* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-07 14:05 Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-07 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,
I have problem with antenna diversity, when i unplug one of two exists
antennas (the main one) i don't receive the same data and don't see the
same networks as when 2 antennas connected --> so i understand that
diversity doesn't work.
I was told that diversity should be enabled by default, but it seems like
it is not.
Those i want to enable lna1+lna2 hardware based diversity (not software) ,
how can i do that? which register? in which function? is it possible at
all?

thanks in advance,
Michael
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-08 19:09 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2012-02-08 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

The AR9285 by default:

* TXes on Main only;
* Can RX on both, with the LNA mixing you've described;
* Can do RX fast antenna diversity.

If for some reason the card vendor has glued an external antenna
switch to the AR9285, it'll support TX diversity as well.

So you can't just unplug the main antenna and continue TX'ing.

Also, the LNA1/LNA2 mixing is implemented in ath9k but only enabled
for boards that support it - and then, only for STA mode. Grep the
source for LNA1. :-)

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-09  5:54 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-02-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Michael Goberman <micgob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> I have problem with antenna diversity, when i unplug one of two exists
> antennas (the main one) i don't receive the same data and don't see the same
> networks as when 2 antennas connected --> so i understand that diversity
> doesn't work.

did you try with the debug patch i had attached, please dump the info from it.
please remove only the antenna 1(ant 0, ant 1)

> I was told that diversity should be enabled by default, but it seems like it
> is not.
> Those i want to enable lna1+lna2 hardware based diversity (not software) ,
> how can i do that? which register? in which function? is it possible at
> all?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Michael

shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-12  9:47   ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-12  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,
thanks for your response, i grepped the code under "ath" path for "LNA1"
and have found only definitions of:
1.AR_PHY_9285_ANT_DIV_LNA1
2.AR_PHY_9285_ANT_DIV_LNA1_PLUS_LNA2
3.AR_PHY_9285_ANT_DIV_LNA1_MINUS_LNA2
what does it tells us? how can i check whether my board support it or not?
(mainly unplugging the main antenna is only for checking diversity...)

thanks

@ 2012-02-12  9:52   ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-12  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,
i applied the your patch, except the change in "ath9k_hw_fill_cap_info"
because i have driver version that doesn't include this if statement... the
output i've got after unplugging the main anenna is :
HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 1391395840 ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151565512 ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values

what does it tell us? and why do we have initialization method ( setting
the device via eeprom parameters) activated a lot of times and not only
once when we up?

thanks

@ 2012-02-12 23:39     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2012-02-12 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Are you wanting actual _TX_ to work?

If so, you almost certainly can't unplug the MAIN antenna on an AR9285.

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-13  4:40       ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-13  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,
I just want to verify that diversity works, in order to check it i am
unplugging the main antenna an expecting to see the same RX, the same
number of available networks.
for now after unplugging i don't see the most of networks -> those i guess
that diversity doesn't work and cause some other problems.
I've checked ath spec and didn't find a way to activate diversity..and here
i am :)

@ 2012-02-13  7:50         ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2012-02-13  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I have no idea whether the mac80211 scan code is doing active probing
in order to populate the scan cache.

That's what I'd next check out.

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-13  8:31           ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

do you know what exactly the commands i need to execute in order to
activate diversity in AR9285 ?

@ 2012-02-13 18:23             ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2012-02-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 13 February 2012 00:31, Michael Goberman <micgob@gmail.com> wrote:
> do you know what exactly the commands i need to execute in order to activate
> diversity in AR9285 ?

No, I can only really help at the driver and chip level.

My previous email still stands - I think you need to establish whether
the population of the scan list in mac80211 requires probe _responses_
to appear. If so, then you _must_ have the MAIN antenna connected.

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-14 10:11               ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

thanks a lot Adrian ,
I still see 10% of the networks so it is not TX issue, it is something with
diversity i think...
maybe Mohammed can get any information from register print I've attached
before...it should be some configuration in register...

@ 2012-02-14 10:26     ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-02-14 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Michael Goberman <micgob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i applied the your patch, except the change in "ath9k_hw_fill_cap_info"
> because i have driver version that doesn't include this if statement... the
> output i've got after unplugging the main anenna is :
> HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 1391395840 ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
> HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151565512 ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
>
> what does it tell us? and why do we have initialization method ( setting the
> device via eeprom parameters) activated a lot of times and not only once
> when we up?

hey ath9k_hw_fill_cap_info is important it lets us know if ant
diversity is enabled in EEPROM
could you please try with some latest compat wireless. i need to
analyze those register stuff

--
shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-14 11:57       ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-14 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,
i added the print to  ath9k_hw_fill_cap_info   , and i don't see it in
dmesg.
it tell us that the diversity is disabled in the EEPROM?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Mohammed Shafi

@ 2012-02-15  9:21         ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-02-15  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Michael Goberman <micgob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

hi

> i added the print to? ath9k_hw_fill_cap_info?? , and i don't see it in
> dmesg.
> it tell us that the diversity is disabled in the EEPROM?

yes,  you could try to override and see if it helps. wait may be i
could dump my registers and those eeprom values you can override it. i
would do it today evening

--
shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros AR 9285 antenna diversity
@ 2012-02-15 12:21           ` Michael Goberman
From: Michael Goberman @ 2012-02-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

thanks, i'll try with your registers values.
waiting for your updates

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Mohammed Shafi

@ 2012-02-15 13:52             ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-02-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

please try with the hacked patch and see if it helps

more data.. you enable ath9k debug see your dump to

hey you could try with the Antenna diversity Ctl1 and ctl2 values

 Ant. Diversity ctl1 :         11
 Ant. Diversity ctl2 :          6

i had produced a debug dump for you
instructions http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/debug

/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k $ sudo cat modal_eeprom

  2GHz modal Header :
 Chain0 Ant. Control :          0
 Ant. Common Control :          0
    Chain0 Ant. Gain :          0
       Switch Settle :         44
    Chain0 TxRxAtten :         32
   Chain0 RxTxMargin :          0
    ADC Desired size :        226
    PGA Desired size :          0
    Chain0 xlna Gain :         13
       txEndToXpaOff :          0
         txEndToRxOn :          2
      txFrameToXpaOn :         14
      CCA Threshold) :         28
 Chain0 NF Threshold :        186
             xpdGain :         12
         External PD :          1
Chain0 I Coefficient :          0
Chain0 Q Coefficient :          0
       pdGainOverlap :          6
    O/D Bias Version :          3
      CCK OutputBias :          6
     BPSK OutputBias :          4
     QPSK OutputBias :          4
    16QAM OutputBias :          4
    64QAM OutputBias :          4
    CCK Driver1_Bias :          4
   BPSK Driver1_Bias :          3
   QPSK Driver1_Bias :          3
  16QAM Driver1_Bias :          3
  64QAM Driver1_Bias :          3
    CCK Driver2_Bias :          4
   BPSK Driver2_Bias :          3
   QPSK Driver2_Bias :          3
  16QAM Driver2_Bias :          3
  64QAM Driver2_Bias :          3
      xPA Bias Level :          1
  txFrameToDataStart :         14
       txFrameToPaOn :         14
     HT40 Power Inc. :          0
     Chain0 bswAtten :          0
    Chain0 bswMargin :         31
  HT40 Switch Settle :         44
    Chain0 xatten2Db :          0
Chain0 xatten2Margin :          0
 Ant. Diversity ctl1 :         11
 Ant. Diversity ctl2 :          6
        TX Diversity :          0

/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k $ sudo cat base_eeprom
       Major Version :         14
       Minor Version :         13
            Checksum :      19760
              Length :        376
          RegDomain1 :          0
          RegDomain2 :          0
             TX Mask :          1
             RX Mask :          1
          Allow 5GHz :          0
          Allow 2GHz :          1
   Disable 2GHz HT20 :          0
   Disable 2GHz HT40 :          0
   Disable 5Ghz HT20 :          0
   Disable 5Ghz HT40 :          0
          Big Endian :          0
   Cal Bin Major Ver :          0
   Cal Bin Minor Ver :          8
       Cal Bin Build :         10
        TX Gain type :          0
          MacAddress : 00:03:7f:0f:a6:d5

i should have dumped in it in hex

shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13336.037775] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13336.037787] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13336.526943] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13336.526959] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13336.526971] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13336.870898] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13336.870913] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13336.870926] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.043474] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13376.043489] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.043502] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.526909] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13376.526925] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.526938] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.870882] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13376.870897] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13376.870910] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.040588] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13436.040595] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.040602] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.526877] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13436.526892] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.526905] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.866885] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13436.866900] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13436.866913] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.035864] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13516.035872] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.035878] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.526898] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13516.526914] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.526926] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.866901] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13516.866916] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13516.866929] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13616.040244] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13616.040252] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13616.040258] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13616.526683] shafi *** pModal->version is 3
[13616.526690] HELLO AR_PHY_MULTICHAIN_GAIN_CTL is 770638848
ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_values
[13616.526697] HELLO AR_PHY_CCK_DETECT is 2151573704 ath9k_hw_4k_set_board_va

--
shafi