* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-05 18:50 Ricardo Tubío
From: Ricardo Tubío @ 2013-04-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I am now working with the GCDC v3 branch software and, after compiling it, I
found that you still have to do some hacks on that code for it to work
properly. I have made a couple of patches and, with that, I have achieved the
following:

1) Full ITS band support (channels 176-184 @5.8-5.9 GHz).
2) iw tool modified for setting the beacon interval.
3) airemon-ng and aircrack utils support for the ITS band channels (by
default, they do not support any channel above 120).

Currently, I am working on the following issues:

1) Packet injection support through 'aireplay-ng' by patching ath5k with the
patches that I found on their website.
2) Bandwidth selection instead of turbo mode selection. For this, I am based
my patch on the following patch submitted previously to the linux-networking
group: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/59932

 I am testing all this and I have a network analyzer up to 6 GHz, so I can
fully verified the integrity of the signal generated.

I would appreciate that anybody can provide me any support on these tasks.

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-06 19:25 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Tubío; +Cc: linux-wireless

.. has anyone figured out the licencing requirements/restrictions for
this stuff?

adrian

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-08 19:16               ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Kossifidis; +Cc: linux-wireless, Ricardo Tubío Pardavila

.. here's what Monthadar has put together thus far:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/802.11p

The two interesting bits:

1) reset within two TU;
2) timing: 'From amendment: "When a STA transmits the Timing
Advertisement frame, the Timestamp shall be set to the value of the
STA’s TSF timer at the time that the data symbol containing the first
bit of the Timestamp is transmitted to the PHY plus the transmitting
STA’s delays through its local PHY from the MAC-PHY interface to its
interface with the WM [e.g., antenna, light emitting diode (LED)
emission surface]'

Are these still required in 802.11-2012? If so, that's going to be fun to meet:

* Ar9380 and later have what I believe is supported and tested
fast-channel-change within a single band (ie, 5GHz-5GHz changes, but
not 5->2 or 2->5 changes) so that should be met.
* .. but the timing advertisement frame is going to be fun to meet. I
don't think Atheros hardware supports that out of the box. So we may
not be able to meet that requirement.

Hm! I'll ask around internally and see what people think.

But the rest of 802.11p is definitely doable.

Grr, these people defining standards that requires the MAC and PHY to
inject crap into the stream.. making things non backwards compatible.
Sigh.

Adrian

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-07 17:49             ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Kossifidis; +Cc: linux-wireless, Ricardo Tubío Pardavila

On 7 April 2013 03:51, Nick Kossifidis <mickflemm@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, so far I 've talked with many people about 802.11p, I 've
> helped most of them with their implementations and so far we have no
> incoming patches. They just don't seem to care if 802.11p support goes
> into mainline.

Shocking!

:-)

One of the FreeBSD wifi developers has nicely built a table for what's
needed for 802.11p support, at least from the kernel side. I'll get it
tidied up and pushed online so we can both take a stab at fixing up
the kernel/driver support.

Some of it is mostly done in linux (half/quarter rate), we will need a
new mode where beacons are disabled; but the fun bits are stuff like
the QoS configuration parameters, time synchronisation stuff and
apparently some requirement that channel change happen within a TU.

That last one? Full of hilarity.

Adrian

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-07 10:51           ` Nick Kossifidis
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2013-04-07 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd; +Cc: linux-wireless, Ricardo Tubío Pardavila

       [not found]       ` <CAMqNPvLAea9N2eSjkNo7s-4aNFoQMfkSDesTxfZFSiNWXdHB2w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-05 20:37         ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-05 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Tubío Pardavila; +Cc: Nick Kossifidis, linux-wireless

@ 2013-04-05  9:53     ` Adrian Chadd
       [not found]       ` <CAMqNPvLAea9N2eSjkNo7s-4aNFoQMfkSDesTxfZFSiNWXdHB2w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-05  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Kossifidis; +Cc: linux-wireless, Ricardo Tubío

.. so all they do is switch beacons off? The rest of it is just raw
frames and doing channel switching from userland?

Adrian

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-05  9:45   ` Nick Kossifidis
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2013-04-05  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd; +Cc: linux-wireless, Ricardo Tubío

On Wed Apr  3 23:56:46 2013, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 3 April 2013 00:30, Ricardo Tubío <rtpardavila@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My name is Ricardo Tubío and I am currently trying to use GCDC patches for the
>> 'ath5k' driver in order to meet IEEE 802.11p automotive requirements. I would
>> like to know if somebody has either a patch for deactivating the beacon or can
>> help me in locating the code where the beacon is implemented.
>
> Where are these patches hiding?
>
> I've just been sent a couple of unex cards to implement 802.11p on FreeBSD.
> So I'd like to see what the current state of the art with ath5k is.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Adrian

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/80154

* Re: [ath5k][802.11p] Deactivate beacon
@ 2013-04-03 20:56 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-04-03 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Tubío; +Cc: linux-wireless

@ 2013-04-03 18:21 ` Jonathan Bither
From: Jonathan Bither @ 2013-04-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Tubío; +Cc: linux-wireless

Ricardo,
	I have not looked at the GCDC patches yet, but it would probably be
best to implement another nl80211_iftype as "NL80211_IFTYPE_WAVE" for
example.

@ 2013-04-03  7:30 Ricardo Tubío