondering if there is a way for fio to
> continuously save verify_state to a file so that I can use it
> unconditionally on a subsequent power on to verify the data written so
> far?

Why not create a trigger file (see
https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-trigger-file
, https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#verification-and-triggers
) to let fio know it needs to do a state save (it will also exit
itself)? You may even be able to arrange for fio to send a command
that powers the host off if you're using the client/server model with
the appropriate trigger type. Further, don't you need to know fio has
finished doing the state save correctly (note the that the trigger
file will be deleted when fio is done with it)? If you power off a VM
halfway through fio saving its state you risk generating/getting an
incomplete/corrupt state file...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: Save verify_state continuously
@ 2018-11-15 18:37   ` Mousumi Mullick
From: Mousumi Mullick @ 2018-11-15 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sitsofe; +Cc: fio

I did think about trigger file but I have some constraints with our
infrastructure that makes it difficult to create a trigger file in the
VMs before resetting the physical hosts. Also, I thought of having NFS
mounts on all VMs and using that location for trigger file but again
the infrastructure constraints are not helpful in this regards too.
Given all the constraints and the solutions that I have thought of
(mostly around trigger file) I am not able to come up with a solution.
This may not be an issue if there is a way in fio to checkpoint the
state file periodically from the start of a test.

@ 2018-11-15 19:30     ` Mousumi Mullick
From: Mousumi Mullick @ 2018-11-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sitsofe; +Cc: fio

If its possible to get this feature in a test/private build, I can try
it out. It would be very helpful if I can continue using FIO in our
framework.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM Mousumi Mullick

@ 2018-11-18  6:01       ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2018-11-18  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mousumi Mullick; +Cc: fio

Hi Mousumi,

Putting aside the corrupt checkpoint file issue (maybe you have to
write two in a transactional fashion), another problem with writing a
checkpoint periodically is what happens if you have an overwrite of
previously written data between when the checkpoint was last taken but
before the next checkpoint could happen (because you powered off in
between)? How do you know that you actually need to expect something
different / ignore that overwritten data? To cope with that you'd need
to record an intent log of what you are going to do before the next
checkpoint so you knew what NOT to check as well. If you're
checkpointing by time how do you know what that's going to be?

You can always ask but to be clear (and speaking just for myself) -
I'm a volunteer on this project on my personal time so I don't commit
to a roadmap or to implement new features etc (plus there's a big list
of things that'd I'd like to do with fio and that will keep me busy
for a long time). If you need a new feature done in fio, the best
approach is to create the code that implements it yourself (or find
someone to code it up for you :-) and then send the patch/pull request
to the fio project for review.

If fio currently doesn't quite fit your use case and you can't use it
then no worries - that's just the way things turn out sometimes :-)

PS: Don't forget if you are operating fio in client/server mode then
there is both a local and a remote trigger and those fios running as
servers can send their job states back to the client for safe storage
(Last paragraph of "Verification and triggers" on
https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#verification-and-triggers
)...