* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-09-20  8:48 Birger Brunswiek
From: Birger Brunswiek @ 2014-09-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi List,
I want to use OpenWRT on my Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus. So far all works
but the Wifi. The symptoms are poor reception and normal transmission
levels. The problems do not appear using the stock firmware. They only
appear after a power cycle when using OpenWRT. OpenWRT works as expected
if no power cycle was performed after installation. It was suggested
that this is due to the RF filter built into the unit
(https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-September/028103.html).
Does anyone have some pointers so I can fix this? Perhaps somehow
outputting the content of the registers before doing the power cycle?

Cheers,
Birger

* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-10-16 17:03 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2014-10-16 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

It may be something as simple as GPIO pin settings.

Would you mind taking a look at both the atheros SoC GPIO register
contents and the on-board CPU GPIO register contents?

Thanks,

-a

@ 2014-10-17  7:29   ` Shvedov Yury
From: Shvedov Yury @ 2014-10-17  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I'm interested in this question too, but not familiar with GPIO
subsystem. Can you tell me how to look at the atheros SoC GPIO register
contents and the on-board CPU GPIO register contents please?
Thank you.

On 10/16/2014 09:03 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It may be something as simple as GPIO pin settings.
>
> Would you mind taking a look at both the atheros SoC GPIO register
> contents and the on-board CPU GPIO register contents?
>
> Thanks,
>

> -a
>

> On 20 September 2014 01:48, Birger Brunswiek <birger@brunswiek.org> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>> I want to use OpenWRT on my Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus. So far all works
>> but the Wifi. The symptoms are poor reception and normal transmission
>> levels. The problems do not appear using the stock firmware. They only
>> appear after a power cycle when using OpenWRT. OpenWRT works as expected
>> if no power cycle was performed after installation. It was suggested
>> that this is due to the RF filter built into the unit
>> (https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-September/028103.html).
>> Does anyone have some pointers so I can fix this? Perhaps somehow
>> outputting the content of the registers before doing the power cycle?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Birger

Kind regards
Yury Shvedov

* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-10-17  7:44     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2014-10-17  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I'd just add some printf()'s in the openwrt board support .c source
file. But I'm not normally a Linux developer; I'm normally a FreeBSD
developer. :)

-a
(oops, I should say printk(). See? Not normally a Linux developer. :)

On 17 October 2014 00:29, Shvedov Yury <yshvedov@arccn.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in this question too, but not familiar with GPIO subsystem.
> Can you tell me how to look at the atheros SoC GPIO register contents and
> the on-board CPU GPIO register contents please?
> Thank you.
>

> On 10/16/2014 09:03 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It may be something as simple as GPIO pin settings.
>>
>> Would you mind taking a look at both the atheros SoC GPIO register
>> contents and the on-board CPU GPIO register contents?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> -a
>>

>> On 20 September 2014 01:48, Birger Brunswiek <birger@brunswiek.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi List,
>>> I want to use OpenWRT on my Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus. So far all works
>>> but the Wifi. The symptoms are poor reception and normal transmission
>>> levels. The problems do not appear using the stock firmware. They only
>>> appear after a power cycle when using OpenWRT. OpenWRT works as expected
>>> if no power cycle was performed after installation. It was suggested
>>> that this is due to the RF filter built into the unit
>>>
>>> (https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-September/028103.html).
>>> Does anyone have some pointers so I can fix this? Perhaps somehow
>>> outputting the content of the registers before doing the power cycle?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Birger

@ 2014-10-17 11:59       ` Shvedov Yury
From: Shvedov Yury @ 2014-10-17 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hm...

sounds good, but not very useful :)
Do you know exactly or approximately what source I need to modify?

--
Kind regards
Yury Shvedov

* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-10-17 20:48         ` Sergey Ryazanov
From: Sergey Ryazanov @ 2014-10-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Yury,

> Hm...
>
> sounds good, but not very useful :)
> Do you know exactly or approximately what source I need to modify?

If you want to know exactly how to control RF filter then try to ask
ubnt guys :)

You can check and even manipulate GPIO lines from userspace without
kernel source modification.

To control SoC own GPIO just export required line by issuing:
# echo X > /sys/class/gpio/export
and then you can control line state (direction and level) via files in
/sys/class/gpio/gpioX/

Wireless chip GPIO lines control a bit different. You can manipulate
by any of chip registers via regidx and regval files located in
/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phyX/ath9k/. Just write register address
to regidx and you can get and set register content by performing read
and write operations with regval.
# echo 0x1234abcd > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phyX/ath9k/regidx
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phyX/ath9k/regval

--
BR,
Sergey

* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-10-21  9:18           ` Shvedov Yury
From: Shvedov Yury @ 2014-10-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Sergey, thank you.

Its now becoming much  more clear. But I still don't know how to learn
which exactly gpio  port and register I have to look at. Maybe Adrian
know that?

--
Kind regards
Yury Shvedov

* [ath9k-devel] Support for Ubnt UniFi Outdoor Plus
@ 2014-10-21 11:01             ` Sergey Ryazanov
From: Sergey Ryazanov @ 2014-10-21 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

> Sergey, thank you.
>
> Its now becoming much  more clear. But I still don't know how to learn which
> exactly gpio  port and register I have to look at. Maybe Adrian know that?

Do you try to read the sources, especially the headers files?

And BTW do you try to tune to different channels? Rx don't work at
each of them? I still cannot understand how this external filter
determines tuning frequency.

--
BR,
Sergey