* Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016
@ 2016-01-25 17:28 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: libvir-list, kvm

The QEMU wiki page for Google Summer of Code 2016 is now available here:

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016

QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2016 (https://g.co/gsoc/).
If QEMU is accepted there will be funding for students to work on
12-week full-time open source projects remotely from May to August
2016.  QEMU provides a mentor for each student who gives advice and
evaluates their progress.

If you have a project idea, especially if you are a regular
contributor to QEMU and are willing to mentor this summer, please go
to this wiki page and fill out the project idea template:

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016

The project ideas list is part of the application so that QEMU can
participate in GSoC.  It's useful to have your project ideas on the
wiki by February 8th 2016.

If you have any questions about project ideas or QEMU applying to
GSoC, please reply to this thread.

Thanks,
Stefan

* [Qemu-devel] Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016
@ 2016-01-25 17:28 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: libvir-list, kvm

[...]

* Re: [libvirt] Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016
@ 2016-01-26 10:13   ` Michal Privoznik
From: Michal Privoznik @ 2016-01-26 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel; +Cc: libvir-list, kvm

On 25.01.2016 18:28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> The QEMU wiki page for Google Summer of Code 2016 is now available here:
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>
> QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2016 (https://g.co/gsoc/).
> If QEMU is accepted there will be funding for students to work on
> 12-week full-time open source projects remotely from May to August
> 2016.  QEMU provides a mentor for each student who gives advice and
> evaluates their progress.
>
> If you have a project idea, especially if you are a regular
> contributor to QEMU and are willing to mentor this summer, please go
> to this wiki page and fill out the project idea template:
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>
> The project ideas list is part of the application so that QEMU can
> participate in GSoC.  It's useful to have your project ideas on the
> wiki by February 8th 2016.
>
> If you have any questions about project ideas or QEMU applying to
> GSoC, please reply to this thread.

Hey Stefan,

so as we spoke earlier in person, I think it's time for libvirt to try
and apply as a separate organization.

I went ahead and created similar GSoC ideas page for libvirt:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016

My question is, is qemu willing to back libvirt in case we don't get
selected and if so, should we duplicate the idea list into qemu wiki too?

Michal

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016
@ 2016-01-26 10:13   ` Michal Privoznik
From: Michal Privoznik @ 2016-01-26 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel; +Cc: libvir-list, kvm

@ 2016-01-27 10:56     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Privoznik; +Cc: libvir-list, qemu-devel, kvm

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 25.01.2016 18:28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > The QEMU wiki page for Google Summer of Code 2016 is now available here:
> >
> > http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
> >
> > QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2016 (https://g.co/gsoc/).
> > If QEMU is accepted there will be funding for students to work on
> > 12-week full-time open source projects remotely from May to August
> > 2016.  QEMU provides a mentor for each student who gives advice and
> > evaluates their progress.
> >
> > If you have a project idea, especially if you are a regular
> > contributor to QEMU and are willing to mentor this summer, please go
> > to this wiki page and fill out the project idea template:
> >
> > http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
> >
> > The project ideas list is part of the application so that QEMU can
> > participate in GSoC.  It's useful to have your project ideas on the
> > wiki by February 8th 2016.
> >
> > If you have any questions about project ideas or QEMU applying to
> > GSoC, please reply to this thread.
>
> Hey Stefan,
>
> so as we spoke earlier in person, I think it's time for libvirt to try
> and apply as a separate organization.

Great!

> I went ahead and created similar GSoC ideas page for libvirt:
>
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>
> My question is, is qemu willing to back libvirt in case we don't get
> selected and if so, should we duplicate the idea list into qemu wiki too?

I'm worried that this would look like orgs trying to game the system.

Are there project ideas that involve both QEMU and libvirt changes?  For
those I think it's fair to have them in both org's lists.  Anything that
is purely QEMU or libvirt shouldn't be duplicated.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Privoznik; +Cc: libvir-list, qemu-devel, kvm

@ 2016-01-27 11:06       ` Michal Privoznik
From: Michal Privoznik @ 2016-01-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, libvir-list, kvm

On 27.01.2016 11:56, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:13:16AM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> On 25.01.2016 18:28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> The QEMU wiki page for Google Summer of Code 2016 is now available here:
>>>
>>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>>>
>>> QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2016 (https://g.co/gsoc/).
>>> If QEMU is accepted there will be funding for students to work on
>>> 12-week full-time open source projects remotely from May to August
>>> 2016.  QEMU provides a mentor for each student who gives advice and
>>> evaluates their progress.
>>>
>>> If you have a project idea, especially if you are a regular
>>> contributor to QEMU and are willing to mentor this summer, please go
>>> to this wiki page and fill out the project idea template:
>>>
>>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>>>
>>> The project ideas list is part of the application so that QEMU can
>>> participate in GSoC.  It's useful to have your project ideas on the
>>> wiki by February 8th 2016.
>>>
>>> If you have any questions about project ideas or QEMU applying to
>>> GSoC, please reply to this thread.
>>
>> Hey Stefan,
>>
>> so as we spoke earlier in person, I think it's time for libvirt to try
>> and apply as a separate organization.
>
> Great!
>
>> I went ahead and created similar GSoC ideas page for libvirt:
>>
>> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>>
>> My question is, is qemu willing to back libvirt in case we don't get
>> selected and if so, should we duplicate the idea list into qemu wiki too?
>
> I'm worried that this would look like orgs trying to game the system.

You're right. Maybe we should not do it after all.

> Are there project ideas that involve both QEMU and libvirt changes?  For
> those I think it's fair to have them in both org's lists.  Anything that
> is purely QEMU or libvirt shouldn't be duplicated.

So far none. But I have adjusted both our wikis to note that.

From: Michal Privoznik @ 2016-01-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: libvir-list, qemu-devel, kvm

@ 2016-01-28 11:01         ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Privoznik; +Cc: qemu-devel, libvir-list, kvm

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:06:22PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 27.01.2016 11:56, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> >> Hey Stefan,
> >>
> >> so as we spoke earlier in person, I think it's time for libvirt to try
> >> and apply as a separate organization.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> >> I went ahead and created similar GSoC ideas page for libvirt:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
> >>
> >> My question is, is qemu willing to back libvirt in case we don't get
> >> selected and if so, should we duplicate the idea list into qemu wiki too?
> >
> > I'm worried that this would look like orgs trying to game the system.
>
> You're right. Maybe we should not do it after all.
>

> > Are there project ideas that involve both QEMU and libvirt changes?  For
> > those I think it's fair to have them in both org's lists.  Anything that
> > is purely QEMU or libvirt shouldn't be duplicated.
> >

> So far none. But I have adjusted both our wikis to note that.

By the way, you are welcome to put the QEMU org as a reference on the
application form for libvirt.  It boosts your chance slightly as a new
org to have another org vouch for you.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2016-01-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)