* Cannot disable weston
@ 2020-05-06 20:28 Tom Hochstein
From: Tom Hochstein @ 2020-05-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)
  Cc: Otavio Salvador

We are no longer able to disable weston service with standard `systemctl disable weston@root.service`. On boot the service is started again. It seems likely this started with the introduction of a starting udev rule:

https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/aa3bced2e1de2f4ba507aa014835b06edccc138a#diff-d92aa97566c1bd0dd1eb817bb4511cda

Is this behaving correctly? Can the rule be made to honor the service disablement?

Tom

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 11574 bytes --]

* Re: [OE-core] Cannot disable weston
@ 2020-05-06 20:42 ` Andrey Zhizhikin
From: Andrey Zhizhikin @ 2020-05-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hochstein
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org),
	Otavio Salvador

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:29 PM Tom Hochstein <tom.hochstein@nxp.com> wrote:

> We are no longer able to disable weston service with standard `systemctl disable weston@root.service`.

I've faced similar issues a while back, and also found out that weston
has been actually started twice: once from udev, and once from
systemd. At that time, I removed the udev locally on the EVK and
didn't look further into it.

> On boot the service is started again. It seems likely this started with the introduction of a starting udev rule:
>
> https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/aa3bced2e1de2f4ba507aa014835b06edccc138a#diff-d92aa97566c1bd0dd1eb817bb4511cda
>
> Is this behaving correctly? Can the rule be made to honor the service disablement?

Or the other way around: can the systemd service be disabled? Or in
general: is it possible to leave only one of those mechanisms, and
which one is the correct one?

> Tom

Andrey.

* Re: [OE-core] Cannot disable weston
@ 2020-05-06 20:58   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-05-06 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Zhizhikin, Khem Raj
  Cc: Tom Hochstein,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

Hello all,

Adding Khem on Cc.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:29 PM Tom Hochstein <tom.hochstein@nxp.com> wrote:
> >
> > We are no longer able to disable weston service with standard `systemctl disable weston@root.service`.
>
> I've faced similar issues a while back, and also found out that weston
> has been actually started twice: once from udev, and once from
> systemd. At that time, I removed the udev locally on the EVK and
> didn't look further into it.
>
> > On boot the service is started again. It seems likely this started with the introduction of a starting udev rule:
> >
> > https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/aa3bced2e1de2f4ba507aa014835b06edccc138a#diff-d92aa97566c1bd0dd1eb817bb4511cda
> >
> > Is this behaving correctly? Can the rule be made to honor the service disablement?
>
> Or the other way around: can the systemd service be disabled? Or in
> general: is it possible to leave only one of those mechanisms, and
> which one is the correct one?

Why the udev support was added and why this cannot be done in the service?

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

* Re: [OE-core] Cannot disable weston
@ 2020-05-16 14:59     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-05-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: Andrey Zhizhikin, Tom Hochstein,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Adding Khem on Cc.
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:29 PM Tom Hochstein <tom.hochstein@nxp.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > We are no longer able to disable weston service with standard `systemctl disable weston@root.service`.
> >
> > I've faced similar issues a while back, and also found out that weston
> > has been actually started twice: once from udev, and once from
> > systemd. At that time, I removed the udev locally on the EVK and
> > didn't look further into it.
> >
> > > On boot the service is started again. It seems likely this started with the introduction of a starting udev rule:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/aa3bced2e1de2f4ba507aa014835b06edccc138a#diff-d92aa97566c1bd0dd1eb817bb4511cda
> > >
> > > Is this behaving correctly? Can the rule be made to honor the service disablement?
> >
> > Or the other way around: can the systemd service be disabled? Or in
> > general: is it possible to leave only one of those mechanisms, and
> > which one is the correct one?
>
> Why the udev support was added and why this cannot be done in the service?

udev service integrates well when you have weston but for some reason
no drm on machine so it only launches
when system detects graphics/drm

if you need to manually control it then disable the udev rule and it
will show up disabled always and then can be managed
manually.

@ 2020-05-17 21:51       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-05-17 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: Andrey Zhizhikin, Tom Hochstein,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

Hello Khem,

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:00 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Adding Khem on Cc.

> > > I've faced similar issues a while back, and also found out that weston
> > > has been actually started twice: once from udev, and once from
> > > systemd. At that time, I removed the udev locally on the EVK and
> > > didn't look further into it.

> > > Or the other way around: can the systemd service be disabled? Or in
> > > general: is it possible to leave only one of those mechanisms, and
> > > which one is the correct one?
> >
> > Why the udev support was added and why this cannot be done in the service?
> >

> udev service integrates well when you have weston but for some reason
> no drm on machine so it only launches
> when system detects graphics/drm
>
> if you need to manually control it then disable the udev rule and it
> will show up disabled always and then can be managed
> manually.

I understand the use case you are intending to cover however:

- we now have two overlapping mechanisms to start the weston service
- we have more than a way to control the weston service

it is confusing and I don't foresee a easy way to disable the udev
service. How do you think it should be done?

@ 2020-05-17 23:21         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-05-17 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: Andrey Zhizhikin, Tom Hochstein,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	(openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 2:52 PM Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> Hello Khem,
>
> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:00 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Otavio Salvador
> > <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Adding Khem on Cc.

> > > Why the udev support was added and why this cannot be done in the service?
> > >

> > udev service integrates well when you have weston but for some reason
> > no drm on machine so it only launches
> > when system detects graphics/drm
> >
> > if you need to manually control it then disable the udev rule and it
> > will show up disabled always and then can be managed
> > manually.
>
> I understand the use case you are intending to cover however:
>
> - we now have two overlapping mechanisms to start the weston service
> - we have more than a way to control the weston service
>
> it is confusing and I don't foresee a easy way to disable the udev
> service. How do you think it should be done?

In a bbappend remove udev service. Like you would do to disable
service if it was controlled by systemd service