* Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-23 17:21 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-01-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, libvir-list, kvm
  Cc: Michal Privoznik, Martin Kletzander, Jan Kiszka, Alexander Graf,
	Peter Maydell, Gonglei, Paolo Bonzini, Max Reitz, Fam Zheng,
	Markus Armbruster, Gerd Hoffmann

Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.

What is GSoC?
Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
funding for one or more students.

We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
need mentors to volunteer.

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015

Project ideas
Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
internals can be assumed.

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015

Mentors
Please add your name to project ideas you are willing to mentor.  In
order to mentor you must be an established contributor (regularly
contribute patches).  You must be willing to spend about 5 hours per
week from May 25 to August 21.

I have CCed the 8 most active committers since QEMU 2.1.0 as well as
the previous libvirt and KVM mentors but everyone is invited.

Official timeline:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc20145

Stefan

* [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-23 17:21 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-01-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, libvir-list, kvm
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Fam Zheng, Michal Privoznik, Alexander Graf,
	Max Reitz, Gonglei, Jan Kiszka, Gerd Hoffmann, Martin Kletzander,
	Paolo Bonzini, Markus Armbruster

[...]

* Re: Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-27  2:21   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-01-27  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: qemu-devel, libvir-list, kvm, Michal Privoznik,
	Martin Kletzander, Jan Kiszka, Alexander Graf, Peter Maydell,
	Gonglei, Paolo Bonzini, Max Reitz, Markus Armbruster,
	Gerd Hoffmann

On Fri, 01/23 17:21, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>
> What is GSoC?
> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
> funding for one or more students.
>

> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
> need mentors to volunteer.
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>
> Project ideas
> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
> internals can be assumed.
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>
> Mentors
> Please add your name to project ideas you are willing to mentor.  In
> order to mentor you must be an established contributor (regularly
> contribute patches).  You must be willing to spend about 5 hours per
> week from May 25 to August 21.
>
> I have CCed the 8 most active committers since QEMU 2.1.0 as well as
> the previous libvirt and KVM mentors but everyone is invited.
>
> Official timeline:
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc20145

s/20145/2015/

Thank you for organizing it!

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-27  2:21   ` Fam Zheng
From: Fam Zheng @ 2015-01-27  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: Peter Maydell, kvm, libvir-list, Michal Privoznik, qemu-devel,
	Alexander Graf, Gonglei, Jan Kiszka, Gerd Hoffmann,
	Martin Kletzander, Paolo Bonzini, Max Reitz, Markus Armbruster

On Fri, 01/23 17:21, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>
> What is GSoC?
> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
> funding for one or more students.
>

> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
> need mentors to volunteer.
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>
> Project ideas
> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
> internals can be assumed.
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>
> Mentors
> Please add your name to project ideas you are willing to mentor.  In
> order to mentor you must be an established contributor (regularly
> contribute patches).  You must be willing to spend about 5 hours per
> week from May 25 to August 21.
>
> I have CCed the 8 most active committers since QEMU 2.1.0 as well as
> the previous libvirt and KVM mentors but everyone is invited.
>
> Official timeline:
> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc20145

s/20145/2015/

Thank you for organizing it!

Fam

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2015-01-27 12:48 ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2015-01-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi

On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>
> What is GSoC?
> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
> funding for one or more students.
>

> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
> need mentors to volunteer.
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>
> Project ideas
> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
> internals can be assumed.

I'm not the most active of contributors, but here's an idea:

Project idea: Integrate ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver

Currently the ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver are two
distinct implementations, and have different bugs/features.
This leads to the situation that things which work when using the IDE
emulation don't work when using the SCSI emulation and vice versa.
So this project is for implementing a virtual ATA-to-SCSI bridge
in qemu, use this for emulating an IDE ATAPI drive, and merging the
missing features from the IDE implementation into the SCSI one.

Skill level: intermediate

(This would also help to implement advanced features like NCQ autosense
or sense data reporting in the ATA emulation. Just in case someone's
daft enough trying to implement a ZAC emulation ...).

And yes, I'd be willing to mentor it.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-27 17:55   ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2015-01-27 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke, qemu-devel; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi

On 01/27/2015 07:48 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
>> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
>> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
>> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>>
>> What is GSoC?
>> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
>> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
>> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
>> funding for one or more students.
>>

>> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
>> need mentors to volunteer.
>>
>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>>
>> Project ideas
>> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
>> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
>> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
>> internals can be assumed.
>>
> I'm not the most active of contributors, but here's an idea:
>
> Project idea: Integrate ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver
>
> Currently the ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver are two
> distinct implementations, and have different bugs/features.
> This leads to the situation that things which work when using the IDE
> emulation don't work when using the SCSI emulation and vice versa.
> So this project is for implementing a virtual ATA-to-SCSI bridge
> in qemu, use this for emulating an IDE ATAPI drive, and merging the
> missing features from the IDE implementation into the SCSI one.
>
> Skill level: intermediate
>
> (This would also help to implement advanced features like NCQ autosense
> or sense data reporting in the ATA emulation. Just in case someone's
> daft enough trying to implement a ZAC emulation ...).
>
> And yes, I'd be willing to mentor it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hannes

This would be very cool, and it might help make our admittedly weak
ATAPI support stronger.

I've asked Paolo before if he thought I should try to merge the ATAPI
and SCSI code, but he passed on the idea at the time. Might be something
a GSoC student could take a stab at, though the maze of SCSI, IDE and
ATAPI specs can be a little difficult to navigate at times.

If a bridge was designed to replace the current ATAPI code entirely, it
would need to have some inter-operability with the AHCI code, which has
its own unique quirks that we need to be mindful of.

It might wind up being a bit of a tall order, but it could be good fun.

--js

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-01-28  6:57     ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2015-01-28  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow, qemu-devel; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi

On 01/27/2015 06:55 PM, John Snow wrote:

> On 01/27/2015 07:48 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
>>> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to
>>> collect
>>> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
>>> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>>>
>>> What is GSoC?
>>> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
>>> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
>>> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
>>> funding for one or more students.
>>>

>>> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
>>> need mentors to volunteer.
>>>
>>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>>>
>>> Project ideas
>>> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
>>> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
>>> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
>>> internals can be assumed.
>>>
>> I'm not the most active of contributors, but here's an idea:
>>
>> Project idea: Integrate ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver
>>
>> Currently the ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver are two
>> distinct implementations, and have different bugs/features.
>> This leads to the situation that things which work when using the IDE
>> emulation don't work when using the SCSI emulation and vice versa.
>> So this project is for implementing a virtual ATA-to-SCSI bridge
>> in qemu, use this for emulating an IDE ATAPI drive, and merging the
>> missing features from the IDE implementation into the SCSI one.
>>
>> Skill level: intermediate
>>
>> (This would also help to implement advanced features like NCQ
>> autosense
>> or sense data reporting in the ATA emulation. Just in case someone's
>> daft enough trying to implement a ZAC emulation ...).
>>
>> And yes, I'd be willing to mentor it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hannes
>>

> This would be very cool, and it might help make our admittedly weak
> ATAPI support stronger.
>
> I've asked Paolo before if he thought I should try to merge the
> ATAPI and SCSI code, but he passed on the idea at the time. Might be
> something a GSoC student could take a stab at, though the maze of
> SCSI, IDE and ATAPI specs can be a little difficult to navigate at
> times.

Don't tell me.
However, with IDE largely defunct you only have to concentrate on
T-13 and T-10, which means you have two reasonably well-defined
specs for both sides. Always a good place to start an implementation.

> If a bridge was designed to replace the current ATAPI code entirely,
> it would need to have some inter-operability with the AHCI code,
> which has its own unique quirks that we need to be mindful of.
>
> It might wind up being a bit of a tall order, but it could be good fun.

That's what I thought, too.
Let's see what happens ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		               zSeries & Storage
hare@suse.de			               +49 911 74053 688

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Submit your Google Summer of Code project ideas and volunteer to mentor
@ 2015-02-05 10:05   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-02-05 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de> wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> Dear libvirt, KVM, and QEMU contributors,
>> The Google Summer of Code season begins soon and it's time to collect
>> our thoughts for mentoring students this summer working full-time on
>> libvirt, KVM, and QEMU.
>>
>> What is GSoC?
>> Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC) funds students to
>> work on open source projects for 12 weeks over the summer.  Open
>> source organizations apply to participate and those accepted receive
>> funding for one or more students.
>>

>> We now need to collect a list of project ideas on our wiki.  We also
>> need mentors to volunteer.
>>
>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015
>>
>> Project ideas
>> Please post project ideas on the wiki page below.  Project ideas
>> should be suitable as a 12-week project that a student fluent in
>> C/Python/etc can complete.  No prior knowledge of QEMU/KVM/libvirt
>> internals can be assumed.
>>
> I'm not the most active of contributors, but here's an idea:
>
> Project idea: Integrate ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver
>
> Currently the ide ATAPI and scsi CD-ROM driver are two
> distinct implementations, and have different bugs/features.
> This leads to the situation that things which work when using the IDE
> emulation don't work when using the SCSI emulation and vice versa.
> So this project is for implementing a virtual ATA-to-SCSI bridge
> in qemu, use this for emulating an IDE ATAPI drive, and merging the
> missing features from the IDE implementation into the SCSI one.
>
> Skill level: intermediate
>
> (This would also help to implement advanced features like NCQ autosense
> or sense data reporting in the ATA emulation. Just in case someone's
> daft enough trying to implement a ZAC emulation ...).
>
> And yes, I'd be willing to mentor it.

Thanks, I have added your idea to the wiki.  You and John Snow are
listed as mentors:

http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015#Integrate_IDE_ATAPI_and_SCSI_CD-ROM_emulation

Stefan