* naming .bb files
@ 2013-07-08 15:02 Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-07-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Bug 4193 will allow Hob users to save their customised images into a .bb
file. As part of the saving flow, users will need to give their .bb file a
name, and we need to ensure such names are valid.

There seem to be certain rules regarding .bb files naming, but apparently
those are not written anywhere. Some of those rules seem to be:

* No spaces
* Underscores can only by used to separate name and version
* No ASCII special characters
* No non-ASCII characters
* No uppercase letters

Does anybody know of any others we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Belén

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47

* Re: naming .bb files
@ 2013-07-08 15:37 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-07-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: yocto

On 8 July 2013 16:02, Barros Pena, Belen <belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:
> There seem to be certain rules regarding .bb files naming, but apparently
> those are not written anywhere. Some of those rules seem to be:
>
> * No spaces
> * Underscores can only by used to separate name and version
> * No ASCII special characters
> * No non-ASCII characters
> * No uppercase letters
>
> Does anybody know of any others we should be aware of?

I wasn't aware of any restrictions on uppercase, but the recipe name
part is probably restricted to ASCII alphanumeric (a-z, 0-9) and ASCII
hyphens, then a underscore for the version separator, which is
alphanumeric and periods.

Ross

* Re: naming .bb files
@ 2013-07-09 10:27   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-07-09 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks Ross!

I've tried a .bb file name with capital letters and Hob is not liking it
at all. So it looks like uppercase might also be a problem.

Belen

@ 2013-07-09 10:35     ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2013-07-09 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: yocto

On 9 July 2013 11:27, Barros Pena, Belen <belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ross!
>
> I've tried a .bb file name with capital letters and Hob is not liking it
> at all. So it looks like uppercase might also be a problem.

This is from memory and a month or so back but I think the problem
with capital letters is that opkg rejects .ipk files with capital
letters. I didn't have any problems with it when producing .deb files.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk

* Re: naming .bb files
@ 2013-07-09 13:45       ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-07-09 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 09/07/2013 11:35, "Paul Barker" <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:

>On 9 July 2013 11:27, Barros Pena, Belen <belen.barros.pena@intel.com>
>wrote:
>> Thanks Ross!
>>
>> I've tried a .bb file name with capital letters and Hob is not liking it
>> at all. So it looks like uppercase might also be a problem.
>>

>This is from memory and a month or so back but I think the problem
>with capital letters is that opkg rejects .ipk files with capital
>letters. I didn't have any problems with it when producing .deb files.

It sounds like the safe thing for Hob to do is to reject uppercase letters
in .bb file names (just in case).

Thanks!

@ 2013-07-09 13:47         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2013-07-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: yocto

On Jul 9, 2013, at 6:45 AM, "Barros Pena, Belen" <belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:

> On 09/07/2013 11:35, "Paul Barker" <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 9 July 2013 11:27, Barros Pena, Belen <belen.barros.pena@intel.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Thanks Ross!
>>>
>>> I've tried a .bb file name with capital letters and Hob is not liking it
>>> at all. So it looks like uppercase might also be a problem.
>>>

>> This is from memory and a month or so back but I think the problem
>> with capital letters is that opkg rejects .ipk files with capital
>> letters. I didn't have any problems with it when producing .deb files.
>
> It sounds like the safe thing for Hob to do is to reject uppercase letters
> in .bb file names (just in case).

not only names but also in PR string if it has letters in it.

> Thanks!
>

>> --
>> Paul Barker
>>
>> Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
>> http://www.paulbarker.me.uk

> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
> VAT No: 860 2173 47

* Re: naming .bb files
@ 2013-07-09 15:19           ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-07-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 09/07/2013 14:47, "Khem Raj" <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 9, 2013, at 6:45 AM, "Barros Pena, Belen"
><belen.barros.pena@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/2013 11:35, "Paul Barker" <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:

>>> This is from memory and a month or so back but I think the problem
>>> with capital letters is that opkg rejects .ipk files with capital
>>> letters. I didn't have any problems with it when producing .deb files.
>>
>> It sounds like the safe thing for Hob to do is to reject uppercase
>>letters
>> in .bb file names (just in case).
>
>not only names but also in PR string if it has letters in it.

Noted, thanks!