* Calibrating touch screen
@ 2013-03-25 13:15 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-03-25 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky Project

I have a target running Poky/Yocto which has a touch screen.
When I try to run the 'xtscal' program, I get this error:
   # xtscal
   XCALIBRATE extension missing: Resource temporarily unavailable

Any ideas what I need to build/install to make this work?

On a related note, my screen is a small LCD which has a native
layout of 320x240.  However, I need to run it in portrait mode
of 240x320.  I have this mostly working using xrandr but now
my old touch screen calibrations no longer work (they were for
the landscape setup).  This is my main reason for getting xtscal
to work.

Thanks

* Re: Calibrating touch screen
@ 2013-03-25 13:34 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-03-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Burton Ross; +Cc: Poky Project

On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 07:15 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I have a target running Poky/Yocto which has a touch screen.
> When I try to run the 'xtscal' program, I get this error:
>    # xtscal
>    XCALIBRATE extension missing: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Any ideas what I need to build/install to make this work?
>
> On a related note, my screen is a small LCD which has a native
> layout of 320x240.  However, I need to run it in portrait mode
> of 240x320.  I have this mostly working using xrandr but now
> my old touch screen calibrations no longer work (they were for
> the landscape setup).  This is my main reason for getting xtscal
> to work.

We have a major problem here. xserver-kdrive was removed and the
xcalibrate extension was dropped from big xorg. We therefore have
nothing with the xcalibrate extension in it, it was replaced by xinput
stuff which we don't have.

Two options are trying ts_calibrate on the commandline if you can get a
portrait console (kernels can support console rotation, I helped get
that merged years ago) or find the xinput-*-calibration program from
meta-oe and use that.

Ross: Any thoughts here? This isn't good coming up to release.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Calibrating touch screen
@ 2013-03-25 13:54   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-03-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Purdie, Richard; +Cc: Poky Project

On 25 March 2013 13:34, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Ross: Any thoughts here? This isn't good coming up to release.

xinput-calibrate is the answer, which is sadly in meta-oe still.  This
needs to be merged.  Last time I looked at this there was on-going
rewriting of it's startup, I'll see if that's integrated so we can
migrate it.

What hardware/touchscreen are you using?

Ross

* Re: Calibrating touch screen
@ 2013-03-25 15:23     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-03-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Poky Project

On 2013-03-25 07:54, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 25 March 2013 13:34, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> Ross: Any thoughts here? This isn't good coming up to release.
>
> xinput-calibrate is the answer, which is sadly in meta-oe still.  This
> needs to be merged.  Last time I looked at this there was on-going
> rewriting of it's startup, I'll see if that's integrated so we can
> migrate it.
>
> What hardware/touchscreen are you using?

Sadly it's proprietary and not public.

Basically OMAP4 (like a Panda) with LCD+touch.

For my case, I found that I could just adjust these things in
the Xorg.conf.  I use this file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-touchscreen.conf
   Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "ADS7846 Touchscreen"
   MatchProduct "ADS7846 Touchscreen"
   MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "SwapAxes" "false"
   Option "InvertX" "false"
   #Option "InvertY" "true"
   Option "Calibration" "102 3768 3590 275"
   EndSection
The calibration values came from xinput-calibrate which I imported for
just this project.  As you say, that should get moved to OE-core.

The code in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xTs_Calibrate.sh seems totally
broken (and is how I came to my original question)

* Re: Calibrating touch screen
@ 2013-03-25 15:29       ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-03-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project

Hi Gary,

On 25 March 2013 15:23, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> What hardware/touchscreen are you using?
>
> Sadly it's proprietary and not public.

I'm not surprised, but glad that xinput-calibrator worked!

> The calibration values came from xinput-calibrate which I imported for
> just this project.  As you say, that should get moved to OE-core.
>
> The code in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xTs_Calibrate.sh seems totally
> broken (and is how I came to my original question)

Yes. :(  I'll clean this up once I've sorted out systemd exploding
into broken bits after I rebased, unless you fancy submitting some
patches...

Ross