* Hypercall overhead measurement on Xen/ARM
@ 2015-01-16 16:17 Jintack Lim
From: Jintack Lim @ 2015-01-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Christoffer Dall, Shih-Wei Li

Hi,

I'm trying to measure number of cycles for hypercalls.
I'm working on ARM v7 and v8.

Xentrace seems to be a right tool to use according to this discussion.
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-10/msg00480.html

However when I ran it on ARM, it gave an error.
The error is the same as in this discussion in 2014 below.
Xentrace on ARM is not supported?
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00154.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00206.html

Are there other tools for this purpose?

Thanks,
Jintack

* Re: Hypercall overhead measurement on Xen/ARM
@ 2015-01-19 12:58 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2015-01-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jintack Lim; +Cc: Christoffer Dall, Shih-Wei Li, xen-devel

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Jintack Lim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to measure number of cycles for hypercalls.
> I'm working on ARM v7 and v8.
>
> Xentrace seems to be a right tool to use according to this discussion.
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-10/msg00480.html
>
> However when I ran it on ARM, it gave an error.
> The error is the same as in this discussion in 2014 below.
> Xentrace on ARM is not supported?
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00154.html
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00206.html
>
> Are there other tools for this purpose?

Hello Jintack,
xentrance has not been ported to ARM yet, but it would be great to have
it!

Otherwise you can just read CNTPCT (you can call get_s_time()) at the
right places.

Cheers,

Stefano