From: Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: request for i.MX8MM Venice test
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 12:35:32 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 8:47 AM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:10 PM Marek Behun <marek.behun@nic.cz> wrote:
> >
> > [sorry for the spam, I accidentally sent this e-mail from my personal
> > address]
> >
> > Hello Tim,
> >
> > you are listed as maintainer of i.MX8MM Venice board in U-Boot.
> >
> > I am currently working on LTO support for U-Boot, and I have
> > encountered a problem with i.MX8MM Venice board:
> > when LTO is enabled, the linking process for SPL does not throw away
> > relocation information, making the resulting SPL image too big for that
> > board.
> >
> > I have added a patch that discards symbols from .rela* section to my
> > patch series, but I would like you to test whether the patch series
> > works for your board and does not break anything.
> >
> > Could you please clone https://github.com/elkablo/u-boot branch lto,
> > build for imx8mm_venice_defconfig and test whether it boots on your
> > board and maybe test some U-Boot commands (disk reads, kernel
> > booting, ...)? If it does not work, could you also please check with
> > current U-Boot master, to see if it got broken with my patches or with
> > something different?
> >

> Marek,
>
> Your lto branch does not boot - I don't get anything after the SPL
> banner. U-Boot master shows the same problem so some regression has
> taken place.
>
> There should be several other IMX8 boards using SPL that show the same
> issue I would think?
>
> I will have to bisect to find the breakage.

Marek,

My testing may be flawed as I'm having issues with even the branches I
submitted to add my board (which I previously tested without issues).
I'm not sure if I'm having a compiler related issue or something else.

Perhaps there is another IMX8 SPL user out there that can test with
your patches while I figure out what's wrong on my end?

Tim