* override merge.ff = false using --ff-only
       [not found] <CAJELnLEGCshD9z9get62+T6Z83OdPJ+A5BNSzsHA1_OC1Q00Hw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-05-22 13:21 ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2013-05-22 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I naively tried to override merge.ff = false using --ff-only on the
command line. I expected that it would override the configured default
and perform a fast-forward merge. Instead, it said:

    $ git config -l | grep -F 'merge.ff'
    merge.ff=false

    $ git merge --ff-only foo
    fatal: You cannot combine --no-ff with --ff-only.

On the other hand, I see that --ff works just fine in the same initial state.

    $ git merge --ff foo
    Updating b869407..17b5495
    Fast-forward

Would it be better if --ff-only refused to merge only if the commits
themselves prevented fast-forwarding?

--
Matt McClure
http://matthewlmcclure.com

* Re: override merge.ff = false using --ff-only
@ 2013-05-22 13:36   ` Yann Droneaud
From: Yann Droneaud @ 2013-05-22 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt McClure; +Cc: git

Hi,

Le 22.05.2013 15:21, Matt McClure a écrit :
> I naively tried to override merge.ff = false using --ff-only on the
> command line. I expected that it would override the configured
> default
> and perform a fast-forward merge. Instead, it said:
>
>     $ git config -l | grep -F 'merge.ff'
>     merge.ff=false
>
>     $ git merge --ff-only foo
>     fatal: You cannot combine --no-ff with --ff-only.
>
> On the other hand, I see that --ff works just fine in the same
> initial state.

You might want to read the following messages from thread "git merge
<tag> behavior"

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/218519
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/218755
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/218786

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA

* Re: override merge.ff = false using --ff-only
@ 2013-05-22 18:12   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2013-05-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt McClure; +Cc: git

Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com> writes:

> I naively tried to override merge.ff = false using --ff-only on the
> command line. I expected that it would override the configured default
> and perform a fast-forward merge. Instead, it said:
>
>     $ git config -l | grep -F 'merge.ff'
>     merge.ff=false
>
>     $ git merge --ff-only foo
>     fatal: You cannot combine --no-ff with --ff-only.
>
> On the other hand, I see that --ff works just fine in the same initial state.
>
>     $ git merge --ff foo
>     Updating b869407..17b5495
>     Fast-forward
>      4 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
>
> Would it be better if --ff-only refused to merge only if the commits
> themselves prevented fast-forwarding?

In general it would be better if any --ff related command line
options made us ignore the configured default like merge.ff the user
may have in the repository, not just --ff-only vs merge.ff
combination, and your "On the other hand" demonstrates that it is
the case for --ff from the command line.

I do not offhand see why --ff-only should behave differently from
that expectation.