* pkg-config does not find "luajit" since upgrade to sumo
@ 2019-03-28 23:44 Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2019-03-28 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I am trying to compile an autotools based in-house project which
compiled as expected on angstrom-v2016.06-yocto2.
It is a rather boring setup where configure.ac checks for luajit using
the following line: "PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LJ], [luajit])".

The bb-file specifies luajit as runtime-dependency as well as inherits
pkgconfig:

RDEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit"
inherit autotools pkgconfig

This all seems to work as intended - when building the project I first
see luajit-2.0.5 being fetched and successfully compiled.

However the project itself fails to build, during configure pkg-config
states it is unable to find luajit.
Exactly the same sources + bb-files worked well with angstrom-v2016.06-yocto2.

Any ideas what could be going wrong here?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

 checking for arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config... no
| checking for pkg-config...
/home/ce/yocto_xposure2019/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xpcompiler/0.1-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/pkg-config
| configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
| checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
| checking for luajit... no
| configure: error: Package requirements (luajit) were not met:
|
| No package 'luajit' found
|
| Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
| installed software in a non-standard prefix.
|
| Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LJ_CFLAGS
| and LJ_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
| See the pkg-config man page for more details.
| NOTE: The following config.log files may provide further information.
| NOTE: /home/ce/yocto_xposure2019/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xpcompiler/0.1-r0/build/config.log

* Re: pkg-config does not find "luajit" since upgrade to sumo
@ 2019-03-28 23:54 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-03-28 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 23:45, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
> The bb-file specifies luajit as runtime-dependency as well as inherits
> pkgconfig:
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit"
> inherit autotools pkgconfig

Considering you're trying to use luajit at build time, it's probably
sensible to have it as a build dependency instead (DEPENDS).

Ross

* Re: pkg-config does not find "luajit" since upgrade to sumo
@ 2019-03-29  0:05   ` Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2019-03-29  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Burton,

> > RDEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit"
> > inherit autotools pkgconfig
>
> Considering you're trying to use luajit at build time, it's probably
> sensible to have it as a build dependency instead (DEPENDS).

I've just tried it without success - it still fails stating luajit can
not be found - despite the fact that "bitbake luajit" seems to work
without any issues.

I am not sure it makes a difference, I additionally use the
meta-altera layer and I am running inside a debian chroot (in the same
environment where the build with angstrom-v2016.06-yocto2 actually
succeeds).

Could it have something to do with pkg-config not beeing prefixed -
like mentioned in the configure log?

Best regard, Clemens

@ 2019-03-29  0:19     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-03-29  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 00:06, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Burton,
>
> > > RDEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit"
> > > inherit autotools pkgconfig
> >
> > Considering you're trying to use luajit at build time, it's probably
> > sensible to have it as a build dependency instead (DEPENDS).
>
> I've just tried it without success - it still fails stating luajit can
> not be found - despite the fact that "bitbake luajit" seems to work
> without any issues.
>
> I am not sure it makes a difference, I additionally use the
> meta-altera layer and I am running inside a debian chroot (in the same
> environment where the build with angstrom-v2016.06-yocto2 actually
> succeeds).
>
> Could it have something to do with pkg-config not beeing prefixed -
> like mentioned in the configure log?
>
> Best regard, Clemens
>
>  checking for arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config... no
> | checking for pkg-config...
> /home/ce/yocto_xposure2019/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xpcompiler/0.1-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/pkg-config
> | configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

Nope.

Check what luajit is shipping and compare that to what the pkgconfig
is looking for.  Calling pkgconfig directly in your recipe's devshell
is useful for this.

Not having luajit in DEPENDS *is* a bug though, having it in RDEPENDS
alone means you've been lucky with task scheduling before.

Ross

* Re: pkg-config does not find "luajit" since upgrade to sumo
@ 2019-03-29  0:54       ` Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2019-03-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross, yocto

Hello Burton,

> Check what luajit is shipping and compare that to what the pkgconfig
> is looking for.  Calling pkgconfig directly in your recipe's devshell
> is useful for this.

Thanks for the hint regarding the devshell.

Indeed, pkgconfig can not find luajit in the devshell - the path
specified as PKG_CONFIG_PATH is:
build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xpcompiler/0.1-r0/recipe-sysroot/usr/lib/pkgconfig
- however the folder pkgconfig does not even exist in there.

Inside work/armv7.../ there is also a luajit directory, and there I
was able to find the pc-file:
/2.0.5-r0/sysroot-destdir/usr/lib/pkgconfig/luajit.pc

So i wonder, are there some extra steps required to make the luajit
sysroot-destdir visible to luajit's recipe-sysroot?

Thanks & br, Clemens

* Re: pkg-config does not find "luajit" since upgrade to sumo
@ 2019-03-29 10:23         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-03-29 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

All I can say is stop digging around random paths and actually ask the
system the questions you need answers to.

- Does my recipe depend on luajit.
Check that you have DEPENDS=luajit.

- What files does luajit ship.
$ oe-pkgdata-util list-pkg-files -p luajit
Does that include a /usr/lib/pkgconfig/luajit.pc?

Ross

@ 2019-03-29 12:48           ` Clemens Eisserer
From: Clemens Eisserer @ 2019-03-29 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Burton,

Indeed, the luajit package contained the luajit.pc file as expected.

The issue was the _$PN appended to DEPENDS, when I removed it the build
succeeded:
changing DEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit" to DEPENDS = "luajit" did the trick.

However, I am still puzzled what happens here and why it worked before.

Br, Clemens

@ 2019-03-29 13:02             ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-03-29 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 12:49, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue was the _$PN appended to DEPENDS, when I removed it the build succeeded:
> changing DEPENDS_${PN} = "luajit" to DEPENDS = "luajit" did the trick.

Right, DEPENDS_${PN} isn't a variable that is used.  You'll most
likely have got a warning from bitbake about that.

> However, I am still puzzled what happens here and why it worked before.

Because in the old days, every recipe shared a global sysroot.  If
luajit was built at some point, it was in the sysroot.  For the last
few releases (almost two years now?) the sysroot is per-recipe, so if
you don't have luajit in DEPENDS then it isn't in the sysroot.

Ross