* AR9170 chipset details
@ 2011-09-13  8:02 Louis
From: Louis @ 2011-09-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello,

I need a detailed description of the Atheros AR9170 chipset.
Since Qualcomm and Atheros merged, there are only descriptions of the most recent chips available on their homepage and even not in the detailed depth I would like to have.

Does someone know if there is a reference guide or a detailed datasheet with the chip`s functions and register descriptions available somewhere.

On which information base has the carl91790 driver been developed?

Kind regards,
Louis

* Re: AR9170 chipset details
@ 2011-09-14  4:09 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-09-14  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 13 September 2011 16:02, Louis <louis.m@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need a detailed description of the Atheros AR9170 chipset.

You're not going to find anything publicly detailed, unfortunately.

> Since Qualcomm and Atheros merged, there are only descriptions of the most recent chips available on their homepage and even not in the detailed depth I would like to have.

What kind of detailed descriptions are you after?

> Does someone know if there is a reference guide or a detailed datasheet with the chip`s functions and register descriptions available somewhere.

There's nothing private. There may be documentation available if
you're working on open source AR9170 support.

> On which information base has the carl91790 driver been developed?

The Otus firmware sources were thrown into a git repository a while
ago; I believe this formed a base for some of the AR9170 open source
work.

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/otus.git

Other than that, Christian is likely the best person to talk to as
he's the AR9170 firmware maintainer.

adrian

* Re: AR9170 chipset details
@ 2011-09-14  9:38 ` Christian Lamparter
From: Christian Lamparter @ 2011-09-14  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis; +Cc: linux-wireless, Luis R. Rodriguez

On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:02:46 AM Louis wrote:
> I need a detailed description of the Atheros AR9170 chipset.
Well, there's me and Stephen. He usually handels the stuff thats
not in the documents but unfortunately I don't have his new
qualcomm email... Luis, do you have it?

> Does someone know if there is a reference guide or a detailed datasheet
> with the chip`s functions and register descriptions available somewhere.
You can learn a lot from the original otus driver and firmware
sources. In fact thats the only ressources I had during most of
the development. I have my doubts about the docs. They are not
of much help anyway since they sort of divert from the actual
silicon.

> On which information base has the carl9170 driver been developed?
Original otus driver and the firmware... Unfortunately, most of
the stuff was hosted on kernel.org which is currently unavailable.
[I do have copies, but I don't carry them around so I can't provide
a backup atm.]

Regards,
	Chr

* Re: AR9170 chipset details
@ 2011-09-14 11:15   ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-09-14 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Lamparter; +Cc: Louis, linux-wireless, Luis R. Rodriguez

I have a backup of the ar9170, carl9170, and otus git repos.

Where shall I put 'em?

Adrian