* BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-05 19:36 Mackenzie Meyer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mackenzie Meyer @ 2016-02-05 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,

I've tried checking around on google but can't find information
regarding the RAM requirements of BTRFS and most of the topics on
stability seem quite old.

So first would be memory requirements, my goal is to use deduplication
and compression. Approximately how many GB of RAM per TB of storage
would be recommended?

RAID 6 write holes?
The BTRFS wiki states that parity might be inconsistent after a crash.
That said, the wiki page for RAID 5/6 doesn't look like it has much
recent information on there. Has this issue been addressed and if not,
are there plans to address the RAID write hole issue? What would be a
recommended workaround to resolve inconsistent parity, should an
unexpected power down happen during write operations?

RAID 6 stability?
Any articles I've tried looking for online seem to be from early 2014,
I can't find anything recent discussing the stability of RAID 5 or 6.
Are there or have there recently been any data corruption bugs which
impact RAID 6? Would you consider RAID 6 safe/stable enough for
production use?

Do you still strongly recommend backups, or has stability reached a
point where backups aren't as critical? I'm thinking from a data
consistency standpoint, not a hardware failure standpoint.

I plan to start with a small array and add disks over time. That said,
currently I have mostly 2TB disks and some 3TB disks. If I replace all
2TB disks with 3TB disks, would BTRFS then start utilizing the full
3TB capacity of each disk, or would I need to destroy and rebuild my
array to benefit from the larger disks?

Thanks!

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-06  8:43 ` Duncan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Duncan @ 2016-02-06  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Mackenzie Meyer posted on Fri, 05 Feb 2016 14:36:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> Hello,
>
> I've tried checking around on google but can't find information
> regarding the RAM requirements of BTRFS and most of the topics on
> stability seem quite old.
>
> So first would be memory requirements, my goal is to use deduplication
> and compression. Approximately how many GB of RAM per TB of storage
> would be recommended?

The inline dedup patches are just reaching maturity and mainlining right
now, and aren't in a release yet.  Dedup's not my use-case so I've not
been following it /too/ closely, but briefly, as it's shaping up there's
going to be two backends available, an on-device backend that will be a
bit slower but should be more efficient at deduping, and an in-memory
backend that will be fast but less efficient.  Dedup memory usage is
configurable, however, with a rather low default of (IIRC) some MiB,
certainly nothing like GiB, unless of course you configure it that way
(which you may wish to if you have the memory and choose the memory-based
backend).

The memory issue is thus neither dedup nor compression (which is on-the-
fly and uses very little additional memory).

Instead, btrfs memory issues tend to be scaling related, specifically,
related to the number of subvolumes/snapshots, and to whether you have
quotas activated.

I'm actually not sure what the current quota status is as of 4.4 and the
in-development 4.5, but definitely, previous to that, quotas simply were
not stable and had known-broken corner-cases as well as serious scaling
issues, so the recommendation has been, you either need them or you
don't: if you need them, use a filesystem where quotas are mature and
stable; if not, use btrfs but leave quotas disabled as they have
definitely caused many a user serious headaches as they simply didn't
work well.  Unless of course you're specifically working with the devs to
test current quota code, reporting results and potentially running
debugging patches to get more info when there's problems, in which case
go right ahead, as you're one of the folks that's helping to eventually
make the feature stable and workable enough to actually depend on.

Btrfs snapshots/subvolumes are of course a relatively more stable btrfs
feature and are regularly used by many.  But there remain scaling issues
there as well, such that the recommended total filesystem cap on number
of subvolumes (including snapshots, which are a special kind of subvolume
that simply happens to share most of its data with other subvolumes) is
no more than 1000-3000.  The number of snapshots of individual
subvolumes, meanwhile, should be kept to 250 or so, which is actually
pretty reasonable even if you're starting with for instance half-hourly
auto-snapshotting (using snapper or the like), as long as a reasonable
snapshot thinning schedule is followed as well.

(As I've posted several times, starting with half-hourly snapshots,
thinning to hourly after say 12 hours, 2-hourly after 48 hours, daily
after a week, and weekly after perhaps 13 weeks (a quarter), then keeping
the remaining weeklys for another year, so 15 months of snapshots total,
after which if you haven't backed up to other media you obviously aren't
worried too much about losing the data anyway, you're still reasonably
close to 250-300 snapshots per subvolume, thus allowing snapshotting of
up to eight subvolumes on a similar program while still staying within
the filesystem cap of 2000 or so snapshots/subvolumes.)

Because with btrfs snapshotting being so easy, what we too often see if
people aren't warned about it, are people with 100K snapshots or the
like.  And during normal runtime, other than perhaps some slowdown due to
fragmentation, etc, even that works deceptively well.

Where the _problem_ occurs, however, is when you try to actually do
filesystem maintenance on that monster!  Both btrfs balance and btrfs
check slow down *dramatically*, to the point of practical unworkability,
somewhere in the double-digit-K (tens of thousands) snapshots range.
With 3000 it's noticeably slower than with only 1000, but while slow,
it's still _usable_.  Which is why the 1000-3000 range.  Depending on
people's pain point vs snapshotting needs, 1000 snapshots shouldn't be
much of a problem yet, but might not be enough for people with more than
3-4 subvolumes they want to keep snapshotted, while 3000 snapshots will
already be hitting the pain point for many, but may be needed and still
just fast enough to be tolerably usable given the tradeoff, for people
with many subvolumes they want to keep snapshotted.

And based on reports, btrfs check with tens of thousands of snapshots is
where memory usage goes thru the roof as well.  I'm not actually sure
about balance in terms of memory usage, tho it's definitely much slower
with that many snapshots.

It can also be noted that the problem affects snapshot deletion (unlike
snapshot creation which is effectively instantaneous, thus making it
deceptively easy for the unaware to get in such a hole with hundreds of
thousands of them, if they're doing scheduled snapshots but don't have a
snapshot thinning schedule setup as well) as well, since btrfs has to go
thru and sort out which other snapshots reference the same extents and
either delete the extents or simply reduce the reference count
accordingly, and if there's 100K snapshots to process, that can be
expected to take awhile.

Meanwhile, that's the problem for quotas as well, as they apparently at
least double the problem compared to snapshots without quotas.  And
because at least until very recently (current status unknown) they've
actually been broken and not reliable anyway, it simply hasn't been worth
the hassle, thus the "just turn them off, or if you actually need them,
use a filesystem where they're actually stable and reliable, not btrfs as
that's anything but the case here" recommendation.

> RAID 6 write holes?
> The BTRFS wiki states that parity might be inconsistent after a crash.
> That said, the wiki page for RAID 5/6 doesn't look like it has much
> recent information on there. Has this issue been addressed and if not,
> are there plans to address the RAID write hole issue? What would be a
> recommended workaround to resolve inconsistent parity, should an
> unexpected power down happen during write operations?

My own use-case is raid1 (preferably N-way-mirroring raid1 like mdraid,
but with btrfs runtime checksum verification, except that N-way-mirroring
is still to come, with current btrfs being pair-mirroring only,
unfortunately, so pair-mirroring I must be satisfied with, for now), so
while I've followed the raid56 situation with academic interest, it's not
personal interest so my detail knowledge is a bit more limited for raid56.

So I don't know for sure what the btrfs-specific status is on the raid56
write hole.  What I _do_ know is that raid5 and 6 in general are known to
have a write hole, that applies to parity-raid, in general.  Various
specific implementations try to do various things to limit damage, but as
it's a limitation of parity-raid technology in general, there's a limit
to the degree the hole _CAN_ be worked around or plugged.  Certainly it's
possible, but many implementations don't consider the complexity and
performance tradeoffs to be worth it, vs. the risk for their target use-
case(s).

So while I don't know the btrfs specifics, other than that btrfs raid56
modes do, like most other raid56 implementations, have a write hole to
worry about, I do know that the problem is a general parity-raid problem,
not btrfs-specific (tho due to btrfs' per-chunk raid vs. the more usual
per-device raid, it is indeed quite likely that the effect of the write
hole on btrfs is different, and may be much more likely to trigger
problems... I simply don't know further detail in that area).

> RAID 6 stability?
> Any articles I've tried looking for online seem to be from early 2014,
> I can't find anything recent discussing the stability of RAID 5 or 6.
> Are there or have there recently been any data corruption bugs which
> impact RAID 6?

Back when btrfs raid56 mode was first nominally complete in kernel 3.19,
about a year ago, I warned people not to consider it at all stable until
at _least_ a year, five kernel cycles, after initial nominal completion.
Turns out I was right, and there were several pretty serious bugs in
raid56 mode for 3.19, 4.0 and into the early 4.1 cycle (tho I believe the
fixes were in well before 4.1 release).

I also suggested that a further stability-recommendation requirement,
from my point of view anyway, was at least two full kernel cycles without
serious raid56 bugs.  Thus, while 4.4 does complete the year, the
question now becomes one of whether there have been any serious raid56
bugs since the last "blocker-level" bug was fixed in early 4.1.

Keeping in mind that following filesystem failure reports on the lists of
even so-called "stable" filesystems like ext4 certainly isn't for the
faint of heart, because there you only see the problems not the tens to
hundreds of thousands of "no problem" installs...

I'd honestly call it an open question.

There have certainly been a couple reports of failure to recover from
device loss as expected into 4.3 at least, but I don't know if they've
actually been traced to raid56 mode problems, or if they're unrelated
bugs, or maybe simply related to that previously discussed write hole...

Personally, if I had to call it right now, I'd say treat raid56 as
borderline stable, definitely not yet to the stability level of the rest
of btrfs in general, but also reasonably obviously beyond the initial
"teething problems" bugs, as there's reports of bugs that _could_ be
raid56 related, but to my knowledge at least, there's been nothing
definitely pinned to raid56 bugs since the last blocker-level bugs were
fixed in 4.1.

If there's time, I'd definitely prefer to give it another couple kernel
cycles, to 4.6 or so, after which 4.4 as an LTS kernel will get 4.6's bug-
fix backports, so assuming no big raid56 bugs show up by then, once it
gets those backports I'd probably consider 4.4-LTS as btrfs raid56 stable
as 4.6.

So 4.4 should be healthily developing toward btrfs raid56 stable, but I'd
still not consider raid56 mode as stable as the rest of btrfs until 4.6
or so, that of course assuming no bad raid56 bugs appear in the mean time.

There *IS* one known caveat at this point, however.  Raid56 parity
rebuild or balance to more/fewer devices can be ***VERY*** slow at this
point -- but isn't for everyone.  We have multiple reports and at least
one independent test confirmation of those reports to that effect.  We're
talking 2 MiB/sec slow... One guy doing a raid6 reshape from 10 devices
to 12 indicated 3% completion in three days, 1%/day so ~ 100 days to
complete, tho he was able to continue using the filesystem for other
things, with longer IO times, of course, while it was happening.

Again, not everyone is seeing it, but it's common enough that there's
probably something going on there that we don't know about yet, that
needs fixed.

FWIW, here's a gmane-archive link to the most informative recent thread
on the problem:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/52469

Tho something just occurred to me... I wonder if the problem might
actually be the snapshots and/or quota scaling issues discussed above.
That scaling issue is definitely one entirely unrelated to raid56 mode
problem that we already know about, and if they have quotas and 100K or
so snapshots, it'd pretty well explain things, because that's /exactly/
the sort of maintenance-time problems triggered with too many snapshots
and/or fewer but also active quotas.

> Would you consider RAID 6 safe/stable enough for production use?
>
> Do you still strongly recommend backups, or has stability reached a
> point where backups aren't as critical? I'm thinking from a data
> consistency standpoint, not a hardware failure standpoint.

This actually could be your show-stopper, but not for the reason you
think.

On this list, btrfs _in_ _general_ is still considered "stabilizING, not
yet fully stable and mature, and not yet ready for 'production use.'"
Let me emphasize that.  It's *not* just raid56 mode, which is as
explained above not yet as stable as btrfs in general, but ALL OF BTRFS
that is not yet considered fully stable, not yet ready for production
usage, and *DEFINITELY* backups recommended!

In fact, I've actually developed a bit of a reputation on this list for
drumming this point home in various levels of detail, depending on how
detailed I feel like being:

The sysadmin's first rule of backups states that for any level of backup
and the corresponding risk factor of having to use it, your data is
either worth the hassle and resources necessary to do that (additional?)
level of backup, or it's not.  Absolutely trivial data, internet cache,
on Linux, probably the local packages cache, etc, is either easily
redownloaded/recreated, or simply not worth worrying about at all, and is
thus likely not worth even a single level of backup.  OTOH, extremely
valuable data may be worth 101 levels of backup or more, some offsite in
multiple locations to protect against disaster outages, etc, because the
data is simply valuable enough that even given the extremely small risk
of losing or finding bad all 100 previous levels of backup at the same
time, it's still worth that 101 level (more?) of backup, just in case.

That's for *ANY* filesystem, including the most mature and stable ones.
Put in simpler form, if you don't even have a single level of backup, you
are by your actions, defining that data as of trivial value at best,
since the risk of having to actually use that primary backup isn't
trivial at all, even on the most stable and mature filesystem on proven
stable hardware.

Of course with btrfs itself being still stabilizing, not yet fully stable
and mature, the risk factor of actually having to use that backup is
higher, high enough that arguably, you consider the working copy a throw-
away copy, and the first level of backup your actual primary copy, such
that a second level of backup can actually be considered your first level
of backup.

And of course as I said, btrfs raid56 mode, while developing in a healthy
way with no known show-stoppers for a couple kernels, still isn't yet
what I'd call quite as stable as btrfs in general, so that ups the risk
factor yet again.

So seriously, either have that backup made _before_ you need it, or be
glad when you lose the data that after all you only lost the trivial
stuff, because your actions defined the time and resources saved by NOT
doing the backup to be worth more than the data you were risking losing,
and you saved it even if you did lose the data, which means you really
CAN still be happy, because you really DID save what your actions defined
as most important to you. =:^)

And if you don't like the way that sounds, seriously, do NOT consider
raid56 mode at this time, and really, you should be reconsidering even
thinking about btrfs at all, because you need stability in your
filesystem that btrfs simply isn't ready to provide, yet.  (Tho I do
wonder if the ext4, or for that matter, pretty much any other filesystem
devs, would consider their filesystem _that_ stable, to be ready to
handle those who aren't willing to make backups, who then blame the
filesystem instead of their priority-defining actions when data is
inevitably lost -- because on ANY filesystem and hardware, it's not if,
it's when, that being the whole reason behind the sysadmin's first rule
of backups and those multiple levels of backup in the first place.)

> I plan to start with a small array and add disks over time. That said,
> currently I have mostly 2TB disks and some 3TB disks. If I replace all
> 2TB disks with 3TB disks, would BTRFS then start utilizing the full 3TB
> capacity of each disk, or would I need to destroy and rebuild my array
> to benefit from the larger disks?

With raid6, btrfs needs four devices to allocate new raid6 chunks.
Additional devices with space available simply increase the width of the
stripe and (to a limit) the size of the chunk.  Allocation is is width-
first, using all devices with space available.

So with a mix of 2TB and 3TB devices, btrfs raid6 would allocate across
all devices until the 2TB devices are full, after which, as long as there
are still at least four 3TB devices available with their remaining free
space, it'll continue to allocate additional chunks to just them.

When you add devices, they will of course have much more space available
than the others.  So btrfs will start allocating to them too, but will
still allocate from the old devices as well until they are entirely out
of room.  As such, unless a balance is done to reallocate existing
chunks, if you add one device at a time, you may come to a point where
there's no longer unallocated space on older devices, only on new
devices, and there's not at least four of them, so btrfs will be unable
to allocate additional raid6 chunks, and the space on the odd new devices
will be unusable in raid6 mode at least until you add more devices so
there's unallocated free space on at least four of them again.

You can of course do a rebalance after adding new devices so existing
stripes are rewritten broader, over the new devices as well (and
similarly, btrfs device remove will trigger a reshape-rebalance to narrow
the stripes and put the data that was on that removed device elsewhere)
but as mentioned above, at least right now, some people are finding that
operation to be *extremely* slow.

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-09 14:07 ` Psalle
From: Psalle @ 2016-02-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mackenzie Meyer, linux-btrfs

On 05/02/16 20:36, Mackenzie Meyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've tried checking around on google but can't find information
> regarding the RAM requirements of BTRFS and most of the topics on
> stability seem quite old.

To keep my answer short: every time I've tried (offline) deduplication
or raid5 pools I've ended with borked filesystems. Last attempt was
about a year ago. Given that the pages you mention looked the same by
then, I'd stay away of raid56 for anything but testing purposes. I
haven't read anything about raid5 that increases my confidence in it
recently (i.e. post 3.19 kernels). Dedup, OTOH, I don't know. What I
used were third-party (I think?) things so the fault may have rested on
them and not btrfs (does that makes sense?)

I'm building a new small raid5 pool as we speak, though, for throw-away
data, so I hope to be favourably impressed.

Cheers.

@ 2016-02-09 20:39 ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2016-02-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mackenzie Meyer; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Mackenzie Meyer <snackmasterx@gmail.com> wrote:

> RAID 6 write holes?

I don't even understand the nature of the write hole on Btrfs. If
modification is still always COW, then either an fs block, a strip, or
whole stripe write happens, I'm not sure where the hole comes from. It
suggests some raid56 writes are not atomic.

If you're worried about raid56 write holes, then a.) you need a server
running this raid where power failures or crashes don't happen b.)
don't use raid56 c.) use ZFS.

> RAID 6 stability?
> Any articles I've tried looking for online seem to be from early 2014,
> I can't find anything recent discussing the stability of RAID 5 or 6.
> Are there or have there recently been any data corruption bugs which
> impact RAID 6? Would you consider RAID 6 safe/stable enough for
> production use?

It's not stable for your use case, if you have to ask others if it's
stable enough for your use case. Simple as that. Right now some raid6
users are experiencing remarkably slow balances, on the order of
weeks. If device replacement rebuild times are that long, I'd say it's
disqualifying for most any use case, just because there are
alternatives that have better fail over behavior than this. So far
there's no word from any developers what the problem might be, or
where to gather more information. So chances are they're already aware
of it but haven't reproduced it, or isolated it, or have a fix for it
yet.

If you're prepared to make Btrfs better in the event you have a
problem, with possibly some delay in getting that volume up and
running again (including the likelihood of having to rebuild it from a
backup), then it might be compatible with your use case.

> Do you still strongly recommend backups, or has stability reached a
> point where backups aren't as critical? I'm thinking from a data
> consistency standpoint, not a hardware failure standpoint.

You can't separate them. On completely stable hardware, stem to stern,
you'd have no backups, no Btrfs or ZFS, you'd just run linear/concat
arrays with XFS, for example. So you can't just hand wave the hardware
part away. There are bugs in the entire storage stack, there are
connectors that can become intermittent, the system could crash. All
of these affect data consistency.

Stability has not reach a point where backups aren't as critical. I
don't really even know what that means though. No matter Btrfs or not,
you need to be doing backups such that if the primary stack is a 100%
loss without notice, is not a disaster. Plan on having to use it. If
you don't like the sound of that, look elsewhere.

> I plan to start with a small array and add disks over time. That said,
> currently I have mostly 2TB disks and some 3TB disks. If I replace all
> 2TB disks with 3TB disks, would BTRFS then start utilizing the full
> 3TB capacity of each disk, or would I need to destroy and rebuild my
> array to benefit from the larger disks?

Btrfs, or LVM raid, or  mdraid, and ZFS all let you grow arrays, each
has different levels of ease of doing this and how long it will take,
without having to recreate the file system from scratch.

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-10 10:16 ` Psalle
From: Psalle @ 2016-02-10 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mackenzie Meyer, linux-btrfs

On 05/02/16 20:36, Mackenzie Meyer wrote:
> RAID 6 stability?
I'll say more: currently, btrfs is in a state of flux where if you don't
have a very recent kernel that's the first recommendation you're going
to receive in case of problems. This means going out of stable packages
in most distros.

Once you're in the bleeding kernel edge, you are obviously more likely
to run into undiscovered bugs. I even see here people that has to patch
the kernel with still non-mainline patches when trying to recover.

So don't for anything but testing.

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-10 13:57   ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2016-02-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy, Mackenzie Meyer; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On 2016-02-09 15:39, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Mackenzie Meyer <snackmasterx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> RAID 6 write holes?
>
> I don't even understand the nature of the write hole on Btrfs. If
> modification is still always COW, then either an fs block, a strip, or
> whole stripe write happens, I'm not sure where the hole comes from. It
> suggests some raid56 writes are not atomic.
It's an issue of torn writes in this case, not of atomicity of BTRFS.
Disks can't atomically write more than sector size chunks, which means
that almost all BTRFS filesystems are doing writes that disks can't
atomically complete.  Add to that that we serialized writes to different
devices, and it becomes trivial to lose some data if the system crashes
while BTRFS is writing out a stripe (it shouldn't screw up existing data
though, you'll just loose whatever you were trying to write).

One way to minimize this which would also boost performance on slow
storage would be to avoid writing parts of the stripe that aren't
changed (so for example, if only one disk in the stripe actually has
changed data, only write that and the parities).

> If you're worried about raid56 write holes, then a.) you need a server
> running this raid where power failures or crashes don't happen b.)
> don't use raid56 c.) use ZFS.
It's not just BTRFS that has this issue though, ZFS does too, it just
recovers more gracefully than BTRFS does, and even with the journaled
RAID{5,6} support that's being added in MDRAID (and by extension DM-RAID
and therefore LVM), it still has the same issue, it just moves it
elsewhere (in this case, it has problems if there's a torn write to the
journal).

>> RAID 6 stability?
>> Any articles I've tried looking for online seem to be from early 2014,
>> I can't find anything recent discussing the stability of RAID 5 or 6.
>> Are there or have there recently been any data corruption bugs which
>> impact RAID 6? Would you consider RAID 6 safe/stable enough for
>> production use?
>
> It's not stable for your use case, if you have to ask others if it's
> stable enough for your use case. Simple as that. Right now some raid6
> users are experiencing remarkably slow balances, on the order of
> weeks. If device replacement rebuild times are that long, I'd say it's
> disqualifying for most any use case, just because there are
> alternatives that have better fail over behavior than this. So far
> there's no word from any developers what the problem might be, or
> where to gather more information. So chances are they're already aware
> of it but haven't reproduced it, or isolated it, or have a fix for it
> yet.
Double on this, we should probably put something similar on the wiki,
and this really applies to any feature, not just raid56.

>> Do you still strongly recommend backups, or has stability reached a
>> point where backups aren't as critical? I'm thinking from a data
>> consistency standpoint, not a hardware failure standpoint.
>
> You can't separate them. On completely stable hardware, stem to stern,
> you'd have no backups, no Btrfs or ZFS, you'd just run linear/concat
> arrays with XFS, for example. So you can't just hand wave the hardware
> part away. There are bugs in the entire storage stack, there are
> connectors that can become intermittent, the system could crash. All
> of these affect data consistency.
I may be wrong, but I believe the intent of this question was to try and
figure out how likely BTRFS itself is to cause crashes or data
corruption, independent of the hardware. In other words, 'Do I need to
worry significantly about BTRFS in planning for disaster recovery, or
can I focus primarily on the hardware itself?' or 'Is the most likely
failure mode going to be hardware failure, or software?'. In general,
right now I'd say that using BTRFS in traditional multi-device setup
(nothing more than raid1 or possibly raid10), you've got roughly a 50%
chance of an arbitrary crash being a software issue instead of hardware.
Single disk, I'd say it's probably closer to 25%, and raid56 I'd say
it's probably closer to 75%. By comparison, I'd say that with ZFS it's
maybe a 5% chance (ZFS is developed as enterprise level software, it has
to work, period), and with XFS on LVM raid, probably about 15% (similar
to ZFS, XFS is supposed to be enterprise level software, the difference
here comes from LVM, which has had some interesting issues recently due
to incomplete testing of certain things before they got pushed upstream).

> Stability has not reach a point where backups aren't as critical. I
> don't really even know what that means though. No matter Btrfs or not,
> you need to be doing backups such that if the primary stack is a 100%
> loss without notice, is not a disaster. Plan on having to use it. If
> you don't like the sound of that, look elsewhere.
What your using has impact on how you need to do backups.  For someone
who can afford long periods of down time for example, it may be
perfectly fine to use something like Amazon S3 Glacier storage (which
has a 4 hour lead time on restoration for read access) for backups.
OTOH, if you can't afford more than a few minutes of down time and want
to use BTRFS, you should probably have full on-line on-site backups
which you can switch in on a moments notice while you fix things.

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-10 19:06     ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2016-02-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin S. Hemmelgarn; +Cc: Chris Murphy, Mackenzie Meyer, Btrfs BTRFS

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferroin7@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's an issue of torn writes in this case, not of atomicity of BTRFS. Disks
> can't atomically write more than sector size chunks, which means that almost
> all BTRFS filesystems are doing writes that disks can't atomically complete.
> Add to that that we serialized writes to different devices, and it becomes
> trivial to lose some data if the system crashes while BTRFS is writing out a
> stripe (it shouldn't screw up existing data though, you'll just loose
> whatever you were trying to write).

I follow all of this. I still don't know how a torn write leads to a
write hole in the conventional sense though. If the write is partial,
a pointer never should have been written to that unfinished write. So
the pointer that's there after a crash should either point to the old
stripe or new stripe (which includes parity), not to the new data
strips but an old (stale) parity strip for that partial stripe write
that was interrupted. It's easy to see how conventional raid gets this
wrong because it has no pointers to strips, those locations are known
due to the geometry (raid level, layout, number of devices) and fixed.
I don't know what rmw looks like on Btrfs raid56 without overwriting
the stripe - a whole new cow'd stripe, and then metadata is updated to
reflect the new location of that stripe?

> One way to minimize this which would also boost performance on slow storage
> would be to avoid writing parts of the stripe that aren't changed (so for
> example, if only one disk in the stripe actually has changed data, only
> write that and the parities).

I'm pretty sure that's part of rmw, which is not a full stripe write.
At least there appears to be some distinction in raid56.c between
them. The additional optimization that md raid has had for some time
is the ability during rmw of a single data chunk (what they call
strips, or the smallest unit in a stripe), they can actually optimize
the change down to a sector write. So they aren't even doing full
chunk/strip writes either. The parity strip though I think must be
completely rewritten.

>> If you're worried about raid56 write holes, then a.) you need a server
>> running this raid where power failures or crashes don't happen b.)
>> don't use raid56 c.) use ZFS.
>
> It's not just BTRFS that has this issue though, ZFS does too,

Well it's widely considered to not have the write hole. From a ZFS
conference I got this tidbit on how they closed the write hole, but I
still don't understand why they'd be pointing to a partial (torn)
write in the first place:

"key insight was realizing instead of treating a stripe as it's a
"stripe of separate blocks" you can take a block and break it up into
many sectors and have a stripe across the sectors that is of one logic
block, that eliminates the write hole because even if the write is
partial until all of those writes are complete there's not going to be
an uber block referencing any of that." –Bonwick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcV2PaMTAJ4
14:45

> What your using has impact on how you need to do backups.  For someone who
> can afford long periods of down time for example, it may be perfectly fine
> to use something like Amazon S3 Glacier storage (which has a 4 hour lead
> time on restoration for read access) for backups. OTOH, if you can't afford
> more than a few minutes of down time and want to use BTRFS, you should
> probably have full on-line on-site backups which you can switch in on a
> moments notice while you fix things.

Right or use glusterfs or ceph if you need to stay up and running
during a total brick implosion. Quite honestly, I would much rather
see Btrfs single support multiple streams per device, like XFS does
with allocation groups when used on linear/concat of multiple devices;
two to four per

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-10 19:59       ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2016-02-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy; +Cc: Mackenzie Meyer, Btrfs BTRFS

On 2016-02-10 14:06, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
> <ahferroin7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's an issue of torn writes in this case, not of atomicity of BTRFS. Disks
>> can't atomically write more than sector size chunks, which means that almost
>> all BTRFS filesystems are doing writes that disks can't atomically complete.
>> Add to that that we serialized writes to different devices, and it becomes
>> trivial to lose some data if the system crashes while BTRFS is writing out a
>> stripe (it shouldn't screw up existing data though, you'll just loose
>> whatever you were trying to write).
>
> I follow all of this. I still don't know how a torn write leads to a
> write hole in the conventional sense though. If the write is partial,
> a pointer never should have been written to that unfinished write. So
> the pointer that's there after a crash should either point to the old
> stripe or new stripe (which includes parity), not to the new data
> strips but an old (stale) parity strip for that partial stripe write
> that was interrupted. It's easy to see how conventional raid gets this
> wrong because it has no pointers to strips, those locations are known
> due to the geometry (raid level, layout, number of devices) and fixed.
> I don't know what rmw looks like on Btrfs raid56 without overwriting
> the stripe - a whole new cow'd stripe, and then metadata is updated to
> reflect the new location of that stripe?

I agree, it's not technically a write hole in the conventional sense,
but the terminology has become commonplace for data loss in RAID{5,6}
due to a failure somewhere in the write path, and this does fit in that
sense.  In this case the failure is in writing out the metadata that
references the blocks instead of in writing out the blocks themselves.
Even though you don't loose any existing data, you still loose anything
that you were trying to write out.

>> One way to minimize this which would also boost performance on slow storage
>> would be to avoid writing parts of the stripe that aren't changed (so for
>> example, if only one disk in the stripe actually has changed data, only
>> write that and the parities).
>
> I'm pretty sure that's part of rmw, which is not a full stripe write.
> At least there appears to be some distinction in raid56.c between
> them. The additional optimization that md raid has had for some time
> is the ability during rmw of a single data chunk (what they call
> strips, or the smallest unit in a stripe), they can actually optimize
> the change down to a sector write. So they aren't even doing full
> chunk/strip writes either. The parity strip though I think must be
> completely rewritten.
I actually wasn't aware that BTRFS did this (it's been a while since I
looked at the kernel code), although I'm glad to hear it does.

>>> If you're worried about raid56 write holes, then a.) you need a server
>>> running this raid where power failures or crashes don't happen b.)
>>> don't use raid56 c.) use ZFS.
>>
>> It's not just BTRFS that has this issue though, ZFS does too,
>
> Well it's widely considered to not have the write hole. From a ZFS
> conference I got this tidbit on how they closed the write hole, but I
> still don't understand why they'd be pointing to a partial (torn)
> write in the first place:
>
> "key insight was realizing instead of treating a stripe as it's a
> "stripe of separate blocks" you can take a block and break it up into
> many sectors and have a stripe across the sectors that is of one logic
> block, that eliminates the write hole because even if the write is
> partial until all of those writes are complete there's not going to be
> an uber block referencing any of that." –Bonwick
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcV2PaMTAJ4
> 14:45
Again, a torn write to the metadata referencing the block (stripe in
this case I believe) will result in loosing anything written by the
update to the stripe.  There is no way that _any_ system can avoid this
issue without having the ability to truly atomically write out the
entire metadata tree after the block (stripe) update.  Doing so would
require a degree of tight hardware level integration that's functionally
impossible for any general purpose system (in essence, the filesystem
would have to be implemented in the hardware, not software).

>> What your using has impact on how you need to do backups.  For someone who
>> can afford long periods of down time for example, it may be perfectly fine
>> to use something like Amazon S3 Glacier storage (which has a 4 hour lead
>> time on restoration for read access) for backups. OTOH, if you can't afford
>> more than a few minutes of down time and want to use BTRFS, you should
>> probably have full on-line on-site backups which you can switch in on a
>> moments notice while you fix things.
>
> Right or use glusterfs or ceph if you need to stay up and running
> during a total brick implosion. Quite honestly, I would much rather
> see Btrfs single support multiple streams per device, like XFS does
> with allocation groups when used on linear/concat of multiple devices;
> two to four per

I'm not entirely certain that I understand what you're referring to WRT

@ 2016-02-11 14:14         ` Goffredo Baroncelli
From: Goffredo Baroncelli @ 2016-02-11 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin S. Hemmelgarn, Chris Murphy; +Cc: Mackenzie Meyer, Btrfs BTRFS

On 2016-02-10 20:59, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
[...]
> Again, a torn write to the metadata referencing the block (stripe in
> this case I believe) will result in loosing anything written by the
> update to the stripe.

I think that the order matters: first the data block are written (in a new location, so the old data are untouched), then the metadata, from the leafs up to the upper node (again in a new location), then the superblock which references to the upper node of the tree(s).

If you interrupt the writes in any time, the filesystem can survive because the old superblock-metadata-tree and data-block are still valid until the last pieces (the new superblock) is written.

And if this last step fails, the checksum shows that the super-block is invalid and the old one is taken in consideration.

> There is no way that _any_ system can avoid
> this issue without having the ability to truly atomically write out
> the entire metadata tree after the block (stripe) update.

It is not needed to atomically write the (meta)data in a COW filesystem, because the new data don't owerwrite the old one. The only thing that is needed is that before the last piece is written all the previous (mata)data are already written.

For not COW filesystem a journal is required to avoid this kind of problem.

> Doing so
> would require a degree of tight hardware level integration that's
> functionally impossible for any general purpose system (in essence,
> the filesystem would have to be implemented in the hardware, not
> software).

To solve the raid-write-hole problem, a checksum system (of data and metadata) is sufficient. However to protect with checksum the data, it seems that a COW filesystem is required.

The only critical thing, is that the hardware has to not lie about the fact that the data reached the platter. Most of the problem reported in the ML are related to external disk used in USB enclousure, which most of the time lie about this aspect.

GB

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-11 14:58           ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2016-02-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kreijack, Chris Murphy; +Cc: Mackenzie Meyer, Btrfs BTRFS

On 2016-02-11 09:14, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
> On 2016-02-10 20:59, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> [...]
>> Again, a torn write to the metadata referencing the block (stripe in
>> this case I believe) will result in loosing anything written by the
>> update to the stripe.
>
> I think that the order matters: first the data block are written (in a new location, so the old data are untouched), then the metadata, from the leafs up to the upper node (again in a new location), then the superblock which references to the upper node of the tree(s).
>
> If you interrupt the writes in any time, the filesystem can survive because the old superblock-metadata-tree and data-block are still valid until the last pieces (the new superblock) is written.
>
> And if this last step fails, the checksum shows that the super-block is invalid and the old one is taken in consideration.
You're not understanding what I'm saying.  If a write fails anywhere
during the process of updating the metadata, up to and including the
super-block, then you loose the data writes that triggered the metadata
update.  This doesn't result in a broken filesystem, but it does result
in data loss, even if it's not what most people think of as data loss.

To make a really simplified example, assume we have a single block of
data (D) referenced by a single metadata block (M) and a single
super-block referencing the metadata block (S).  On a COW filesystem,
when you write to D, it allocates and writes a new block (D2) to store
the data, then allocates and writes a new metadata block (M2) to point
to D2, and then updates the superblock in-place to point to M2.  If the
write to M2 fails, you loose all new data in D2 that wasn't already in
D.  There is no way that a COW filesystem can avoid this type of data
loss without being able to force the underlying storage to atomically
write out all of D2, M2, and S at the same time, it's an inherent issue
in COW semantics in general, not just filesystems.

>> There is no way that _any_ system can avoid
>> this issue without having the ability to truly atomically write out
>> the entire metadata tree after the block (stripe) update.
>
> It is not needed to atomically write the (meta)data in a COW filesystem, because the new data don't owerwrite the old one. The only thing that is needed is that before the last piece is written all the previous (mata)data are already written.\
Even when enforcing ordering, the issue I've outlined above is still
present.  If a write fails at any point in the metadata updates
cascading up the tree, then any new data below that point in the tree is
lost.

> For not COW filesystem a journal is required to avoid this kind of problem.
To a certain extent yes, but journals have issues that COW doesn't.  A
torn write in the journal on most traditional journaling filesystems
will often result in a broken filesystem.

>> Doing so
>> would require a degree of tight hardware level integration that's
>> functionally impossible for any general purpose system (in essence,
>> the filesystem would have to be implemented in the hardware, not
>> software).
>
> To solve the raid-write-hole problem, a checksum system (of data and metadata) is sufficient. However to protect with checksum the data, it seems that a COW filesystem is required.
Either COW, or log structuring, or the ability to atomically write out
groups of blocks.  Log structuring (like NILFS2, or LogFS, or even LFS
from *BSD) has performance implications on traditional rotational media,
and only recently are storage devices appearing that can actually handle
atomic writes of groups of multiple blocks at the same time, so COW has
been the predominant model because it works on everything, and doesn't
have the performance issues of log-structured filesystems (if
implemented correctly).

> The only critical thing, is that the hardware has to not lie about the fact that the data reached the platter. Most of the problem reported in the ML are related to external disk used in USB enclousure, which most of the time lie about this aspect.
That really depends on what you mean by 'lie about the data being on the
platter'.  All modern hard disks have a write cache, and a decent
percentage don't properly support flushing the write cache except by
waiting for it to drain, many of them arbitrarily re-order writes within
the cache, and none that I've seen have a non-volatile write cache, and
therefore all such disks arguably lie about when the write is actually
complete.  SSD's add yet another layer of complexity to this, because
the good ones have either a non-volatile write cache, or have built-in
batteries or super-capacitors to make sure they can flush the write
cache when power is lost, so some SSD's can behave just like HDD's do
and claim the write is complete when it hits the cache without
technically lying, but most SSD's don't document whether they do this or
not.

* Re: BTRFS RAM requirements, RAID 6 stability/write holes and expansion questions
@ 2016-02-11 17:29             ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2016-02-11 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin S. Hemmelgarn; +Cc: kreijack, Chris Murphy, Mackenzie Meyer, Btrfs BTRFS

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn
<ahferroin7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-02-11 09:14, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-02-10 20:59, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Again, a torn write to the metadata referencing the block (stripe in
>>> this case I believe) will result in loosing anything written by the
>>> update to the stripe.
>>

>> I think that the order matters: first the data block are written (in a new
>> location, so the old data are untouched), then the metadata, from the leafs
>> up to the upper node (again in a new location), then the superblock which
>> references to the upper node of the tree(s).
>>
>> If you interrupt the writes in any time, the filesystem can survive
>> because the old superblock-metadata-tree and data-block are still valid
>> until the last pieces (the new superblock) is written.
>>
>> And if this last step fails, the checksum shows that the super-block is
>> invalid and the old one is taken in consideration.
>
> You're not understanding what I'm saying.  If a write fails anywhere during
> the process of updating the metadata, up to and including the super-block,
> then you loose the data writes that triggered the metadata update.  This
> doesn't result in a broken filesystem, but it does result in data loss, even
> if it's not what most people think of as data loss.
>
> To make a really simplified example, assume we have a single block of data
> (D) referenced by a single metadata block (M) and a single super-block
> referencing the metadata block (S).  On a COW filesystem, when you write to
> D, it allocates and writes a new block (D2) to store the data, then
> allocates and writes a new metadata block (M2) to point to D2, and then
> updates the superblock in-place to point to M2.  If the write to M2 fails,
> you loose all new data in D2 that wasn't already in D.  There is no way that
> a COW filesystem can avoid this type of data loss without being able to
> force the underlying storage to atomically write out all of D2, M2, and S at
> the same time, it's an inherent issue in COW semantics in general, not just
> filesystems.

Sure but this is not a write hole. This exact same problem happens on
a single device file system. Do you know if raid56 parity strips are
considered part of (D) or (M)? In any case I think the Btrfs write
hole is different than what you're talking about.

The concern about the parity raid write hole is data is written OK,
and only in the event a device goes missing or there's an IO error on
a data containing block, such that reconstruction from parity is
required, if there's a bad or torn write for parity then the
reconstruction is bad and you won't know it. That's the key thing:
silent corruption during reconstruction.

Of all the problems we're having with raid56 in the general sense, let
alone the Btrfs specific case, the raid56 write hole seems like an
astronomically minor issue. What I'm much more curious about is how
these stripes are even being COWd in the first place, and how many
more IOs we're hit with compared to the same transaction on a single
device.

>> The only critical thing, is that the hardware has to not lie about the
>> fact that the data reached the platter. Most of the problem reported in the
>> ML are related to external disk used in USB enclousure, which most of the
>> time lie about this aspect.
>
> That really depends on what you mean by 'lie about the data being on the
> platter'.  All modern hard disks have a write cache, and a decent percentage
> don't properly support flushing the write cache except by waiting for it to
> drain, many of them arbitrarily re-order writes within the cache, and none
> that I've seen have a non-volatile write cache, and therefore all such disks
> arguably lie about when the write is actually complete.  SSD's add yet
> another layer of complexity to this, because the good ones have either a
> non-volatile write cache, or have built-in batteries or super-capacitors to
> make sure they can flush the write cache when power is lost, so some SSD's
> can behave just like HDD's do and claim the write is complete when it hits
> the cache without technically lying, but most SSD's don't document whether
> they do this or not.

Yeah I think the ship of knowing what happens inside these boxes is in
the process of sailing away, if not gone. On the plus side, they do
all of this faster than a HDD would. So there's a better chance of the
command queue in the write cache actually completing to stable media
than is the case for a HDD *IF* the manufacturer has done the work and
testing.

--
Chris Murphy