* [dm-crypt] Automatically mount LUKS LVM on boot?
@ 2016-01-16 22:33 Dáire Fagan
From: Dáire Fagan @ 2016-01-16 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I have tried following different guides on this but none seem to do exactly
what I am trying so I had to work with different parts from different
guides.

Using the following I made it so Ubuntu would not boot, although I was able
to remedy this by booting into Ubutnu recovery, dropping to a root shell,
and putting fstab back as it was: HOWTO: Automatically unlock LUKS
encrypted drives with a keyfile
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=837416>

When I started I had just set up LUKS with LVM. I was able to mount the
main volume hdd1 by clicking on it from the launcher in Ubuntu and entering
my password, but I need to set it up to mount on boot.

Even after the change I made in fstab - undoing what the guide recommended
- now when I boot a volume is mounted of 973GB although I cannot write to
it. Apart from that I am not sure if it is otherwise working as it should,
or if say for instance it is left decrypted all of the time.

Can you please look through the commands from my bash history and tell me
anything I need to undo, the correct commands to do this, and any extra
commands I need to enter to achieve what I am after, physical volume sda1
decrypted on boot, and the logical volumes swap and hdd1 automatically
mounted, one password input on boot preferred, so I do not have to enter
one to login and another to decrypt. This is all on a completely separate
drive to my / and /home partitions.

If relevant one of the commands used during LUKS and LVM setup was:

pvcreate /dev/mapper enc-pv

I mention that now as it is referenced in another command.

The logical volumes:

[CODE]dusf@roadrunner:~$ sudo lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/vg/swap
  LV Name                swap
  VG Name                vg
  LV UUID                HBEt92-E8MQ-aCAu-DBDz-7VeJ-KLom-JeJ9k8
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time roadrunner, 2016-01-16 20:36:42 +0000
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                10.00 GiB
  Current LE             2560
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           252:1

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/vg/kali
  LV Name                kali
  VG Name                vg
  LV UUID                BeWqMO-DQAf-zcAp-RJAf-vmaY-OZbt-GLQIWx
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time roadrunner, 2016-01-16 20:40:39 +0000
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                15.00 GiB
  Current LE             3840
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           252:2

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/vg/HDD1
  LV Name                HDD1
  VG Name                vg
  LV UUID                xFw2Yu-li8I-Ooav-Yjk2-P38q-CZeG-dmdhSl
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time roadrunner, 2016-01-16 20:51:00 +0000
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                906.51 GiB
  Current LE             232066
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           252:3

Commands I entered to try and automount:

156  sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/root/keyfile bs=1024 count=4
  157  sudo chmod 0400 /root/keyfile
  160  sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda1 /root/keyfile
  161  sudo vi /etc/crypttab

I added the line: enc-pv      /dev/sda1  /root/keyfile  luks

  162  sudo vi /etc/fstab
I added the line: /dev/mapper/enc-pv  /media/sda1     ext4    defaults
   0       2

 163  sudo mount -a
  164  mkdir /media/sda1
  165  sudo mkdir /media/sda1
  166  sudo mount -a

* Re: [dm-crypt] Automatically mount LUKS LVM on boot?
@ 2016-01-17 18:30 ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2016-01-17 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi Dáire,

While this is not really dm-crypt/cryptsetup related, but rather a
question of the used distro and desktopenvironment (etc.), I'll try to
give you some hints on this:

As long as the volume is listed in crypttab and the key is provided the
crypto-mapping will be setup during boot. If you don't want that, you'd
have to revert those changes. (Automatic setup of crypto mapping with a
locally stored key is somewhat pointless, as you can imagine).

It is not that easy by just looking at the commands you ran, to judge
what is going on right now. You'll certainly have to provide additional
info, but I am sure the Ubuntu community would be a greater help, as it
knows the intrinsics of the distro.

One thing I want to add though is this:
You will NOT be able to do a single password entry for both decryption
and login. You could possibly disable passwords for login (if that makes
sense to you). You could skip the password for decryption, if the
'passphrase/key' is stored on an external drive (usb thumg drive) and
you physically secure it and instead use a sign on password. And if you
really insist on a signle sign on, you'd have to have a some sort of
password cache daemon that provides the password at a later stage, but
then again this makes password based logins pointless.

So, first choose your modus operandi, then try setting it up.

Regards

-Sven

@ 2016-01-21 12:50   ` Arbiel (gmx)
From: Arbiel (gmx) @ 2016-01-21 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)