* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-25 13:44 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: alsa-devel

 Takashi Sakamoto  wrote:

> I do not understand techinical details, but the sound was
> > perfect even with 192kHz/24bit audio using libffado.
>
> Ditto. libffado works with such broken stream by ignoring its packet
> index. I guess that you've continued to use your device with
> uns-ynchronized state for several years because no one reports it.

Well, one reason I believed I was doing fine with my Orpheus
is one of the experiments I did in November 2010.

I copied a 44.1kHz/16bit sound file into a USB memory,
and played it on PS3.

The optical output (SPDIF) of PS3 is fed into the optical input of Orpheus,
and the data is captured using ffado and jackd.

Two files, the original and the captured, are compared and showed
perfect match.

https://spinorlab.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/orpheus-and-bit-perfect/
(see https://spinorlab.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/orpheusbitperfect.jpg)

I know I should have compared by not only capturing by Orpheus
but playing by Orpheus, but I saved my effort assuming the reverse
way should also be OK.

(Actually, I did not expect any negative results. Was I too optimistic?)

***

Therefore, I still can not believe I am experiencing packet losses
(without noticing).

I mean not with juju+libffado+jackd. I really don't know what
is happening with snd-bebob.

***

> So if it's only a
> > #define TIMER_SOMETHING value_anything
> > type of things...
>
> I cannot understand what you mean.

Never mind. I am not a very technical person anyway.

I just thought if it is due to a VERY STRICT timeout checking
policy, relaxing the value of timeout might help.

> Unless fully understanding specifications about your device, you cannot
> make firm statement about it, I think. The drivers installed in Windows
> or OS X can set the synchronization when plugging-in.

You are correct! (See the item 8 below.)

I did some experiment today, although I am not sure if it has
any technical meaning.

---------------
My PC runnging on Windows 7
---------------
1. Run Control Panel, and set Sync Source to PC DAW.
2. Play music with Audacity -> O.K. -> Stop music.
3. Kill Control panel.
4. Set Orpheus to Stand-by Mode
5. Remove Firewire Cable
6. Recover from Stand-by Mode
7. Connect Firewire Cable
8. Run Control Panel, and Sync Source now reads Local,

/*** this is not what I expected, but it is so. ***/

  so set Sync Source to PC DAW again.
9. Play music with Audacity -> O.K. -> Keep playing
10. Kill Control Panel. -> Music still playing O.K. -> Stop Music
11. Set Orpheus to Stand-by Mode
12. Remove Firewire Cable

---------------
Reboot My PC to start Linux
---------------
13. Recover from Stand-by Mode
14. Connect Firewire Cable
15. Enter the following CLIs.

% dmesg
[   21.838971] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   24.281647] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[  281.110728] irq_handler: 36 callbacks suppressed
[  281.110737] firewire_ohci 0000:08:00.0: isochronous cycle inconsistent
[  281.612586] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID
00119800010001f9, S400
[  281.612747] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5

% ls -l /proc/asound
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 25 21:55 Orpheus -> card3

 % cat /proc/asound/card3/firewire/clock
Sampling rate: 44100
Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)

% aplay -D plughw:3,0 test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1297: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (46439 46440)
PERIOD_SIZE: 2048
PERIOD_BYTES: 8192
PERIODS: 4
BUFFER_TIME: (185759 185760)
BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
TICK_TIME: 0

% dmesg
[   21.838971] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   24.281647] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[  281.110728] irq_handler: 36 callbacks suppressed
[  281.110737] firewire_ohci 0000:08:00.0: isochronous cycle inconsistent
[  281.612586] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID
00119800010001f9, S400
[  281.612747] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5

***

Regards,
Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-05-24 11:40 ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2015-05-24 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

Hi Mike,

Recently, I found some devices which have similar issue as your Orpheus
has and I wrote an patch for it. If possible, would you please test this
branch with your model?

https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve/commits/bebob3

About the way to test this repository, please refer to README file.
Then, you need to switch your branch to bebob3, like.
(in your local repository)
$ git checkout bebob3

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-05-07 13:53 ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2015-05-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

Hi,

Sorry to be late but I have a short vacation.

On 2015年04月27日 17:34, Mike Ood wrote:
> The results are:
>
> -------------------
> Local        OK
> Wordclock NG
> DI             NG
> PC DAW    OK
> CSP          OK
> -------------------
>
> So it seems that if there is no external clock applied,
> when one is expected, Orpheus stops playing rather than
> trying to continue operation by free-running its clock.

In this case, the Windows driver may disturb streaming when detecting
de-synchronization.

>> BridgeCo AG (currently ArchWave AG) produced DM1000/DM1100/DM1500
>> chipset with BeBoB firmware. PrismSound Ltd. utilized the chipset and
>> firmware for streaming functionality of your Orpheus.
>
>> BeBoB firmware gives common ways to control itself, while the hadware
>> vendor added their own cusomization against it. I don't know exactly the
>> reason because there're few information about your device.
>
> I do not think I understand what you said here due to the lack of technical
> background, but what do you suggest at this moment to a casual applications
> programmer who wish to use snd-bebob with Orpheus?

Such programmer can help driver developers.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-27  8:34 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-27  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Yet another experiment.

Orpheus operation manual says there are six modes
concerning Sync Source.

--------------------------------------
Sync         Source Master/Slave    Description
--------------------------------------
Local        Master    System is sync'ed to Orpheus' local clock
Wordclock Master    System is sync'ed to external wordclock applied to
Orpheus
DI             Master    System is sync'ed to external S/PDIF applied to
Orpheus
ADAT        Master    System is sync'ed to external ADAT (ADAT input must
be enabled)
PC DAW    Slave      Orpheus is slaved to system clock from host PC
CSP          Master    System is sync'ed to Orpheus' 1394 clock (not
recommended)
--------------------------------------

With each of the five modes mentioned above (ADAT input not available),
I tried to play music on Windows 7 using Audacity.

The results are:

-------------------
Local        OK
Wordclock NG
DI             NG
PC DAW    OK
CSP          OK
-------------------

Takashi Sakamoto wrote:

> Not funny, but headache. It's a customization by hardware vendor, I
> mentioned. (in this case, by PrismSound Ltd.)

> BridgeCo AG (currently ArchWave AG) produced DM1000/DM1100/DM1500
> chipset with BeBoB firmware. PrismSound Ltd. utilized the chipset and
> firmware for streaming functionality of your Orpheus.

> BeBoB firmware gives common ways to control itself, while the hadware
> vendor added their own cusomization against it. I don't know exactly the
> reason because there're few information about your device.

I do not think I understand what you said here due to the lack of technical
background, but what do you suggest at this moment to a casual applications
programmer who wish to use snd-bebob with Orpheus?

------------
Answer 1
------------
It should work. I received many successful reports for my final call for
testing last year.

It must be a hardware problem with your PC, or Firewire Cable, or Orpheus,
or all of them.

------------
Answer 2
------------
It should work. Check your software environment.
Freshly installed Ubuntu 14.10 or later with the kernel
3.16 or later may not work.

Always download the latest sources from GitHub, etc.

------------
Answer 3
------------
Forget about snd-bebob, and fallback to libffado+jackd.

The combination is loosing many packets, but if you say you do not
notice any glitches, you should be completely happy with it.

***

Regards,
Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-25 12:01 ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2015-04-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

On Apr 24 2015 21:27, Mike Ood wrote:
> Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>
>>> % cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/clock
>>> Sampling rate: 44100
>>> Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)
>>
>> According to this output, the internal clock of your device is set to
>> synchronize to external source such as S/PDIF or word clock.
>
> Oops. Let me boot my Windows7 again, and see..
> https://spinorlab.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/orpheus-and-its-sync-source/
> (see orpheussyncsource.jpg)
>
> The control program by PrismSound tells that the Sync Source is Local,
> which means it is a Master and System is sync'ed to Orpheus's
> local clock.
>
> http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/orpheus/online_manual/index.html
> (Contents -> Orpheus hardware -> Synchronization)
> (Contents -> Orpheus software -> Orpheus Control Panel)
>
> Funny?

Not funny, but headache. It's a customization by hardware vendor, I
mentioned. (in this case, by PrismSound Ltd.)

BridgeCo AG (currently ArchWave AG) produced DM1000/DM1100/DM1500
chipset with BeBoB firmware. PrismSound Ltd. utilized the chipset and
firmware for streaming functionality of your Orpheus.

BeBoB firmware gives common ways to control itself, while the hadware
vendor added their own cusomization against it. I don't know exactly the
reason because there're few information about your device.

> I am not sure, but I think I gave it correctly to Local Sync Source.

Actually, it's not synchronized in an aspect of streaming protocol
because DMxxx chipset and BeBoB can transfer continuous packets in its
streaming.

@ 2015-04-25 11:53 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-25 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Mike Ood wrote:

> As for me, clock source settings, etc.,
> which is written into its EEPROM when powered off,
> can be occasionally set via the control program
> by PrismSound either on Windows/OS X,
> only when it becomes necessary.

I think I was at least partially wrong.

The manual says:
http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/orpheus/online_manual/index.html
 (Contents -> Orpheus hardware -> Stand-alone operation):

---------------------------------
 Stand-alone operation
 ---------------------------------

It is possible to operate Orpheus without a FireWire connection to a host
computer.
This is done by setting up the unit as required using the Orpheus Control
Panel applet
whilst it is connected to a host computer via its FireWire interface,
then placing the unit in standby by pressing the standby button,
before disconnecting the unit from the host and power source.

When the unit is re-powered,
and detects that no FireWire connection is active,  <========== I missed
this part!
it reloads the settings which were previously stored.

As Takashi Sakamoto mentioned:

> Currently, libffado has a bug to fail to switch clock
> source for usual BeBoB driver.
> So we have no way to set the source of clock correctly.
> I've tried to fix it but get stuck deeply into
> ffado's fault and given up.

this could be a problem for me, too.

Anyway, the functionality I expect snd-bebob to have is
no more than what is offered by juju+libffado+jack.

Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-24 12:27 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-24 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Takashi Sakamoto wrote:

> > % cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/clock
> > Sampling rate: 44100
> > Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)
>
> According to this output, the internal clock of your device is set to
> synchronize to external source such as S/PDIF or word clock.

Oops. Let me boot my Windows7 again, and see..
https://spinorlab.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/orpheus-and-its-sync-source/
(see orpheussyncsource.jpg)

The control program by PrismSound tells that the Sync Source is Local,
which means it is a Master and System is sync'ed to Orpheus's
local clock.

http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/orpheus/online_manual/index.html
(Contents -> Orpheus hardware -> Synchronization)
(Contents -> Orpheus software -> Orpheus Control Panel)

Funny?

Now reboot again, and going back to Linux.

------------------
% dmesg <- Orpheus was powered on already.
------------------

[   20.927594] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   23.299665] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[   27.676032] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   29.974533] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   32.282923] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   34.961027] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   37.259624] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   47.732497] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   50.030918] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   52.339515] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   55.037594] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   57.316079] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08

------------------
% ls -l /proc/asound
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 24 20:24 Orpheus -> card0

------------------
% cat /proc/asound/card0/firewire/clock
Sampling rate: 44100
Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)  <- as Takashi pointed out!

------------------
% aplay -D plughw:0,0 test.wav <- same happens as is expected
------------------

Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1297: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (46439 46440)
PERIOD_SIZE: 2048
PERIOD_BYTES: 8192
PERIODS: 4
BUFFER_TIME: (185759 185760)
BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
TICK_TIME: 0

------------------
% dmesg <- the last line is added.
------------------

[   20.927594] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   23.299665] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[   27.676032] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   29.974533] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   32.282923] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   34.961027] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   37.259624] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   47.732497] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   50.030918] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   52.339515] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   55.037594] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[   57.316079] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[ 1483.932836] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08

***

> If your device is implemented with no customization of the
> setting and you didn't give any external sources to your
> device, the device is not synchronized.
> (If you give it correctly, please inform it to us.)

I am not sure, but I think I gave it correctly to Local Sync Source.

> libffado also supports this device and I guess you can
> start streaming with jackd and firewire backend

Yes, as I have mentioned, I have been always successful
with alsa (vanilla without snd-*) + libffado + jackd.

> because libffado implements loose
> checker of packet discontinuity.

I do not understand techinical details, but the sound was
perfect even with 192kHz/24bit audio using libffado.

So if it's only a
#define TIMER_SOMETHING value_anything
type of things...

> Currently, libffado has a bug to fail to switch clock
> source for usual BeBoB driver.
> So we have no way to set the source of clock correctly.
> I've tried to fix it but get stuck deeply into
> ffado's fault and given up.

As for me, clock source settings, etc.,
which is written into its EEPROM when powered off,
can be occasionally set via the control program
by PrismSound either on Windows/OS X,
only when it becomes necessary.

So personally I really do not matter, if I understand
the situation correctly.

> For our information:
> http://subversion.ffado.org/wiki/AvcModels/PrismSoundOrpheus

I hope some day this level of information becomes usefull
for me.

Regards,
Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-24 10:58 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-24 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Clemens wrote:
> Does this device (with this cable) work in Windows or OS X?

Definitely.

Let me now reset my PC so that it will boot from its Windows7 partion.

With Audacity and a vendor supplied control software, my Orpheus
plays 44.1kHz 2-ch sound perfectly.

Also,

juju+ffado+jackd as:

for more than five years, not with the same PC but with the same cable,
during which time I have never experienced a trouble.

And before doing clean install of Ubuntu 15.04 (kernel 3.16) a few days ago,
I confirmed that:

% jackd -R -dfirewire -r44100 -p4096 -n3 &
% aplay -D pcm.jack test.wav
or
% alsaplayer -i text -o jack -d "system:playback_1,system:playback_2"
test.wav

works all right on Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.13.

So I have an impression that this is not a hardware but a software problem,
perhaps specific to snd-bebob..

***

> At the moment, a missing packet results in the driver just stopping the
> stream.  There would be better ways to handle this, but I haven't yet
> found the time to implement this.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you again for taking your time.

Regards,
Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-24 10:13   ` Takashi Sakamoto
From: Takashi Sakamoto @ 2015-04-24 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch, Mike Ood, alsa-devel

Hi,

On Apr 23 2015 21:13, Mike Ood wrote:
> % cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/clock
> Sampling rate: 44100
> Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)

According to this output, the internal clock of your device is set to
synchronize to external source such as S/PDIF or word clock.

If your device is implemented with no customization of the setting and
you didn't give any external sources to your device, the device is not
synchronized.
(If you give it correctly, please inform it to us.)

I think this is a cause of this issue.
 * Your device lost synchronization.
 * Transfers streaming packets with discontinuity.
 * Then snd-bebob driver (in fact snd-firewire-lib) cannot continue.

On Apr 24 2015 17:29, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> this is just after % aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav
>> [  110.580310] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID 00119800010001f9, S400
>> [  113.660273] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
>> [  128.010593] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
>> [  133.416998] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
>> [  136.275142] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 50 70
>> [  137.654178] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 70 90
>
> This means that some packet to be received from the device is (or
> appears to be) missing.  In theory, this is supposed to happen only when
> noise on the cable has corrupted the signal, but this might be a problem
> with this device's firmware.
>
> Does this device (with this cable) work in Windows or OS X?

libffado also supports this device and I guess you can start streaming
with jackd and firewire backend because libffado implements loose

@ 2015-04-24  8:29 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2015-04-24  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Sakamoto

Mike Ood wrote:
> Clemens wrote:
>> Any error message in the system log?
>
> this is just after % aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav
> [  110.580310] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID 00119800010001f9, S400
> [  113.660273] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
> [  128.010593] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
> [  133.416998] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
> [  136.275142] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 50 70
> [  137.654178] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 70 90

This means that some packet to be received from the device is (or
appears to be) missing.  In theory, this is supposed to happen only when
noise on the cable has corrupted the signal, but this might be a problem
with this device's firmware.

Does this device (with this cable) work in Windows or OS X?

At the moment, a missing packet results in the driver just stopping the
stream.  There would be better ways to handle this, but I haven't yet
found the time to implement this.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-24  7:30 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-24  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I am now trying with my capture program, "myprog.cpp" instead of "aplay.c".

-------------------------------
% alsacap ; alscap -R
-------------------------------
Card 2, ID `Orpheus', name `Orpheus'
  Device 0, ID `BeBoB', name `Orpheus PCM', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    12 channels, sampling rate 44100..44100 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S32_LE
      Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

Card 2, ID `Orpheus', name `Orpheus'
  Device 0, ID `BeBoB', name `Orpheus PCM', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    10 channels, sampling rate 44100..44100 Hz
    Sample formats: S32_LE
      Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

-------------------------------
% myprog hw:2,0 44100 10
-------------------------------
Sound::Sound: sound_device = hw:2,0, rate = 44100, channels = 10
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: begin...
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: buffer_time = 92879, dir   = 1
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: buffer_size = 4096
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: period_time = 46439 , dir   = 1
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: period_size = 2048, dir = 0
Sound::asound_set_hwparams: Unable to set hw params: Connection timed out
Sound::Sound: setting of hwparams failed. Connection timed out

-------------------------------
Sound::asound_set_hwparams(snd_pcm_t *, snd_pcm_hw_params_t *)
-------------------------------
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_any(handle, params);
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_resample(handle, params, resample);
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(handle, params,

err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format(handle, params, SND_PCM_FORMAT_S32_LE);
//if Orphesu
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format(handle, params, SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16);
 //else

err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(handle, params, channels);
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near(handle, params, &rrate, 0);
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_buffer_time_near(handle, params, &buffer_time,
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_get_buffer_size(params, &size);
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_time_near(handle, params, &period_time,
err = snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size(params, &size, &dir);

err = snd_pcm_hw_params(handle, params);
if (err < 0) {
cout << "Sound::asound_set_hwparams: Unable to set hw params: "
     << snd_strerror(err) << endl;
return err;
}

-------------------------------
No messages were found in % demsg and % cat /var/log/syslog
concerning the above run of % myprog.

So is it (partly) due to "Connection timed out"?

Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-24  0:20 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-24  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Clemens wrote:
>> You should replace "hw" with "plughw" in the device name.

So you were referring to:

% aplay -L
plughw:CARD=Orpheus,DEV=0
    Orpheus, Orpheus PCM
    Hardware device with all software conversions

> Any error message in the system log?

% tail dmesg?.txt

==> dmesg1.txt <== this is just after booting.

[   21.439026] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   23.809013] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up

==> dmesg2.txt <== this is just after connecting Orpheus.

[   21.439026] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   23.809013] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[  110.079264] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5
[  110.343319] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5
[  110.580310] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID
00119800010001f9, S400
[  113.660273] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08

==> dmesg3.txt <== this is just after % aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav

[   21.439026] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link down
[   23.809013] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[  110.079264] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5
[  110.343319] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy config: new root=ffc1,
gap_count=5
[  110.580310] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: created device fw1: GUID
00119800010001f9, S400
[  113.660273] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[  128.010593] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[  133.416998] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
[  136.275142] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 50 70
[  137.654178] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect discontinuity of CIP: 70 90

% ls -l dmesg?.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 user1 72728 Apr 24 08:42 dmesg1.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 user1 73050 Apr 24 08:42 dmesg2.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 user1 73318 Apr 24 08:43 dmesg3.txt

% egrep 'Apr 24 08:42|Apr 24 08:43' /var/log/syslog

Apr 24 08:42:24 host gnome-session[1466]: WARN  2015-04-24 08:42:24
unity.dash.gsettingsscopereader GSettingsScopes.cpp:108 Error fetching
protocol metadata for scope: social.scope : Valid key file could not be
found in search dirs
Apr 24 08:42:44 host kernel: [  110.079264] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy
config: new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
Apr 24 08:42:45 host kernel: [  110.343319] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0: phy
config: new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
Apr 24 08:42:45 host kernel: [  110.580310] firewire_core 0000:08:00.0:
created device fw1: GUID 00119800010001f9, S400
Apr 24 08:42:48 host kernel: [  113.660273] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect
discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
Apr 24 08:43:02 host kernel: [  128.010593] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect
discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
Apr 24 08:43:08 host kernel: [  133.416998] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect
discontinuity of CIP: 00 08
Apr 24 08:43:11 host rtkit-daemon[1163]: Supervising 4 threads of 1
processes of 1 users.
Apr 24 08:43:11 host rtkit-daemon[1163]: Successfully made thread 1900 of
process 1540 (n/a) owned by '1000' RT at priority 5.
Apr 24 08:43:11 host rtkit-daemon[1163]: Supervising 5 threads of 1
processes of 1 users.
Apr 24 08:43:11 host kernel: [  136.275142] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect
discontinuity of CIP: 50 70
Apr 24 08:43:12 host kernel: [  137.654178] snd-bebob fw1.0: Detect
discontinuity of CIP: 70 90
Apr 24 08:43:14 host pulseaudio[1540]: [alsa-source-BeBoB] alsa-util.c:
Could not recover from POLLERR|POLLNVAL|POLLHUP and XRUN: Connection timed
out
Apr 24 08:43:17 host systemd[1]: Stopping User Manager for UID 112...

***

Any clues?

Mike Ood
--
% uname -a
Linux host 3.19.0-15-generic #15-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 16 23:32:37 UTC 2015

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-23 14:39 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2015-04-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

@ 2015-04-23 13:06 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-23 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Clemens wrote:

> You should not write an .asoundrc.
> You should replace "hw" with "plughw" in the device name.

Somewhat different messages, but still aborts immediately.
(There is a relay click sound from Orpheus, as it always does before
playing music,
so it is getting slightly better..)

% ls -l .asound*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 user1 65 Apr 23 21:48 .asoundrc-nogo

% grep asound /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
"/etc/asound.conf"
"~/.asoundrc"

% sudo ls -l /etc/asound.conf
ls: cannot access /etc/asound.conf: No such file or directory

% aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav
[...]

% aplay -D default:2,0 test.wav
ALSA lib conf.c:4705:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 2,0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:2,0
aplay: main:722: audio open error: Invalid argument

% aplay -D default:2 test.wav

@ 2015-04-23 12:48 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2015-04-23 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

@ 2015-04-23 12:45 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-23 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Clemens wrote:

> You are trying to play a two-channel file ...
> ... on a device that supports only ten channels.

This is what I was vaguely afraid of...

> An with "hw", you have disabled any automatic format conversion.
> Try "plughw:2" or "default:2".

Could you be kind enough to suggest how I should write .asoundrc?

I only know the obvious one for jack:

.asoundrc
----------------
pcm.jackplug {
type plug
slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
type jack
playback_ports {
0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
}
capture_ports {
0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
}
}
----------------

Regards,
Mike Ood

* Re: snd-bebob and PrismSound Orpheus fails with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels
@ 2015-04-23 12:22 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2015-04-23 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ood, alsa-devel

@ 2015-04-23 12:13 Mike Ood
From: Mike Ood @ 2015-04-23 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi All,

I have been using my PrismSound Orpheus successfully with juju+ffado+jackd
as:

% jackd -R -dfirewire -r44100 -p4096 -n3 &

% aplay -D pcm.jack test.wav
or
% alsaplayer -i text -o jack -d "system:playback_1,system:playback_2"
test.wav

on Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.13 or so.

***

Today I clean installed ubuntu 14.10 wishing to use snd-bebob, but
unfortunately

% sudo aplay -D hw:2,0 --channels=2 test.wav

does not work with the following messages:

Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1239: Channels count non available

aplay.c:
1237   err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(handle, params,
hwparams.channels);
1238   if (err < 0) {
1239     error(_("Channels count non available"));
1240     prg_exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
1241   }

My short capture program, which works fine with USB audio devices,
does not work either at the same place.

myprog.cpp:
    /* set the count of channels */
    err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(handle, params, channels);
    if (err < 0) {
        cout << "Sound::asound_set_hwparams: Channels count " << channels
            << " is not available for playbacks." << snd_strerror(err)
            << endl;
        return err;
    }

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Mike ODD

*** (for your information) ***

% uname -a
Linux host 3.16.0-34-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 10 18:02:58 UTC 2015
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

% ls -l /dev/fw*
crw-------  1 root root  250, 0 Apr 23 13:57 /dev/fw0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 250, 1 Apr 23 13:57 /dev/fw1

% lsmod | grep snd_bebob
snd_bebob              40777  0
snd_firewire_lib       29081  1 snd_bebob
snd_hwdep              17698  3 snd_usb_audio,snd_bebob,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               104102  8
snd_firewire_lib,snd_usb_audio,snd_bebob,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_rawmidi            30876  4
snd_firewire_lib,snd_bebob,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd                    87611  31
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_usb_audio,snd_bebob,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
firewire_core          68671  3 snd_firewire_lib,snd_bebob,firewire_ohci

% ls -l /proc/asound
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 card0
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 card1
dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 card2
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 card3
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 cards
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 23 21:02 CODEC -> card3
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 devices
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 23 21:02 HDMI -> card1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 hwdep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 23 21:02 MID -> card0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 modules
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 23 21:02 Orpheus -> card2
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 version

% ls -l /proc/asound/card2
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 firewire
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 id
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 midi0
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 pcm0c
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Apr 23 21:02 pcm0p

% cat /proc/asound/card2/id
Orpheus

% ls -l /proc/asound/card2/firewire
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:03 clock
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:03 firmware
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:03 formation

% cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/clock
Sampling rate: 44100
Clock Source: External (MSU-dest: 7)

% cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/firmware
Manufacturer: bridgeCo
Protocol Ver: 3
Build Ver: 0
GUID: 0x00119800010001F9
Model ID: 0x13
Model Rev: 0
Firmware Date: 20100205
Firmware Time: 105129
Firmware ID: 0x10048
Firmware Ver: 6572
Base Addr: 0x400C0080
Max Size: 1519984
Loader Date: 20070118
Loader Time: 101440

% cat /proc/asound/card2/firewire/formation
Output Stream from device:
Rate PCM MIDI
32000 0 0
44100 10 1
48000 10 1
88200 10 1
96000 10 1
176400 10 1
192000 10 1
Input Stream to device:
Rate PCM MIDI
32000 0 0
44100 12 1
48000 12 1
88200 12 1
96000 12 1
176400 12 1
192000 12 1

% ls -l /proc/asound/card2/pcm0c
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:05 info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 23 21:05 sub0

% ls -l /proc/asound/card2/pcm0p
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 23 21:06 info
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 23 21:06 sub0

% cat /proc/asound/card2/pcm0c/info
card: 2
device: 0
subdevice: 0