* Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 11:44 Axel Beierlein
From: Axel Beierlein @ 2012-07-18 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

when i start bitbake core-image-minimal i get the Error
"PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this."

But there is definitly no '' a whitespace or a point in my PATH.

What could be the reason for this Error?

Regards

Axel

* Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 11:55 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-07-18 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Beierlein; +Cc: yocto

On 18 July 2012 12:44, Axel Beierlein <belatronix@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when i start bitbake core-image-minimal i get the Error
> "PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this."
>
> But there is definitly no '' a whitespace or a point in my PATH.

That error could be phrased better...

If you don't have a . element, you probably have an empty element
(which is what the '' is trying to say).  For example:

/usr/bin:/bin::/home/ross/bin

The :: after /bin is bad, and it's this which needs to be removed.
This is normally due to bad concatenation when extending $PATH.

Ross

* Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 11:58   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-07-18 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Beierlein; +Cc: yocto

On 18 July 2012 12:55, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>> when i start bitbake core-image-minimal i get the Error
>> "PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this."

Actually it's probably worth printing out the parsed PATH when this
warning fires to help solve the problem, I've seen a few people hit
this recently and it's not obvious what the problem is sometimes.

Ross

* [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 12:07 ` Axel Beierlein
From: Axel Beierlein @ 2012-07-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

i've solved the Problem.
A few posts ago there was a hint with a trailing : in a PATH Var.
This was my Problem. Deleting the last : an it works!

This hint could be also integrated in the error message.

Regards

Axel

Am 18.07.2012 13:44, schrieb Axel Beierlein:
> Hello,
>
> when i start bitbake core-image-minimal i get the Error
> "PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this."
>
> But there is definitly no '' a whitespace or a point in my PATH.
>
> What could be the reason for this Error?
>
> Regards
>
> Axel

* Re: [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 12:13   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-07-18 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Beierlein; +Cc: yocto

On 18 July 2012 13:07, Axel Beierlein <belatronix@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i've solved the Problem.
> A few posts ago there was a hint with a trailing : in a PATH Var.
> This was my Problem. Deleting the last : an it works!
>
> This hint could be also integrated in the error message.

I'm working on a patch to display the parsed PATH so you'll see the
trailing empty element in that case.

Ross

* Re: [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 13:37     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-07-18 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 18 July 2012 13:13, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a patch to display the parsed PATH so you'll see the
> trailing empty element in that case.

How's this?

$ PATH=$PATH:
$ bitbake core-image-sato
[...]
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the
checker (see sanity.conf).
    Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:
    PATH contains '.' or '' (empty element), which will break the
build, please remove this.
Parsed PATH is ['/home/ross/Yocto/poky/scripts',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/qemux86/usr/bin/crossscripts',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/sbin',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin',
'/data/poky-master/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux//bin',
'/home/ross/Yocto/poky/scripts', '/home/ross/Yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/',
'/home/ross/Yocto/poky/scripts', '/home/ross/Yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/',
'/home/ross/BUILD/bin', '/home/ross/bin', '/usr/local/bin',
'/usr/bin', '/bin', '/usr/local/games', '/usr/games', '']

ERROR: Execution of event handler 'check_sanity_eventhandler' failed
ERROR: Command execution failed: Exited with 1

Ross

* Re: [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 13:46       ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-07-18 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 13:13, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>> I'm working on a patch to display the parsed PATH so you'll see the
>> trailing empty element in that case.
>
> How's this?

It's still slightly hard to spot there. I wonder if something like
this would be easier for the user?

ERROR: Invalid PATH entry at character N: /usr/bin:/bin:

         ^

In other words, formatted like a syntax error.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 13:57         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-07-18 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: yocto

On 18 July 2012 14:46, Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>> On 18 July 2012 13:13, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>>> I'm working on a patch to display the parsed PATH so you'll see the
>>> trailing empty element in that case.
>>
>> How's this?
>
> It's still slightly hard to spot there. I wonder if something like
> this would be easier for the user?
>
> ERROR: Invalid PATH entry at character N: /usr/bin:/bin:

That would be easier for the user, but harder to implement. :)

Ross

* Re: [Solved] Re: Error: PATH contains '.' or '', which will break the build, please remove this.
@ 2012-07-18 14:49           ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-07-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 14:46, Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How's this?
>>
>> It's still slightly hard to spot there. I wonder if something like
>> this would be easier for the user?
>>
>> ERROR: Invalid PATH entry at character N: /usr/bin:/bin:
>
> That would be easier for the user, but harder to implement. :)

It'd be something like https://gist.github.com/3136618, no doubt.

But the problem is the assumption of the length of the prefix, that
is, assumption of the final formatting to the user, which isn't ideal.
What we should do, I think, is teach the UI log formatter to indent
subsequent lines based on its own prefix, so that "foo\nbar" would
show up like this:

ERROR: foo
             bar

Rather than: