* License compliance with binary distribution
@ 2020-10-31 19:37 Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2020-10-31 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info

Dear Kernel CI team,

I saw that you keep the compiled Linux kernel binary on
https://storage.kernelci.org. To be GPLv2 license compliant you might
need to mention the license and offer the source code. Knowing the
purpose of Kernel CI, the source code and license are kind of obvious...
but it might not be that obvious if someone visits the link directly,
e.g.:
https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/arm/omap2plus_defconfig/gcc-8/

Best regards,
Krzysztof

* Re: License compliance with binary distribution
@ 2020-11-02 11:23 ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2020-11-02 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, krzk

Hi Krzysztof,

On 31/10/2020 19:37, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> Dear Kernel CI team,
>
> I saw that you keep the compiled Linux kernel binary on
> https://storage.kernelci.org. To be GPLv2 license compliant you might
> need to mention the license and offer the source code. Knowing the
> purpose of Kernel CI, the source code and license are kind of obvious...
> but it might not be that obvious if someone visits the link directly,
> e.g.:
> https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/arm/omap2plus_defconfig/gcc-8/

The source code for all the kernel binaries on kernelci.org can
be found in the top-level directory for each kernel revision
being built.  For the example you mentioned, it's there:

  https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/linux-src_stable-rc_queue-4.9.tar.gz

Alternatively, you can see the build meta-data in this JSON file:

  https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/arm/omap2plus_defconfig/gcc-8/bmeta.json

which contains things such as:

    "git_branch": "queue/4.9",
    "git_commit": "04b990a9881ae9d88501e81eb6999063636e9f18",
    "git_url": "https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable-rc.git",

I believe this would make it obvious where to find the source
code from a Git repository, and the source tarballs also contain
the license file.

Does that seem enough to comply with GPL-2.0?  If we need to show
some explanation like I just did in this email, maybe we could
add a custom footer on the storage index pages.

Best regards,
Guillaume

* Re: License compliance with binary distribution
@ 2020-11-02 11:29   ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2020-11-02 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker; +Cc: kernelci

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 12:23, Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> On 31/10/2020 19:37, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> > Dear Kernel CI team,
> >
> > I saw that you keep the compiled Linux kernel binary on
> > https://storage.kernelci.org. To be GPLv2 license compliant you might
> > need to mention the license and offer the source code. Knowing the
> > purpose of Kernel CI, the source code and license are kind of obvious...
> > but it might not be that obvious if someone visits the link directly,
> > e.g.:
> > https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/arm/omap2plus_defconfig/gcc-8/
>
> The source code for all the kernel binaries on kernelci.org can
> be found in the top-level directory for each kernel revision
> being built.  For the example you mentioned, it's there:
>
>   https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/linux-src_stable-rc_queue-4.9.tar.gz

This looks good to me. It even solves the problem of funny part of
GPLv2 about providing the sources from the same location as binary
(https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html
See "4.1.4 Option 6(d) in GPLv3: Internet Distribution").

> Alternatively, you can see the build meta-data in this JSON file:
>
>   https://storage.kernelci.org/stable-rc/queue-4.9/v4.9.241-11-g04b990a9881a/arm/omap2plus_defconfig/gcc-8/bmeta.json
>
> which contains things such as:
>
>     "git_branch": "queue/4.9",
>     "git_commit": "04b990a9881ae9d88501e81eb6999063636e9f18",
>     "git_url": "https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable-rc.git",
>
> I believe this would make it obvious where to find the source
> code from a Git repository, and the source tarballs also contain
> the license file.
>
> Does that seem enough to comply with GPL-2.0?  If we need to show
> some explanation like I just did in this email, maybe we could
> add a custom footer on the storage index pages.

I think you still need to mention the license and put the license text
somewhere around.

Best regards,
Krzysztof