* state of systemd in oe
@ 2013-02-14 14:02 Ian Geiser
From: Ian Geiser @ 2013-02-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hey, I noticed that systemd service files are going back into the oe-core layer and not always compatible with meta-oe.  What is the official policy on systemd right now?  Is it supposed to be confined to the meta-oe/meta-systemd layer?  Or what cases will they be pulled in and/or duplicated in oe-core?  Thanks!

* Re: state of systemd in oe
@ 2013-02-14 15:39 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-02-14 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Geiser; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 14 February 2013 14:02, Ian Geiser <igeiser@devonit.com> wrote:
> Hey, I noticed that systemd service files are going back into the oe-core layer and not always compatible with meta-oe.  What is the official policy on systemd right now?  Is it supposed to be confined to the meta-oe/meta-systemd layer?  Or what cases will they be pulled in and/or duplicated in oe-core?  Thanks!

I'm pulling as much as makes sense into oe-core, and the meta-systemd
maintainers are doing a sterling job at keeping up with changes we've
been making in oe-core, or deleting appends that have been merged into
oe-core.

Hopefully by the time 1.4 is released meta-systemd won't exist.

Ross

* Re: state of systemd in oe
@ 2013-02-14 16:03   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2013-02-14 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Just out of curiosity:
- will systemd be the default?
- will it be possible to still use/choose sysvinit (i.e. is sysvinit
going away)?

How does systemd fit in with busybox? My understanding is that busybox
has its own init system. If someone enables/chooses systemd, does it
disable busybox's init from being built?

* Re: state of systemd in oe
@ 2013-02-14 16:11     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-02-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 14 February 2013 16:03, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity:
> - will systemd be the default?
> - will it be possible to still use/choose sysvinit (i.e. is sysvinit
> going away)?

No and yes.

> How does systemd fit in with busybox? My understanding is that busybox
> has its own init system. If someone enables/chooses systemd, does it
> disable busybox's init from being built?

At the moment busybox's init isn't used - that's one of the many
options for an init system including sysvinit, which is the default.

Ross