* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-02-27 18:45 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-02-27 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Looks like -ac hardware is starting to hit the market....

Will these use the ath9k driver, or is there some other
driver for these NICs?

http://unex.com.tw/product/dnxa-90

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-02-28  1:06 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-02-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 27 February 2013 10:45, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> Looks like -ac hardware is starting to hit the market....
>
> Will these use the ath9k driver, or is there some other
> driver for these NICs?
>
> http://unex.com.tw/product/dnxa-90

*cough* there's a new driver in progress. It wont' be ath9k - the
architecture involves an offload CPU (much like how ath6k NICs work.)

Thanks,

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-02-28  2:52   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-02-28  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 02/27/2013 05:06 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 27 February 2013 10:45, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
>> Looks like -ac hardware is starting to hit the market....
>>
>> Will these use the ath9k driver, or is there some other
>> driver for these NICs?
>>
>> http://unex.com.tw/product/dnxa-90
>
> *cough* there's a new driver in progress. It wont' be ath9k - the
> architecture involves an offload CPU (much like how ath6k NICs work.)

Any idea when at least a beta will be released?

Will it support multiple stations and/or APs like ath9k/ath5k does?

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-02-28  5:57     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-02-28  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 27 February 2013 18:52, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> Any idea when at least a beta will be released?

Nope.

> Will it support multiple stations and/or APs like ath9k/ath5k does?

I believe multi-AP, but as the device runs firmware we'll be a slave
to whatever said firmware supports. But yes, multi-AP will certainly
work.

Multi-STA - no idea.

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-02-28 17:39       ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-02-28 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 02/27/2013 09:57 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 27 February 2013 18:52, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
>
>> Any idea when at least a beta will be released?
>
> Nope.
>
>> Will it support multiple stations and/or APs like ath9k/ath5k does?
>
> I believe multi-AP, but as the device runs firmware we'll be a slave
> to whatever said firmware supports. But yes, multi-AP will certainly
> work.
>
> Multi-STA - no idea.

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and hope...multi-AP is mildly
interesting, but it's stations I really care about.

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-02-28 17:47         ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-02-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 28 February 2013 09:39, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and hope...multi-AP is mildly
> interesting, but it's stations I really care about.

I believe there's multi-STA support for _something_ (eg p2p
operations) but it isn't going to be the 128 - 256 stations that you
want.

The MAC looks a lot like the 11n series chips from a programming
perspective but with some key differences (eg keycache handling, some
of the offload processing.) I'm sure the hardware could be coaxed into
doing the multi-STA operation that you want but it'll require firmware
changes.

As for open source 11ac chipset firmware - I'm going to pre-empt you
guys right now and say there's currently no plans for that. Check back
in 12 months. :-)

Adrian

* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-03-05  0:28           ` Daniel Smith
From: Daniel Smith @ 2013-03-05  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> The MAC looks a lot like the 11n series chips from a programming
> perspective but with some key differences (eg keycache handling, some
> of the offload processing.) I'm sure the hardware could be coaxed into
> doing the multi-STA operation that you want but it'll require firmware
> changes.
>
> As for open source 11ac chipset firmware - I'm going to pre-empt you
> guys right now and say there's currently no plans for that. Check back
> in 12 months. :-)

Any word on monitor mode?

V/r
Daniel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Support for QCA9890 chipset?
@ 2013-03-05  8:20             ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-03-05  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I think the best thing to do for now is wait for the new driver to appear :-)

I don't want to insert myself into a process I don't really have much
control over or time for at the moment.

Thanks,

adrian