* Feedback on multi-process QEMU muser prototype
@ 2020-01-14 15:22 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-01-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel
  Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, John G Johnson, Jag Raman,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Michael S. Tsirkin, Daniel P. Berrange,
	Markus Armbruster, Paolo Bonzini, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Felipe Franciosi, Marc-André Lureau

I haven't seen the link to the muser prototype shared on the list yet,
so I'm taking the liberty of posting it for discussion:
https://github.com/oracle/qemu/tree/multi-process-qemu-v0.4.1-muser

Great that a lot of the multi-process patch series is no longer
necessary.  The muser approach requires less code in QEMU.

The following points came to mind:

1. Configure PCI configuration space, BARs, and MSI/IRQs based on the PCIDevice
   instead of hard-coding the LSI SCSI controller's specifics.  That way any
   PCIDevice can run as an muser device.

2. Integrate with QEMU's event loop instead of spawning threads and calling
   lm_ctx_run().  The event loop should monitor the muser fd for activity using
   aio_set_fd_handler() and then call into libmuser to handle the event.  This
   will avoid thread model problems in the future and also allow true
   multi-threading (IOThreads).

3. Drop previous multi-process QEMU commits if they are not needed.

Stefan

* Re: Feedback on multi-process QEMU muser prototype
@ 2020-01-15 10:58 ` Felipe Franciosi
From: Felipe Franciosi @ 2020-01-15 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: Elena Ufimtseva, John G Johnson, Daniel P. Berrange, Jag Raman,
	Swapnil Ingle, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Michael S. Tsirkin,
	qemu-devel, Markus Armbruster, Thanos Makatos, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Paolo Bonzini, Marc-André Lureau

Hi,

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 3:22 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I haven't seen the link to the muser prototype shared on the list yet,
> so I'm taking the liberty of posting it for discussion:
> https://github.com/oracle/qemu/tree/multi-process-qemu-v0.4.1-muser
>
> Great that a lot of the multi-process patch series is no longer
> necessary.  The muser approach requires less code in QEMU.
>
> The following points came to mind:
>
> 1. Configure PCI configuration space, BARs, and MSI/IRQs based on the PCIDevice
>   instead of hard-coding the LSI SCSI controller's specifics.  That way any
>   PCIDevice can run as an muser device.
>
> 2. Integrate with QEMU's event loop instead of spawning threads and calling
>   lm_ctx_run().  The event loop should monitor the muser fd for activity using
>   aio_set_fd_handler() and then call into libmuser to handle the event.  This
>   will avoid thread model problems in the future and also allow true
>   multi-threading (IOThreads).

Allowing muser to be used like that is in our to-do list.

(+ Thanos / Swapnil).

We have to extend muser.ko to allow the device file descriptor to be
"pollable".  Let me know how soon you want to see that so we can
prioritise accordingly or assist someone in doing the work.

F.

@ 2020-01-20 10:41   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-01-20 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Franciosi