* correct CONFIG_HZ option
@ 2012-06-26  5:10 solmac john
From: solmac john @ 2012-06-26  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am using ARM multicore board and by default

CONFIG_HZ=250

Query: - 1- How to decide HZ for particular hardware

              2- Which is the best open source tool to test system
performance from given HZ.

Thanks,

John
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* correct CONFIG_HZ option
@ 2012-06-26  5:17 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2012-06-26  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi... :)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM, solmac john <johnsolmac@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using ARM multicore board and by default

okay, I am answering it from what I know about HZ impact on x86...

> CONFIG_HZ=250

looks good... a middle safe number, not too high not too low...

> Query: - 1- How to decide HZ for particular hardware

it's you who decide...do you want finer grained timer? or coarse one?

the impact is usually toward latency and responsiveness....together
with preemption model you choose actually.

> ??????????? ? 2- Which is the best open source tool to test system
> performance from given HZ.

run your application in that platform and see if it gives you impact.
from my experience, unless you need application that is sensitive in
timing such as MIDI sequencer, you won't notice the difference.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* correct CONFIG_HZ option
@ 2012-06-28 11:21   ` solmac john
From: solmac john @ 2012-06-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for reply

what is CONFIG_NO_HZ

can we enable CONFIG_NO_HZ and CONFIG_HZ both in our config

and what the drawback of dynamic CONFIG_NO_HZ tick.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com

@ 2012-06-29  4:06     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2012-06-29  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi...

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM, solmac john <johnsolmac@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply
>
> what is CONFIG_NO_HZ

it enables so called dynamic tick....

> can we enable CONFIG_NO_HZ and CONFIG_HZ both in our config

yup...that's fine...even better, it's recommended nowadays to reduce
power consumption at certain degree.

> and what the drawback of dynamic CONFIG_NO_HZ tick.

uhm, some people said to me that in certain combination, config_no_hz
will introduce higher latency. This is due to the cost of occasional
timer rearming, instead of classic approach where timer is programmed
to shot regularly. But, if your setup is not very latency sensitive,
the overhead is most likely negligible.

--

@ 2012-06-29 10:32       ` naveen yadav
From: naveen yadav @ 2012-06-29 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

AFAIK.

If you enable CONFIG_NO_HZ, then there is no meaning of HZ.
If CPU is heavy loaded it run with 10ms, and it idle then timer tick is off.

2. drawback of dynamic CONFIG_NO_HZ tick
a) slow response (less interactive system)

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Mulyadi Santosa

@ 2012-06-29 12:03     ` Andreas Platschek
From: Andreas Platschek @ 2012-06-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 06/28/2012 01:21 PM, solmac john wrote:
> Thanks for reply
> what is CONFIG_NO_HZ
Hi!

If you have no idea what a config entry means, use the help in
menuconfig (or whatever you are using)... e.g. for CONFIG_NO_HZ tells you

----------<snip>--------------
CONFIG_NO_HZ:

  This option enables a tickless system: timer interrupts will
  only trigger on an as-needed basis both when the system is
  busy and when the system is idle.

Symbol: NO_HZ [=n]
Type  : boolean
Prompt: Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)
    Defined at kernel/time/Kconfig:7
    Depends on: !ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET && GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS [=y]
    Location:
      -> Processor type and features
    Selects: TICK_ONESHOT [=n]
----------<snap>-------------

So this already gives you a general idea what the config entry does, and
some other useful info like dependency on other stuff that has to be
turn on/off.
> can we enable CONFIG_NO_HZ and CONFIG_HZ both in our config
This question is also answered here, as "Depends on:" would include
!CONFIG_HZ_250 if it had to be switched or sth.

> and what the drawback of dynamic CONFIG_NO_HZ tick.

I think the problems of longer latencies only apply on idle systems. Not
100% sure, but I think when the cpu goes into idle, the periodic timer
is stopped and longer intervals are done using one-shot timer to avoid
forcing the cpu out of idle just to see that nothing is to do and go
back into idle.
But I think if the CPU is not in idle the periodic timer.

regards,
andi