* dpdk shared lib build
@ 2013-11-01 23:24 Jose Gavine Cueto
       [not found] ` <CAJ5bv6HCngtoY+TcJCMT=jbHT9J0LK6sJzF_YpF=JYz9R+Mg8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jose Gavine Cueto @ 2013-11-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev-VfR2kkLFssw

Hi,

Building dpdk app. as a shared library (.so) I believe is supported but I
can't find any documentation for it.  I tried doing the same Makefile
format as building an app, and that is placed the following:

rte.vars.mk   ---------> before everything
rte.extshared.mk -----------> after everything

At first make, spits the following error:

  INSTALL-SHARED
cp: missing destination file operand after ‘/home/mydpdklib/src/build/lib’
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
make: *** [/home/linc/src/erlpmd.git/src/build/lib] Error 1

Second make, will do nothing, and lib does not contain any .so file.
 Additionally I added  LIB = mylib.so

Could somebody please tell me if I'm doing the right thing ?

Thanks
Pepe
--
To stop learning is like to stop loving.

* Re: dpdk shared lib build
       [not found] ` <CAJ5bv6HCngtoY+TcJCMT=jbHT9J0LK6sJzF_YpF=JYz9R+Mg8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-11-02  9:19   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2013-11-02  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Gavine Cueto; +Cc: dev-VfR2kkLFssw

Hi,

02/11/2013 07:24, Jose Gavine Cueto :
> Building dpdk app. as a shared library (.so) I believe is supported but I
> can't find any documentation for it.  I tried doing the same Makefile
> format as building an app, and that is placed the following:
>
> rte.vars.mk   ---------> before everything
> rte.extshared.mk -----------> after everything
>
> At first make, spits the following error:
>
>   INSTALL-SHARED
> cp: missing destination file operand after ‘/home/mydpdklib/src/build/lib’
> Try 'cp --help' for more information.
> make: *** [/home/linc/src/erlpmd.git/src/build/lib] Error 1
>
> Second make, will do nothing, and lib does not contain any .so file.
>  Additionally I added  LIB = mylib.so

I think you should define SHARED variable instead of LIB.
Please confirm it works.

By the way, it is the old way of doing shared library. It should be deprecated
and replaced by the new option RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB.

Could you also try the new method by using rte.extlib.mk with option
CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y ?

Thank you
--
Thomas