* Intelligent global config files setting
@ 2015-10-09  7:38 Gilles CARRY
From: Gilles CARRY @ 2015-10-09  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have a concern regarding global config files to be put into rootfs when several components need to alter a common config file.
Let me explain with an example.
I have two components (recipes) that need to write options into /etc/directfbrc.
Let's call the recipes c1.bb and c2.bb and respectively optc1 and optc2, the options they want to write to /etc/directfbrc.

The fast (and not very clean) way to do it is to centralized all the settings in a single recipe but this is not what I want. For a matter of maintenance, I would like the option settings be attached to their respective components. If c1 is not required (not in dependency list) then optc1 is not set.

I tried to use ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND in c1.bb and c2.bb but this mechanism only seems to work in images recipes. (inherit core-image)
Then I considered using base-file.bbappend in directories where c1 and c2 are stored but this does not work as base-file.bbappend is always read even though c1 or c2 are disabled.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Best regards,
Gilles.

* Re: Intelligent global config files setting
@ 2015-10-09 10:39 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-10-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles CARRY; +Cc: yocto

On 9 October 2015 at 08:38, Gilles CARRY <gilles.carry@st.com> wrote:

> I tried to use ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND in c1.bb and c2.bb but this
> mechanism only seems to work in images recipes. (inherit core-image)

Use a package postinst to modify the configuration files when the rootfs is
generated?

Ross

* Re: Intelligent global config files setting
@ 2015-10-09 12:39   ` Gilles CARRY
From: Gilles CARRY @ 2015-10-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Yes, this looks good.
I was not aware of this postinst mechanism.
Thanks for the answer.