* [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
       [not found] <1009168463.49610.1408133034828.JavaMail.zimbra@xes-inc.com>
@ 2014-08-15 20:18 ` Andrew Martin
From: Andrew Martin @ 2014-08-15 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I am running several qemu-kvm VM servers on Ubuntu 12.04 with qemu-kvm 1.4.0.
Most of the guests are also running Ubuntu 12.04. I am using qcow2 disk images
with the virtio driver in almost all cases, and am storing the disks on two
types of storage devices:
* a shared NFS server mounted on each host
* local ext4 filesystems on each host (on top of an md RAID1 of HDDs)

It seems like the consensus for NFS is to use cache=none in order to support
live migration between hosts.

For local ext4 filesystems, I see from this message and elsewhere that
cache=writeback is now the default disk cache mode, and is safe on ext4:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-02/msg02689.html

All of the hosts and guests are using ext4 (with the default
data=ordered,barrier). Thus it seems probable that the kernel (3.2.x or newer)
should support flushing correctly? Is there a way to check in the guest is
utilizing WCE (or any other required components) correctly?

I recently experienced UPS failure on several hosts which caused a hard
shutdown. After restarting, 3 of the guests had corruption on their disks and
required a fairly long fsck to fix. Afterwards, data that had been written to
the disks several hours before the crash was corrupted, which makes me think
that it was never fsync()-ed to the non-volatile storage.

Is it safe in this setup to use cache=writeback? Or, should I use
cache=writethrough instead?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-19 14:59   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-08-19 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 03:18:15PM -0500, Andrew Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running several qemu-kvm VM servers on Ubuntu 12.04 with qemu-kvm 1.4.0.
> Most of the guests are also running Ubuntu 12.04. I am using qcow2 disk images
> with the virtio driver in almost all cases, and am storing the disks on two
> types of storage devices:
> * a shared NFS server mounted on each host
> * local ext4 filesystems on each host (on top of an md RAID1 of HDDs)
>
> It seems like the consensus for NFS is to use cache=none in order to support
> live migration between hosts.
>
> For local ext4 filesystems, I see from this message and elsewhere that
> cache=writeback is now the default disk cache mode, and is safe on ext4:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-02/msg02689.html
>
> All of the hosts and guests are using ext4 (with the default
> data=ordered,barrier). Thus it seems probable that the kernel (3.2.x or newer)
> should support flushing correctly? Is there a way to check in the guest is
> utilizing WCE (or any other required components) correctly?

If you strace -f the QEMU process on the host, you will see fdatasync(2)
system calls when the guest flushes the disk.

You can find the file descriptor number by checking ls -l
/proc/$PID_OF_QEMU/fd and looking for the disk image file.

> I recently experienced UPS failure on several hosts which caused a hard
> shutdown. After restarting, 3 of the guests had corruption on their disks and
> required a fairly long fsck to fix. Afterwards, data that had been written to
> the disks several hours before the crash was corrupted, which makes me think
> that it was never fsync()-ed to the non-volatile storage.

What exactly was the "corruption" you encountered?  Which application,
error message, etc.

> Is it safe in this setup to use cache=writeback? Or, should I use
> cache=writethrough instead?

Ubuntu 12.04 is recent and sends write cache flushes.

Are you sure the file system and/or application workload are flushing
the disk cache?  Please check the mount options and application-specific
configuration.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-19 23:20     ` Andrew Martin
From: Andrew Martin @ 2014-08-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-08-21 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Andrew Martin <amartin@xes-inc.com> wrote:
> [...]

There is a misconception here.  Writing data to disk does not make it
persistent across power failure.  The behavior you observed is
actually expected.

Flushing the disk cache is a deliberate operation that applications
must perform to ensure data is safe on disk.

You can use sync(1) to manually flush file system buffers for testing.
On the host you should see an fdatasync(2).

>> > I recently experienced UPS failure on several hosts which caused a hard
>> > shutdown. After restarting, 3 of the guests had corruption on their disks
>> > and
>> > required a fairly long fsck to fix. Afterwards, data that had been written
>> > the disks several hours before the crash was corrupted, which makes me
>> > think
>> > that it was never fsync()-ed to the non-volatile storage.
>>
>> What exactly was the "corruption" you encountered?  Which application,
>> error message, etc.
>
> Two of the servers are web servers with apache2. In one case, a python daemon
> copies JPGs onto the server - the last 100 copied onto the server were corrupted.
> In another case, some files had been uploaded several days prior to the www-root,
> but after the hard reset said files were no longer present in the filesystem.

Did the Python daemon fsync the files and directories it modified/created?

Did you sync(1) after copying files to www-root?

Also, you didn't explain what "corrupted" means.  Where the jpg files
missing, were they zero bytes in size, were they filled with junk,
etc?

>> > Is it safe in this setup to use cache=writeback? Or, should I use
>> > cache=writethrough instead?
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04 is recent and sends write cache flushes.
>>
>> Are you sure the file system and/or application workload are flushing
>> the disk cache?  Please check the mount options and application-specific
>> configuration.
>
> The mount options for the ext4 filesystem in the VM in both cases are:
> rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered
>
> Similarly, the host's ext4 filesystem holding the images is mounted with:
> rw,relatime,data=ordered
>
> I did not see any errors in the kernel log in the guest, probably because the
> root filesystem was read-only until the fsck had completed.

Good, that is a sane setup.  I guess the behavior you saw would also
happen on a physical machine, it is necessary to fsync the file or
sync the file system to guarantee that data is safely on disk.

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-25 18:13         ` Andrew Martin
From: Andrew Martin @ 2014-08-25 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

> > When the disk is set to cache=writethrough on one of the same VMs, I see
> > frequent
> > fdatasync(2) calls (every few seconds). However, when I change the disk
> > over to
> > cache=writeback, since boot I have not yet seen a single fdatasync(2) call,
> > even
> > after writing data 2x the amount of RAM:
>
> There is a misconception here.  Writing data to disk does not make it
> persistent across power failure.  The behavior you observed is
> actually expected.
>
> Flushing the disk cache is a deliberate operation that applications
> must perform to ensure data is safe on disk.
>
> You can use sync(1) to manually flush file system buffers for testing.
> On the host you should see an fdatasync(2).

I booted a VM into both writeback and none, and in both cases wrote some data to
the disk and then issued sync(1) as root while stracing the QEMU process on the
host. In both cases, I did not see any fdatasync, fsync, or sync syscalls passed.

> >> What exactly was the "corruption" you encountered?  Which application,
> >> error message, etc.
> >
> > Two of the servers are web servers with apache2. In one case, a python
> > daemon
> > copies JPGs onto the server - the last 100 copied onto the server were
> > corrupted.
> > In another case, some files had been uploaded several days prior to the
> > www-root,
> > but after the hard reset said files were no longer present in the
> > filesystem.
>
> Did the Python daemon fsync the files and directories it modified/created?
>
> Did you sync(1) after copying files to www-root?
>
> Also, you didn't explain what "corrupted" means.  Where the jpg files
> missing, were they zero bytes in size, were they filled with junk,
> etc?

The jpgs appeared to be a normal size, but were filled with junk. The files
uploaded by apache2 were missing from the filesystem.

Even if the python daemon or apache2 did not fsync the modified files, isn't
there some action that the OS takes periodically to flush dirty pages to disk?
This seems to be implied in the SuSE documentation:
https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_kvm/data/sect1_1_chapter_book_kvm.html
"the normal page cache management will handle commitment to the storage device."

In the case of the files uploaded by apache2, they were added to the server days
before  the power outage, so it seems like there would have been ample time for
those changes to have been flushed.

Thanks!

Andrew

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-26  7:03           ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-08-26  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin, Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel

Il 25/08/2014 20:13, Andrew Martin ha scritto:
> Even if the python daemon or apache2 did not fsync the modified files, isn't
> there some action that the OS takes periodically to flush dirty pages to disk?
> This seems to be implied in the SuSE documentation:
> https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_kvm/data/sect1_1_chapter_book_kvm.html
> "the normal page cache management will handle commitment to the storage device."

... using fsync :)

> In the case of the files uploaded by apache2, they were added to the server days
> before  the power outage, so it seems like there would have been ample time for
> those changes to have been flushed.

Remember that cache=writeback has a huge cache, whose size is several
gigabytes.

At some point there was a QEMU bug that caused the guest not to do
fsyncs.  It was fixed by commit ef5bc96268.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-27 14:23             ` Andrew Martin
From: Andrew Martin @ 2014-08-27 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

> > In the case of the files uploaded by apache2, they were added to the server
> > days
> > before  the power outage, so it seems like there would have been ample time
> > for
> > those changes to have been flushed.
>
> Remember that cache=writeback has a huge cache, whose size is several
> gigabytes.
>
> At some point there was a QEMU bug that caused the guest not to do
> fsyncs.  It was fixed by commit ef5bc96268.

Paolo,

Thanks for the info about this bug - I am using QEMU 1.4.0 (released on 02/15/13)
and ef5bc96268 was added on 09/20/13, so the bug had not been fixed in the version
of QEMU I am using. I have had trouble reproducing it on-demand - was there specific
behavior you used to reproduce it, or just the lack of fsyncs or fdatasyncs when
stracing the QEMU process when using cache=writeback?

Thanks,

Andrew

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-27 14:34               ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-08-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

Il 27/08/2014 16:23, Andrew Martin ha scritto:
> Thanks for the info about this bug - I am using QEMU 1.4.0 (released on 02/15/13)
> and ef5bc96268 was added on 09/20/13, so the bug had not been fixed in the version
> of QEMU I am using. I have had trouble reproducing it on-demand - was there specific
> behavior you used to reproduce it, or just the lack of fsyncs or fdatasyncs when
> stracing the QEMU process when using cache=writeback?

Just the lack of fdatasyncs.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-27 18:46                 ` Andrew Martin
From: Andrew Martin @ 2014-08-27 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

> Il 27/08/2014 16:23, Andrew Martin ha scritto:
> > Thanks for the info about this bug - I am using QEMU 1.4.0 (released on
> > 02/15/13)
> > and ef5bc96268 was added on 09/20/13, so the bug had not been fixed in the
> > version
> > of QEMU I am using. I have had trouble reproducing it on-demand - was there
> > specific
> > behavior you used to reproduce it, or just the lack of fsyncs or fdatasyncs
> > when
> > stracing the QEMU process when using cache=writeback?
>
> Just the lack of fdatasyncs.

Paolo,

I also did not see any fdatasyncs when using cache=none - would that also be
explained by this bug?

Thanks,

Andrew

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-27 20:47                   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-08-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

> > Just the lack of fdatasyncs.
>
> I also did not see any fdatasyncs when using cache=none - would that also be
> explained by this bug?

Yes, cache=none and cache=writeback are the same as far as the _disk_ cache
is concerned, and you need fdatasyncs to flush the disk cache too.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Using cache=writeback safely on qemu 1.4.0 and later
@ 2014-08-28 10:22           ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-08-28 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Martin; +Cc: qemu-devel