* [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-14 10:40 Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-08-14 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

Web Hob will provide information about build configuration, including a
table of variable / value pairs. We would like to provide a short
description of those variables, and the easiest way to do that is adding
such descriptions to documentation.conf.

Currently, documentation.conf is loosely structured in thematic sections
(things like "conf/bitbake.conf", "dependencies", "packaging", etc). My
question is, can I get rid of those sections and just organise the
document alphabetically?

Thanks,

Belén

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-16 10:24 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-08-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 10:40 +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> Web Hob will provide information about build configuration, including a
> table of variable / value pairs. We would like to provide a short
> description of those variables, and the easiest way to do that is adding
> such descriptions to documentation.conf.
>
> Currently, documentation.conf is loosely structured in thematic sections
> (things like "conf/bitbake.conf", "dependencies", "packaging", etc). My
> question is, can I get rid of those sections and just organise the
> document alphabetically?

I'm fully in favour of updating this file. If the current ordering
doesn't make sense, that can change.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-21 15:51   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-08-21 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

The information I added to documentation.conf is now showing up in Web Hob
(thanks, Alex!).

Looking at it, it seems that the description is not picked up for
variables with a suffix (things like PREFERRED_PROVIDER_xyz). Could that
be fixed? Do you want an issue in Bugzilla for this?

Belen

@ 2013-08-22 15:02     ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2013-08-22 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

not sure how this should be handled, Paul thinks it should be in there ?

AFAIK, suffixed variables get used instead of the normal ones, so they are
more like replacements.
I guess the design ask that we should the only the variables with doc
attached, so they would be hidden.

Isn't this the case ?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Barros Pena, Belen <
belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:

> The information I added to documentation.conf is now showing up in Web Hob
> (thanks, Alex!).
>
> Looking at it, it seems that the description is not picked up for
> variables with a suffix (things like PREFERRED_PROVIDER_xyz). Could that
> be fixed? Do you want an issue in Bugzilla for this?
>
> Belen
>

> On 16/08/2013 11:24, "Richard Purdie" <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 10:40 +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> >> Web Hob will provide information about build configuration, including a
> >> table of variable / value pairs. We would like to provide a short
> >> description of those variables, and the easiest way to do that is adding
> >> such descriptions to documentation.conf.
> >>
> >> Currently, documentation.conf is loosely structured in thematic sections
> >> (things like "conf/bitbake.conf", "dependencies", "packaging", etc). My
> >> question is, can I get rid of those sections and just organise the
> >> document alphabetically?
> >
> >I'm fully in favour of updating this file. If the current ordering
> >doesn't make sense, that can change.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Richard

> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
> VAT No: 860 2173 47

Alex Damian
Yocto Project
SSG / OTC

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-22 15:26       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-08-22 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian, Alexandru; +Cc: webhob

On Thursday 22 August 2013 16:02:05 Damian, Alexandru wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Barros Pena, Belen <
> belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:
> > The information I added to documentation.conf is now showing up in Web Hob
> > (thanks, Alex!).
> >
> > Looking at it, it seems that the description is not picked up for
> > variables with a suffix (things like PREFERRED_PROVIDER_xyz). Could that
> > be fixed? Do you want an issue in Bugzilla for this?
>
> not sure how this should be handled, Paul thinks it should be in there ?
>
> AFAIK, suffixed variables get used instead of the normal ones, so they are
> more like replacements.
> I guess the design ask that we should the only the variables with doc
> attached, so they would be hidden.
>
> Isn't this the case ?

I think that variables like PREFERRED_PROVIDER are kind of a special case -
their overrides will never be in OVERRIDES except when bitbake is reading from
them. If we want to show them in the variables list then we might have to
handle them specially (or just do something like cut the variable name back to
the last capital letter in order to look up the doc flag).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-22 15:40       ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-08-22 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian, Alexandru; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

On 22/08/2013 16:02, "Damian, Alexandru" <alexandru.damian@intel.com>
wrote:

>not sure how this should be handled, Paul thinks it should be in there ?
>

>AFAIK, suffixed variables get used instead of the normal ones, so they
>are more like replacements.
>
>I guess the design ask that we should the only the variables with doc
>attached,

Well Š no :)

The design actually asked nothing, since it is still very much in the
works. My request to the team was in the lines of: can we provide a short
explanation of the variables we show? When trying to work out how to
actually do this, we were suggested to use documentation.conf to provide
such explanations. This is quite different from saying "show variables
with the [doc] flag".

@ 2013-08-22 17:11         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-08-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 15:40 +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:

> On 22/08/2013 16:02, "Damian, Alexandru" <alexandru.damian@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> >not sure how this should be handled, Paul thinks it should be in there ?
> >

> >AFAIK, suffixed variables get used instead of the normal ones, so they
> >are more like replacements.
> >
> >I guess the design ask that we should the only the variables with doc
> >attached,
>
> Well Š no :)
>
> The design actually asked nothing, since it is still very much in the
> works. My request to the team was in the lines of: can we provide a short
> explanation of the variables we show? When trying to work out how to
> actually do this, we were suggested to use documentation.conf to provide
> such explanations. This is quite different from saying "show variables
> with the [doc] flag".

PREFERRED_PROVIDER is perhaps a special case since it will usually have
a suffix and we're not going to add a [doc] tag for every single one.
Special casing that one in the code may make sense.

Are there any other suffixed variables that are causing similar
problems?

I suspect Paul's proposal of knocking off the lowercase suffixes and
seeing if a [doc] tag exists might be the best/only way to attempt to
handle this.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-22 17:32           ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-08-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

On 22/08/2013 18:11, "Richard Purdie" <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 15:40 +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
>>
>> On 22/08/2013 16:02, "Damian, Alexandru" <alexandru.damian@intel.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >not sure how this should be handled, Paul thinks it should be in there
>>?
>> >

>> >AFAIK, suffixed variables get used instead of the normal ones, so they
>> >are more like replacements.
>> >
>> >I guess the design ask that we should the only the variables with doc
>> >attached,
>>
>> Well Š no :)
>>
>> The design actually asked nothing, since it is still very much in the
>> works. My request to the team was in the lines of: can we provide a
>>short
>> explanation of the variables we show? When trying to work out how to
>> actually do this, we were suggested to use documentation.conf to provide
>> such explanations. This is quite different from saying "show variables
>> with the [doc] flag".
>
>PREFERRED_PROVIDER is perhaps a special case since it will usually have
>a suffix and we're not going to add a [doc] tag for every single one.
>Special casing that one in the code may make sense.
>
>Are there any other suffixed variables that are causing similar
>problems?

Yes, a few: B, SECTION, PREFERRED_VERSION, BASE_LIB, LAYERDEPENDS, etc.
That's why I brought it up.

@ 2013-08-22 20:53             ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2013-08-22 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

Ok, knocking lowercase suffixes, I'll do it.

Architectural call, Richard - should it be done on Webhob, or in Bitbake.
I'd do it in bitbake since the [doc] field may be used to other purposes in
the future

Alex

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Barros Pena, Belen <
belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/2013 18:11, "Richard Purdie" <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 15:40 +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:

> >>?

> >> Well Š no :)
> >>
> >> The design actually asked nothing, since it is still very much in the
> >> works. My request to the team was in the lines of: can we provide a
> >>short
> >> explanation of the variables we show? When trying to work out how to
> >> actually do this, we were suggested to use documentation.conf to provide
> >> such explanations. This is quite different from saying "show variables
> >> with the [doc] flag".
> >
> >PREFERRED_PROVIDER is perhaps a special case since it will usually have
> >a suffix and we're not going to add a [doc] tag for every single one.
> >Special casing that one in the code may make sense.
> >
> >Are there any other suffixed variables that are causing similar
> >problems?
>
> Yes, a few: B, SECTION, PREFERRED_VERSION, BASE_LIB, LAYERDEPENDS, etc.
> That's why I brought it up.
>

> >I suspect Paul's proposal of knocking off the lowercase suffixes and
> >seeing if a [doc] tag exists might be the best/only way to attempt to
> >handle this.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Richard

> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
> VAT No: 860 2173 47

Alex Damian
Yocto Project
SSG / OTC

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-22 22:26               ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-08-22 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian, Alexandru; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 21:53 +0100, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
> Ok, knocking lowercase suffixes, I'll do it.
>

> Architectural call, Richard - should it be done on Webhob, or in
> Bitbake. I'd do it in bitbake since the [doc] field may be used to
> other purposes in the future

The UPPERCASE_lowercase style is an OE convention, bitbake doesn't care.
It can be a utility function in bitbake but it shouldn't be in the
bitbake core if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [Webhob] updating documentation.conf
@ 2013-08-23  8:54                 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-08-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, Damian, Alexandru; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob

On 22/08/2013 23:26, "Richard Purdie" <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 21:53 +0100, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
>> Ok, knocking lowercase suffixes, I'll do it.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing: we should display
the variables with their suffixes, but pick up the variable description
even if there is a suffix.

@ 2013-08-23 14:02                   ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2013-08-23 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, webhob