* SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-19 21:17 Joe Flowers
From: Joe Flowers @ 2018-10-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello everyone,

I need to get started on a Yocto set that will build a minimal core for a
target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like a
MinnowBoard.

I have scoured the web, SUSE, and this list's (Yocto Project) archives, but
have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right under my nose that
can be seen with more experience rather than being hidden behind private
walls.

Will someone please get me started on the pointers and downloads I need to
get started?

I have already run through a tutorial on creating a core OS using Yocto for
a WandBoard target hardware.

Thank you !

Joe
--------------

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-19 21:33 ` Ismael Martínez Dibene
From: Ismael Martínez Dibene @ 2018-10-19 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Flowers; +Cc: yocto

Do you mean OpenSuse? Since SLES is only build/provide to you by SUSE directly, it would be the same as trying to build your own RHEL instead of fedora. That would be difficult without theirs repositories ;-)

Saludos / Regards / Mit Freundlichen grüßen / Atenciosamente
Ismael Martínez Dibene

> Am 19.10.2018 um 16:17 schrieb Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com>:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to get started on a Yocto set that will build a minimal core for a target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like a MinnowBoard.
>
> I have scoured the web, SUSE, and this list's (Yocto Project) archives, but have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right under my nose that can be seen with more experience rather than being hidden behind private walls.
>
> Will someone please get me started on the pointers and downloads I need to get started?
>
> I have already run through a tutorial on creating a core OS using Yocto for a WandBoard target hardware.
>

> Thank you !
>
> Joe

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-19 21:42 ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2018-10-19 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Flowers; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to get started on a Yocto set that will build a minimal core for a
> target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like a
> MinnowBoard.

The Yocto project supports building distros based on OpenEmbedded. You
can't use Yocto to build SUSE.

(You can use Yocto to build an OpenEmbedded based distro on a SUSE
host... but if I understand correctly, that's not what you're asking,
right?).

> I have scoured the web, SUSE, and this list's (Yocto Project) archives, but
> have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right under my nose that
> can be seen with more experience rather than being hidden behind private
> walls.
>
> Will someone please get me started on the pointers and downloads I need to
> get started?
>
> I have already run through a tutorial on creating a core OS using Yocto for
> a WandBoard target hardware.
>

> Thank you !
>
> Joe

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-19 21:43   ` Joe Flowers
From: Joe Flowers @ 2018-10-19 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imdibene; +Cc: yocto

Yes, unfortunately, I mean SLES.

Your answer implies that to create a minimal SLES build I will have to
abandon Yocto and look for another build (or reduction) solution as I know
this has been done by non-SUSE entities.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Ismael Martínez Dibene <imdibene@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you mean OpenSuse? Since SLES is only build/provide to you by SUSE
> directly, it would be the same as trying to build your own RHEL instead of
> fedora. That would be difficult without theirs repositories ;-)
>
> Saludos / Regards / Mit Freundlichen grüßen / Atenciosamente
> Ismael Martínez Dibene
>
> > Am 19.10.2018 um 16:17 schrieb Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com>:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I need to get started on a Yocto set that will build a minimal core for
> a target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like a
> MinnowBoard.
> >
> > I have scoured the web, SUSE, and this list's (Yocto Project) archives,
> but have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right under my nose
> that can be seen with more experience rather than being hidden behind
> private walls.
> >
> > Will someone please get me started on the pointers and downloads I need
> to get started?
> >
> > I have already run through a tutorial on creating a core OS using Yocto
> for a WandBoard target hardware.
> >

> > Thank you !
> >
> > Joe

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-21 16:24     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-10-21 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to rebuild Suse then the recommended tool is OBS, as
that's what is used to build Suse.

Obviously, building your own SLES isn't SLES, just something that
looks like SLES (says a Centos just looks like, but isn't, RHEL).

Ross
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 22:43, Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com> wrote:

> Yes, unfortunately, I mean SLES.
>
> Your answer implies that to create a minimal SLES build I will have to abandon Yocto and look for another build (or reduction) solution as I know this has been done by non-SUSE entities.
>

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Ismael Martínez Dibene <imdibene@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean OpenSuse? Since SLES is only build/provide to you by SUSE directly, it would be the same as trying to build your own RHEL instead of fedora. That would be difficult without theirs repositories ;-)
>>
>> Saludos / Regards / Mit Freundlichen grüßen / Atenciosamente
>> Ismael Martínez Dibene
>>
>> > Am 19.10.2018 um 16:17 schrieb Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com>:
>> >
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I need to get started on a Yocto set that will build a minimal core for a target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like a MinnowBoard.
>> >
>> > I have scoured the web, SUSE, and this list's (Yocto Project) archives, but have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right under my nose that can be seen with more experience rather than being hidden behind private walls.
>> >
>> > Will someone please get me started on the pointers and downloads I need to get started?
>> >
>> > I have already run through a tutorial on creating a core OS using Yocto for a WandBoard target hardware.
>> >

>> > Thank you !
>> >
>> > Joe

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-21 16:32       ` Joe Flowers
From: Joe Flowers @ 2018-10-21 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Thank you. All of this is very helpful.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018, 12:24 PM Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:

> If you want to rebuild Suse then the recommended tool is OBS, as
> that's what is used to build Suse.
>
> Obviously, building your own SLES isn't SLES, just something that
> looks like SLES (says a Centos just looks like, but isn't, RHEL).
>
> Ross
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 22:43, Joe Flowers <joe.flowers@nofreewill.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, unfortunately, I mean SLES.
> >
> > Your answer implies that to create a minimal SLES build I will have to
> abandon Yocto and look for another build (or reduction) solution as I know
> this has been done by non-SUSE entities.
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Ismael Martínez Dibene <
> imdibene@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you mean OpenSuse? Since SLES is only build/provide to you by SUSE
> directly, it would be the same as trying to build your own RHEL instead of
> fedora. That would be difficult without theirs repositories ;-)
> >>
> >> Saludos / Regards / Mit Freundlichen grüßen / Atenciosamente
> >> Ismael Martínez Dibene

> for a target OS of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on x64 target hardware like
> a MinnowBoard.

> archives, but have run into no pointers.  My guess is that it is right
> under my nose that can be seen with more experience rather than being
> hidden behind private walls.

> need to get started?

> Yocto for a WandBoard target hardware.

* Re: SUSE SLES target OS
@ 2018-10-22 13:09     ` Gunnar Andersson
From: Gunnar Andersson @ 2018-10-22 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Flowers, imdibene; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 2018-10-19 at 17:43 -0400, Joe Flowers wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, I mean SLES.
>
> Your answer implies that to create a minimal SLES build I will have to
> abandon Yocto and look for another build (or reduction) solution as I know
> this has been done by non-SUSE entities.

Hmm...  Very interesting, but strange... but interesting... question.  Makes
me wonder why you are so set on building SLES for an embedded board?
But that's not for me to second-guess.  :-)

As pointed out the family of OpenEmbedded-based systems provide their own
set of build recipes ("layers") and several different reference
distributions (with appropriate patches and so on).

For source availability, I liked the analogy with building RHEL vs Fedora,
although on that side CentOS source distribution is available as a very
close duplicate of RHEL.  If you wanted to do something similar to meta-
debian what basis were you thinking of using in order to create your own
SLES if not OpenSUSE?  (Actually answering that would veer the thread off-
topic for the list I imagine, I'm just curious).

Related to the topic, the only similar ideas that I have seen floated in the
past involved using Debian source code with OE/Yocto build system.  I
suppose the idea for that would be that you have a strong handling of
security updates a compatible basic distro and of course a very large amount
of packages.

I still think it's a fairly strange approach since building Debian using
Debian tooling might suffice in that case (e.g. [2]).  You might get a bit
of a larger ecosystem of available BSPs in OpenEmbedded/Yocto environment
and a few additional embedded-targeted components (but a lot are built
with fairly standard setups like cmake anyway).  It wasn't clear if you need
a lot of different hardwares or just any board like minnowboard.

I was going to link the meta-debian layer, but it seems the Linutronix
slides cover this and more alternatives, so (for those interested in the
Debian/Yocto idea I mean) just start with that slide deck (and search
GitHub).

[1] https://linutronix.de/en/open-source/vortraege.php (look for slides &
video)
[2] https://apertis.org (not Yocto)