* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421125622.D577D88A@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-22  9:29 ` Gergely Imreh
From: Gergely Imreh @ 2015-04-22  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 21 April 2015 at 20:56, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [v2,1/1] board: add support for VIA VAB-820/AMOS-820
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/435715/

Hi, still interested in this patch, though since quite a bit of time
has passed since submission, there's a newer kernel/u-boot release for
this hardware. I think the best is to drop this "v2" and if I'll
submit an updated "v3" instead (just testing the build).

Cheers,
  Greg

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421125643.A04F688A@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-05-11 19:09 ` Danomi Manchego
From: Danomi Manchego @ 2015-05-11 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [1/3] ccache: change compilercheck to use compiler and toolchain info
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287383/

I'm content to maintain my own limited solution (external toolchain,
no shared cache dirs) as a private buildroot mod, as it meets my
needs.  By all means, reject away.

>  - [2/2] ntp: prevent keyword-gen failure during ntp_keyword.h check
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/371305/

I am still able to reproduce this on my buildroot-2014.05 system with
NTP updated to the latest version and patches - but I cannot reproduce
this issue using HEAD with the save defconfig.  I don't understand it,
but its hard to argue with success.  Lets withdraw this one as well.

>  - [v2] qt: add gst-plugins-base dependency to multimedia module
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/389171/

I've no personal investment with this one.  You asked me to look into
an autobuilder failure, and this was the resulting fix.  The defconfig
from that original failure *still* causes a Qt build failure, and the
patch still applies (with a shift), and still fixes the build failure.
So I think this patch is still applicable, and okay as-is.

Danomi -

       [not found] <20150421124308.283B288A@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-05-02 13:57 ` Maxim Mikityanskiy
From: Maxim Mikityanskiy @ 2015-05-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello!

<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [01/16] package/busybox: optional udhcpc script
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430588/

I have new version of this patch.

>  - [03/16] package/dbus: fix machine-id when using systemd
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430583/

Applies cleanly and still relevant, I think.

>  - [04/16] package/systemd: add missing dependencies
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430582/

Still relevant and reviewed by Samuel.

>  - [05/16] package/systemd: apply locale settings in user shells
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430584/

I need to clarify something about this patch.

>  - [08/16] package/e2fsprogs: make /sbin/fsck available
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430587/

Still relevant and reviewed by Samuel.

>  - [09/16] package/minidlna: improve systemd support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430589/

I have new version of this patch.

>  - [10/16] package/transmission: improve systemd support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430590/

I have new version of this patch.

>  - [12/16] package/samba: add systemd support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430592/

I have new version of this patch.

>  - [15/16] package/vim: add default vimrc
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430595/

Still relevant and reviewed by Samuel.

>  - [16/16] package/rng-tools: add systemd support for rngd
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430596/
>
> We have a lot of pending patches:
>    https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/
>
> You can help shorten this list by reviewing and testing patches, which
> helps the maintainers when applying patches. The more patches are
> reviewed or tested patches, the more are applied; the more are
> applied, the shorter the list; the shorter the list, the faster
> patches are applied.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and contribution to Buildroot!
> --
> Buildroot, http://buildroot.org

Please tell me how can I update those patches that need updating.
them as answers in original threads, or is there any other preferred
way?

Best regards,
Maxim

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421124259.6DAD988C@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-30  9:02 ` Samuel Martin
From: Samuel Martin @ 2015-04-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.

Sorry for the late response here :-s
For the changes below, I won't be able to repost them before the
2015.05 is closed, but here is a status:

> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [v4,1/9] package/opencv: update opencv options after last version bump
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396923/
>
>  - [v4,2/9] package/opencv: add Qt5 support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396924/
>
>  - [v4,3/9] package/opencv: add python/numpy support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396925/
>
>  - [v4,4/9] package/opencv: add Gstreamer-1 support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396926/
>
>  - [v4,5/9] package/opencv: define modules inter-dependencies
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396928/
>
>  - [v4,6/9] package/opencv: add hidden symbol BR2_PACKAGE_OPENCV_USE_DEPRECATED_HEADERS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396927/
>
>  - [v4,7/9] package/opencv: fix opencv.pc file generation
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396929/
>
>  - [v4,8/9] package/vlc: add opencv support
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396930/
>
>  - [v4,9/9] package/gstreamer1/gst1-plugins-bad: rework opencv plugin dependencies
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/396931/

For this opencv serie, last time I rebased it (around the last BR dev
days back in February), it still cleanly applied with no conflict but
i don't remember the build test result.
This series mostly miss review and/or feedback.
Anyway, I'll rebase it, retest it and repost it for the next merge window.

>  - [1/2] target-finalize: generate all *.pyc
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/448095/
>
>  - [2/2] package/samba4: remove SAMBA4_BUILD_PYC_FILES hook
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/448096/

Polishing still in progress.
Again, for the 2015.08 cycle.

> We have a lot of pending patches:
>    https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/
>
> You can help shorten this list by reviewing and testing patches, which
> helps the maintainers when applying patches. The more patches are
> reviewed or tested patches, the more are applied; the more are
> applied, the shorter the list; the shorter the list, the faster
> patches are applied.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and contribution to Buildroot!
> --
> Buildroot, http://buildroot.org

Samuel

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421125630.D7AF788E@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-27  6:38 ` Fabio Porcedda
From: Fabio Porcedda @ 2015-04-27  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [v2] automake: use whenever possible the ACLOCAL_HOST_DIR variable
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/437690/

Still valid for me, it's a refactoring change so the behavior doesn't change.

> [...]
>
>  - [RFC,v3,03/30] iproute2: use the TARGET_LDFLAGS variable
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445590/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,04/30] opentyrian: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445587/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,05/30] pppd: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445588/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,06/30] openswan: set LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445589/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,07/30] exim: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445592/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,08/30] fbv: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445594/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,09/30] cups: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445591/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,10/30] faifa: use TARGET_LDFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445593/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,11/30] iw: use TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445595/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,12/30] dhcpdump: use TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS in order to support PPS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445597/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,13/30] dtc: add add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445596/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,14/30] openssh: add support to the per-package staging directory.
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445598/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,15/30] mjpg-streamer: add support for the per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445599/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,16/30] tcpreplay: delay the execution of pcap-config
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445600/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,17/30] erlang: add support for the per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445602/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,18/30] perl: don't loose the -shared flag when TARGET_LDFLAGS isn't empty
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445601/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,19/30] erlang-p1-iconv: bump to a version that use TARGET_CFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445603/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,20/30] erlang-p1-zlib: bump to a version that use TARGET_CFLAGS
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445606/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,21/30] lmbench: to be checked
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445604/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,22/30] Makefile: add the STAGINGNOPKG_DIR variable
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445607/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,23/30] gpsd: add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445605/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,24/30] triggerhappy: add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445609/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,25/30] ipsec-tools: add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445608/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,26/30] pkg-cmake: add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445613/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,27/30] pkg-luarocks: add support for per-package staging directory
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445614/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,28/30] pkgconf: Move PKG_CONFIG_HOST_BINARY to Makefile.in
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445610/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,29/30] pkg-generic: ADD_TOOLCHAIN_DEPENDENCY is true only for target packages
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/445611/
>
>  - [RFC,v3,30/30] pkg-generic: add support for per-package staging directory

As suggested i'm working on using the external toolchain wrapper to
set the sysroot, so I've maked this patch set as "Changes Requested".

IMHO there are other patches ready to be merged:

packages: fix and improve support for top-level parallel makefile
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/458382/

giflib: remove from the description the reference to libungif
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/460474/

1/4 support/download/cvs: add support to use a date instead of a tag
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/464749/

2/4 manual: cvs: document that a date can be used instead of a tag
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/464750/

3/4 expect: bump to version 5.45.3
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/464751/

4/4 manual: don't use a comment at the end of the version variable assignment
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/464752/

Thanks and best regards
--
Fabio Porcedda

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
@ 2015-04-26 16:34     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-26 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Nicolas Serafini,

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:17:56 +0200, Nicolas Serafini wrote:

> > >  - [1/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: prepare for multiple
> > > supported versions http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450221/
> > >
> > >  - [2/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: make the version a choice
> > >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450222/
> > >
> > >  - [3/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: add blind options to
> > > specify driver ABI http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450223/
> > >
> > >  - [4/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: not all versions need all
> > > dependencies http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450225/
> > >
> > >  - [5/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: add version 1.14.7
> > >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450224/
> > >
> > >  - [6/8,v8] package/nvidia-tegra23-binaries: new package
> > >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450226/
> > >
> > >  - [7/8,v8] package.nvidia-tegra23-binaries: add gstreamer plugins
> > >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450228/
> > >
> > >  - [8/8,v8] package/nvidia-tegra23-codecs: new package
> > >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450227/
> >
> > Still valid inmy point of view.
> >
> > Anyone can test this up to and including patch 5, as this does not
> > require access to specific hardware.

I have applied those patches now. I'm currently finalizing the last
bits, and I'm hoping to push them tonight.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
@ 2015-04-26 16:17   ` Nicolas Serafini
From: Nicolas Serafini @ 2015-04-26 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Yann, Thomas, All,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:36:10 +0200
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:

> Thomas, All,
>
> On 2015-04-21 14:43 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> > This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than
> > 30 days.
> >
> > We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> > To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> > patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that
> > applies on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if
> > you would like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer
> > interested.
> >
> > Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still
> > pending:
> >
> >  - [1/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: prepare for multiple
> > supported versions http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450221/
> >
> >  - [2/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: make the version a choice
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450222/
> >
> >  - [3/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: add blind options to
> > specify driver ABI http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450223/
> >
> >  - [4/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: not all versions need all
> > dependencies http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450225/
> >
> >  - [5/8,v8] package/xserver_xorg-server: add version 1.14.7
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450224/
> >
> >  - [6/8,v8] package/nvidia-tegra23-binaries: new package
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450226/
> >
> >  - [7/8,v8] package.nvidia-tegra23-binaries: add gstreamer plugins
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450228/
> >
> >  - [8/8,v8] package/nvidia-tegra23-codecs: new package
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450227/
>
> Still valid inmy point of view.
>
> Anyone can test this up to and including patch 5, as this does not
> require access to specific hardware.

I have been very busy past few weeks and I had no time to test these
patches.

During this week-end I have prepared a config and built images to test
all these patches on a tegra3 hardware.
I give you the results of my tests in the next two weeks.

> As for patches 6-8, anyone with access to a tegra2/3 system should
> test it, as I do not have access to such a system.
>
> >  - [2/2,v3] toolchain: fix installing gconv libs with multi-arch
> > toolchain http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451014/
>
> Still applicable. I will rebase and resend shortly.
>
> Thank you! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.

Thanks Yann to manage these patches.

Regards,

Nicolas

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
@ 2015-04-24 14:57   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Andr? Erdmann,

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:53:42 +0200, Andr? Erdmann wrote:

> >  - [v2,08/10] autobuild-run: encapsulate subprocess calls
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451515/
> >
> >  - [v2,09/10] autobuild-run: control subprocess env
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451516/
> >
> >  - [v2,10/10] autobuild-run: set locale to en_US or C
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451512/
> >

> I'll send a v3 soon. Apart from that, I'll take a look at the
> remaining autobuild-run patches/issues (failed network connection,
> processes not terminating properly e.g. on ctrl-C)

Great, thanks a lot!

Thomas
--

       [not found] <20150421125652.3BAD588D@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-24 14:53 ` André Erdmann
From: André Erdmann @ 2015-04-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

       [not found] <20150421124300.484EB88C@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-23  7:55 ` Károly Kasza
From: Károly Kasza @ 2015-04-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi!

 - [v3] inetutils: new package
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/443641/

Still relevant, these are the modifications required by you at V2 :) If the
user doesn't select busybox (rarely) than this is the only package the
could provide a telnet client.

 - [v4] linux-headers: allow use of headers from kernel "package" selected
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/444770/

Requires more discussion I think, Alexey accepted it, you didn't like the
implementation (choosy). The usefulness of this package is also contested.

 - system/system.mk: modify fstab according to GENERIC_REMOUNT_ROOTFS_RW
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/450199/

Still relevant, as BR Readonly ROOTFS is currently broken (?) because
/etc/fstab always mounts as RW. Requires double check.

Best regards,
Karoly
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421125646.3729288A@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-22 20:39 ` Romain Naour
From: Romain Naour @ 2015-04-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Thomas,

Le 21/04/2015 14:56, Thomas Petazzoni a ?crit :

>  - package/openvmtools: enable openvmtools kernel modules
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/441785/

This patch needs to be updated since the last openvmtools bump.

With the previous version, I was able to build all kernel module with 3.2.64
kernel but the build was broken 3.4+ kernel and with 3.2.64+ kernel due to a
backported patch.
As Karoly said, most of those drivers has been merged upstream (3.18~3.19), I'm
not sure we want to add a lot of patches to be able to build with stable kernel
release 3.4.y, 3.10.y, 3.12.y, 3.14.y.

Nevertheless, we can add this option with a big warning and say that the kernel
modules has been build and tested with a limited number of kernel version, at
least 3.2.64.

>  - package/gdb: disable shared build for host-gdb
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/449686/

See also, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/460494/ but I'm not very convinced.

Best regards,
Romain

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421125638.93B6B88C@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-22 19:05 ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2015-04-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
       [not found] <20150421124319.2021E88B@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-22  8:27 ` Richard Genoud
From: Richard Genoud @ 2015-04-22  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - qt: add QT_COORD_TYPE to double option
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/430972/

IMHO, It's still relevant.
I'll ressent it rebased on master.

Thanks !

Richard

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
@ 2015-04-22  7:56     ` Steven Noonan
From: Steven Noonan @ 2015-04-22  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Steven,
>
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:58:02 -0700, Steven Noonan wrote:
>
>> > Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>> >
>> >  - [1/7] package/perf: if slang is enabled, depend on it
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451638/
>> >
>> >  - [2/7] package/perf: if numactl (libnuma) is enabled, depend on it
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451636/
>> >
>> >  - [3/7] package/perf: if libunwind is enabled, depend on it
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451637/
>> >
>> >  - [5/7] package/perf: patch installation paths
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451641/
>> >
>> >  - [6/7] package/perf: add patch to prevent crash on empty history buffer
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451634/
>> >
>> >  - [7/7] package/perf: use correct definition of ARCH on x86_64
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451633/
>>
>> All 7 are still relevant.
>
> Ok. I'll have a look at those perf patches.

At least a couple of these depend on making perf patchable. :(

But the dependency ones (slang, numactl, libunwind) should be straightforward.

>> >  - implement granular choice for stack protector
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451643/
>>
>> Still relevant.
>
> Do all the gcc versions support those different levels of stack
> protection?

No, which is why the patch introduces the BR2_TOOLCHAIN_HAS_SSP_STRONG
flag (-fstack-protector-strong is the newest addition, added in GCC
4.9).

-fstack-protector and -fstack-protector-all were introduced at the
same time, but I'm not sure which version they were introduced in --
but since Buildroot doesn't currently have flags for whether the
toolchain supports it, we can assume it existed for quite some time.

>> >  - package/glibc: enable lock elision on x86_64 hosts
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451651/
>>
>> Still relevant.
>
> Is lock elision a feature always available on x86-64 ? Or only on
> certain cores ? I believe it required a certain generation of hardware.
> But maybe the glibc gracefully falls back to a non-elided lock
> implementation when the hardware does not have the required features.

It's available on Haswell and later. Enabling lock elision in glibc
will have it do a CPUID check whether the feature is supported before
using it, so it's safe to enable on *any* x86_64 build.

> All sort of questions that should have been addressed in the commit
> log... which is currently empty :-)

Fair enough, I am so used to thinking in this context that I didn't
realize it was non-trivial.

>> >  - package: add shadow 4.2.1
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451723/
>>
>> There was some followup discussion which I haven't addressed. But it
>> is still relevant.
>
> Yes, but can you address the comments?

Eventually. I have a lot on my plate right now. I have another patch
series I do want to send out eventually as well (introducing the X32
ABI support) but that's all on hold until things quiet down.

We can drop the submission until I can address the comments.

>> >  - package: add mosh 1.2.4
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451726/
>>
>> Still relevant.
>
> There has been some comments. Can you address them and resend? The
> comments have been made a month ago. While I agree we (Buildroot
> maintainers / core developers) are not best placed to criticize about
> delays, it would be good to respin patches not too long after the
> comments, so that they are kept "alive and moving".

Again, being busy doesn't help. :)

We can drop the submission until I can address the comments.

>> >  - [v2] package/perf: build outside kernel tree
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451947/
>>
>> Relevant but people didn't want this one -- I just didn't see an
>> alternative if we were going to apply any patches to perf.
>
> Yeah, this isn't a simple problem :-/

Well, it sort of is. Just extract it for both and deal with it. But
people are [perhaps rightfully] stingy about how much space is
consumed by extracting the kernel tree again. We could filter the
extract down to just the tools directory and any top-level Makefiles
that the tools directory depends on, and then it would be feasible to
extract+patch.

>> >  - package/libpthsem: correctly handle --{en, dis}able-debug arguments on configure
>> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/452271/
>>
>> Still relevant.
>
> Not really: we are going to get rid of passing --enable-debug /
> --disable-debug. A patch series doing this has already been posted. I
> believe it will make this patch irrelevant. Can you confirm?

Perhaps. If we pass *neither* --enable-debug or --disable-debug then
things should be fine. But libpthsem currently mishandles it and
considers both of --{enable,disable}-debug as enable -- which is
basically the opposite of what we wanted.

* [Buildroot] Reminder about your pending Buildroot patches
@ 2015-04-22  7:14   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-22  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Steven,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:58:02 -0700, Steven Noonan wrote:

> > Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
> >
> >  - [1/7] package/perf: if slang is enabled, depend on it
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451638/
> >
> >  - [2/7] package/perf: if numactl (libnuma) is enabled, depend on it
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451636/
> >
> >  - [3/7] package/perf: if libunwind is enabled, depend on it
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451637/
> >
> >  - [5/7] package/perf: patch installation paths
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451641/
> >
> >  - [6/7] package/perf: add patch to prevent crash on empty history buffer
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451634/
> >
> >  - [7/7] package/perf: use correct definition of ARCH on x86_64
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451633/
>
> All 7 are still relevant.

Ok. I'll have a look at those perf patches.

> >  - implement granular choice for stack protector
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451643/
>
> Still relevant.

Do all the gcc versions support those different levels of stack
protection?

> >  - package/glibc: enable lock elision on x86_64 hosts
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451651/
>
> Still relevant.

Is lock elision a feature always available on x86-64 ? Or only on
certain cores ? I believe it required a certain generation of hardware.
But maybe the glibc gracefully falls back to a non-elided lock
implementation when the hardware does not have the required features.

All sort of questions that should have been addressed in the commit
log... which is currently empty :-)

> >  - package: add shadow 4.2.1
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451723/
>
> There was some followup discussion which I haven't addressed. But it
> is still relevant.

Yes, but can you address the comments?

> >  - package: add mosh 1.2.4
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451726/
>
> Still relevant.

There has been some comments. Can you address them and resend? The
comments have been made a month ago. While I agree we (Buildroot
maintainers / core developers) are not best placed to criticize about
delays, it would be good to respin patches not too long after the
comments, so that they are kept "alive and moving".

> >  - [v2] package/perf: build outside kernel tree
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/451947/
>
> Relevant but people didn't want this one -- I just didn't see an
> alternative if we were going to apply any patches to perf.

Yeah, this isn't a simple problem :-/

> >  - package/libpthsem: correctly handle --{en, dis}able-debug arguments on configure
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/452271/
>
> Still relevant.

Not really: we are going to get rid of passing --enable-debug /
--disable-debug. A patch series doing this has already been posted. I
believe it will make this patch irrelevant. Can you confirm?

Thanks,

Thomas
--

       [not found] <20150421125634.385A788D@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-21 23:58 ` Steven Noonan
From: Steven Noonan @ 2015-04-21 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Thomas Petazzoni

@ 2015-04-21 20:30 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-04-21 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Peter Seiderer,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 20:42:40 +0200, Peter Seiderer wrote:

> > Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
> >
> >  - [v4,3/3] linux: install dtc only in case package host dtc is not selected
> >    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/431281/
> >

> Thanks for the reminder, referred patch is suberseded by/squashed into:
>
> Patchwork [v5] dtc: add host build
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/453619/

Thanks for the update!

Thomas
--

@ 2015-04-21 18:42 Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2015-04-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Thomas,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 02:56:44PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a reminder about your Buildroot patches that are older than 30
> days.
>
> We need your help to know if your patches are still relevant or not.
> To help us, make sure to update the status of your patches in
> patchwork as appropriate, or to resend an updated version that applies
> on the latest Buildroot master. Especially let us know if you would
> like to withdraw your patch if you are no longer interested.
>
> Here is the list of patches you have submitted that are still pending:
>
>  - [v4,3/3] linux: install dtc only in case package host dtc is not selected
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/431281/

Thanks for the reminder, referred patch is suberseded by/squashed into:

Patchwork [v5] dtc: add host build
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/453619/

Have done the patchwork status update...

Regards,
Peter

       [not found] <20150421124317.BA6BE88D@mail.free-electrons.com>
@ 2015-04-21 16:36 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2015-04-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2015-04-21 14:43 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly: