* Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28  9:17 Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Hello YOCTO people,

I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
some number of proprietary repos over github.

As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):

After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:

[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
/home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'thud'
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
Switched to branch 'sumo'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
[user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$

The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
guidelines in some way. :-)

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28  9:52 ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2018-11-28  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto Project

Hi Zoran,

On 28/11/18 10:17, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Hello YOCTO people,
>
> I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
> layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
> with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
> repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
> some number of proprietary repos over github.
>
> As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
> https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
> happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):
>
> After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
> being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:
>
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
> /home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.

I understand, but why is this an issue in Yocto project ? The maintainer
does not use tags and git describe is fast useless.

You should contact layer's maintainer and ask for that. Anyway, outside
poky, tags are quite unused in layers.

> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
> Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
> Switched to a new branch 'thud'
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
> Switched to branch 'sumo'
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$
>
> The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
> should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
> other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
> guidelines in some way. :-)

It is clear that a tool to maintain the layers in sync is required, but
it is quite independent how the layers (and many are proprietary layers)
are built. So you can use "repo" or "kas" (my preferred one) for that.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 11:00   ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic, Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hello Stefano,

I am (almost) perfectly aligned with kernel.org, and I (personally)
decided to use git. Since I start understanding importance of Linus.
Linux officers and their Linux philosophy.

Now... Answers to your email. KAS (Siemens developed tool by Jan
Kiszka and his crew) is the supplement for the fast/quick building the
YOCTO, to use ONLY rootfs. NOT kernel. NOT aligned with the git tool.
Not applicable for purposes as git.

On the other note, repo is GOOGLE tool. Promoted by them. Most of the
ARM followers (such as Toradex) use repo tool.

You say: I talk to the wrong crew. I think opposite. I am giving the
generic message via YOCTO email list, to avoid hundreds of particular
emails, so we can unify the effort. Which is not minor. Rather
opposite: major.

Since, I guess, this is of the major importance. For YOCTO survival.
The direction is one: git tool. For all YOCTO developers. IMHO.

Stefano,

You, as major official representative of U-Boot philosophy (and
Wolfgang's Denk right hand), do not take sides, rather ad-hoc
approach. For you, this topic is not important. Appreciated your help.

I am asking here for much higher awareness. YOCTO better survival in The Future.

Thank you,
Zoran
_______
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> Hi Zoran,
>
> On 28/11/18 10:17, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> > Hello YOCTO people,
> >
> > I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
> > layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
> > with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
> > repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
> > some number of proprietary repos over github.
> >
> > As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
> > https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
> > happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):
> >
> > After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
> > being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:
> >
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
> > /home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> > fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
>
> I understand, but why is this an issue in Yocto project ? The maintainer
> does not use tags and git describe is fast useless.
>
> You should contact layer's maintainer and ask for that. Anyway, outside
> poky, tags are quite unused in layers.
>
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
> > Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
> > Switched to a new branch 'thud'
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
> > Switched to branch 'sumo'
> > Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> > fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$
> >
> > The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
> > should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
> > other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
> > guidelines in some way. :-)
>
> It is clear that a tool to maintain the layers in sync is required, but
> it is quite independent how the layers (and many are proprietary layers)
> are built. So you can use "repo" or "kas" (my preferred one) for that.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefano Babic

> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
> Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 11:07     ` Burton, Ross
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-11-28 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Personally I don't see why there needs to be One Blessed Tool to
manage keeping repositories in sync.  There's lots of alternatives,
none of them is obviously superior to the others, and none of them
have any requirements on the repositories that they're managing.

If you want a repository management tool, then pick one and use it.

Ross

@ 2018-11-28 11:22       ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

Again, I see git as superior tool. But I can speak only in my
name/this is only me.

Since with git I can do almost whatever with kernel.org (and
derivatives, all known distros) git... Very opposite to YOCTO. And I
like git, It is VERY powerful. Maybe I finally started to understand
the tool.

AS opposite, YOCTO can choose whatever they want. But I do not think
particular strategies and freedom of some choice will lead YOCTO
anywhere. Moslty referring to proprietary github YOCTO repos, in the
first place. IMHO!

Zoran

@ 2018-11-28 11:25     ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2018-11-28 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

Hello Zoran,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:00:22PM +0100, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> I am (almost) perfectly aligned with kernel.org, and I (personally)
> decided to use git. Since I start understanding importance of Linus.
> Linux officers and their Linux philosophy.

You are free to choose your workflow as you please.

> Now... Answers to your email. KAS (Siemens developed tool by Jan
> Kiszka and his crew) is the supplement for the fast/quick building the
> YOCTO, to use ONLY rootfs. NOT kernel. NOT aligned with the git tool.
> Not applicable for purposes as git.

It is a tool that serves one purpose. It does that job well.

> On the other note, repo is GOOGLE tool. Promoted by them. Most of the
> ARM followers (such as Toradex) use repo tool.

Thats what they choose.

> You say: I talk to the wrong crew. I think opposite. I am giving the
> generic message via YOCTO email list, to avoid hundreds of particular
> emails, so we can unify the effort. Which is not minor. Rather
> opposite: major.
>
> Since, I guess, this is of the major importance. For YOCTO survival.
> The direction is one: git tool. For all YOCTO developers. IMHO.

This is what your opinion is. Which seems to be vastly overestimating
its own importance.

> Stefano,
>
> You, as major official representative of U-Boot philosophy (and
> Wolfgang's Denk right hand), do not take sides, rather ad-hoc
> approach. For you, this topic is not important. Appreciated your help.

By now, you are telling other people who have been doing thwir work
successfully for decades how to do their jobs.
Actually, telling off one of the core contributors and community members
with "This is not for you" is plain rude.

> I am asking here for much higher awareness. YOCTO better survival in The Future.

We are doing quite well at the moment, thank you.

So if you have a proposal on how to improve things, feel free to share
it. Go ahead and lead on how to use that proposal by doing your own
upstream work, showing how emplying your proposal makes it better and
more usable.

Just getting onto a mailing list and saying "You're doing it wrong
because it doesn't suit my workflow", again, is quite rude.

Greetz.

PS: yes, this mail is explicitly meant to support Stefano.

> Thank you,
> Zoran
> _______
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Zoran,
> >
> > On 28/11/18 10:17, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> > > Hello YOCTO people,
> > >
> > > I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
> > > layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
> > > with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
> > > repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
> > > some number of proprietary repos over github.
> > >
> > > As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
> > > https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
> > > happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):
> > >
> > > After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
> > > being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:
> > >
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
> > > /home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> > > fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> >
> > I understand, but why is this an issue in Yocto project ? The maintainer
> > does not use tags and git describe is fast useless.
> >
> > You should contact layer's maintainer and ask for that. Anyway, outside
> > poky, tags are quite unused in layers.
> >
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
> > > Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
> > > Switched to a new branch 'thud'
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
> > > Switched to branch 'sumo'
> > > Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> > > fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> > > [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$
> > >
> > > The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
> > > should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
> > > other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
> > > guidelines in some way. :-)
> >
> > It is clear that a tool to maintain the layers in sync is required, but
> > it is quite independent how the layers (and many are proprietary layers)
> > are built. So you can use "repo" or "kas" (my preferred one) for that.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Stefano Babic
> >
> > --

———————————————
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
———————————————
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363

@ 2018-11-28 11:27         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-11-28 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 11:22, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since with git I can do almost whatever with kernel.org (and
> derivatives, all known distros) git... Very opposite to YOCTO. And I
> like git, It is VERY powerful. Maybe I finally started to understand
> the tool.

What can you not do with Yocto's git repositories?

Ross

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 11:42     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2018-11-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic, Stefano Babic, Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hi Zoran,

On 28/11/18 12:00, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Hello Stefano,
>
> I am (almost) perfectly aligned with kernel.org, and I (personally)
> decided to use git. Since I start understanding importance of Linus.
> Linux officers and their Linux philosophy.

Each tool is thought to solve a specific issue. git is a configuration
management tool, and yes, it is a great tool.

> Now... Answers to your email. KAS (Siemens developed tool by Jan
> Kiszka and his crew) is the supplement for the fast/quick building the
> YOCTO, to use ONLY rootfs.

It is a support to synchronize layers and to support bitbake.

> NOT kernel. NOT aligned with the git tool.
> Not applicable for purposes as git.

Each project has its own configuration management, nowadays mostly git.
But OE can use git / mercury / subversion. Your initial question is
quite a complain why tags are not used in OE, and git describe does not
work. Nevertheless, because layers are not part as a single big repo,
you need some way to sync the layers. kas is one of these tools.

> On the other note, repo is GOOGLE tool. Promoted by them. Most of the
> ARM followers (such as Toradex) use repo tool.

There are people happy working with repo. Everybody chooses the tool
more suitable for own needs.

> You say: I talk to the wrong crew. I think opposite. I am giving the
> generic message via YOCTO email list, to avoid hundreds of particular
> emails, so we can unify the effort. Which is not minor. Rather
> opposite: major.
>
> Since, I guess, this is of the major importance. For YOCTO survival.
> The direction is one: git tool. For all YOCTO developers. IMHO.
>
> Stefano,
>
> You, as major official representative of U-Boot philosophy (and
> Wolfgang's Denk right hand),

You're now completely off topic.

> [...]

>>> should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
>>> other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
>>> guidelines in some way. :-)
>>
>> It is clear that a tool to maintain the layers in sync is required, but
>> it is quite independent how the layers (and many are proprietary layers)
>> are built. So you can use "repo" or "kas" (my preferred one) for that.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stefano Babic
>>
>> --
>> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
>> HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
>> Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-28 12:18     ` Enrico Scholz
From: Enrico Scholz @ 2018-11-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Zoran Stojsavljevic <zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> writes:

> On the other note, repo is GOOGLE tool. Promoted by them. Most of the
> ARM followers (such as Toradex) use repo tool.

fwiw, I suggest to use just the plain 'git submodule'.  It works perfectly
to build a BSP and uses a native git workflow.  E.g. look at

             https://gitlab.com/ensc-groups/bpi-router/BSP

A plain 'git clone --recursive' will download the complete BSP and you
can use 'git remote update --remote' to synchronize layers.

Google 'repo' is crap and adds only a very small value (better mirroring
and 'repo grep') compared to submodules.

Enrico

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 12:42           ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

> What can you not do with Yocto's git repositories?

Please, refer to my initial email. Not referring to Poky, I guess, the
Poky repo is equivalent to kernel.org. In other words, everything with
it can be done with git tool.

I am referring to many others, associated with github. Maybe it is
ONLY github, which does not support git tool in full extend.

So, as I said/wrote in the initial email. The concrete meta-bbb does
not support git tag, git describe.

Once I have no tags, I could not do anything with git log. And... You
can imagine.

Sorry for creating waves. No intent to offend anybody. Just a (strong) thought.

I guess, github has some significant problems supporting completely
git tool. Since I see that gitlab does support it (after reading, I
assume this is done for gitlab in full extend).

Peace!

Best Regards,
Zoran
_______

@ 2018-11-28 12:51             ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-11-28 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 12:42, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What can you not do with Yocto's git repositories?
>
> Please, refer to my initial email. Not referring to Poky, I guess, the
> Poky repo is equivalent to kernel.org. In other words, everything with
> it can be done with git tool.
>
> I am referring to many others, associated with github. Maybe it is
> ONLY github, which does not support git tool in full extend.
>
> So, as I said/wrote in the initial email. The concrete meta-bbb does
> not support git tag, git describe.
>
> Once I have no tags, I could not do anything with git log. And... You
> can imagine.

Why does the lack of tags mean you can't do anything with git log?

Tags are simply a way of naming arbitrary commits, typically "This is
version 1.0".  If a repository doesn't make releases then it doesn't
need to use tags.  This isn't a problem.

Ross

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 12:52             ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2018-11-28 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: jan.kiszka, Yocto list discussion

hey,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What can you not do with Yocto's git repositories?
>
> Please, refer to my initial email. Not referring to Poky, I guess, the
> Poky repo is equivalent to kernel.org. In other words, everything with
> it can be done with git tool.
>
> I am referring to many others, associated with github. Maybe it is
> ONLY github, which does not support git tool in full extend.

as others said before, meta-bbb is a proper git tree. and for obvious
reasons, github is definitely a decent git service provider.

> So, as I said/wrote in the initial email. The concrete meta-bbb does
> not support git tag, git describe.

The problem you are seeing is that no git tag have been pushed to
meta-bbb, but that doesn't make meta-bbb an invalid git repo, or an
invalid OpenEmbedded layer. What we expect from OE layer is to provide
branches which track the oe-core repo (e.g. master, thud, sumo, ...),
but there is no requirement for tags.

> Once I have no tags, I could not do anything with git log. And... You
> can imagine.

Actually, no, I do not imagine. git log will work, with or without
tags. Git log will go through the history of commits, and it doesn't
need tag. Git tags are optional references that can be "attached" to
commits.

> Sorry for creating waves. No intent to offend anybody. Just a (strong) thought.
>
> I guess, github has some significant problems supporting completely
> git tool. Since I see that gitlab does support it (after reading, I
> assume this is done for gitlab in full extend).

This is not correct. I hope the clarifications above would be helpful.
github definitely supports git very well, so does gitlab.

@ 2018-11-28 12:53       ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

> This is what your opinion is. Which seems to be vastly overestimating its own importance.

I do not think you understood what I am trying to advertise. The
unification. In other words:
If I use kernel.org, I use git tool.
If I use YOCTO Poky, I would like to use git tool.
For all YOCTO repos, I would like to use git tool.

Not repo, kas, or other tools. Not particular tools, assigned to
particular tasks, for particular build systems.

Since I would like to invest time and effort in ONLY one,
comprehensive tool, and discard all other tools which are not up to
the complex challenges I have. So this is why I sent initial email, in
first place,

Thank you,
Zoran
_______

@ 2018-11-28 12:56         ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

OK, I rest my case. Seems, that I am the only one here using git
describe, and git log using tags.

Could be. ;-)

Thank you all,
Zoran
_______
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic

@ 2018-11-28 13:11         ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2018-11-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: jan.kiszka, Yocto list discussion

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This is what your opinion is. Which seems to be vastly overestimating its own importance.
>
> I do not think you understood what I am trying to advertise. The
> unification. In other words:
> If I use kernel.org, I use git tool.
> If I use YOCTO Poky, I would like to use git tool.
> For all YOCTO repos, I would like to use git tool.

You mean OpenEmbedded Layers, not Yocto repo here. I think 99.9%
(maybe 100%) of the public OE layers are available as git repo. So you
can (in fact you have to) use git for any OE layer.

> Not repo, kas, or other tools. Not particular tools, assigned to
> particular tasks, for particular build systems.

I think you are confused. There are hundreds of OE layers out there,
maintained by developers, companies, communities, ... Poky is a
reference implementation maintained by the Yocto Project. Building a
custom Linux distro using Yocto Project means that you need to pull a
certain amount of layers based on what you are doing. Most of the time
each of these layers are hosted in their own *git* tree. For Poky we
create a *new* git tree that results of the "merge" of all the
dependent layers. However the OE core is maintained in their own tree
and  bitbake as well.

the tools you mentioned here, like repo, kas, .. are not equivalent to
git. they are helpers, wrappers, tools that can be use to combine many
individual git repo to form a single workspace, so that you have all
the layers you need in a single workspace to build your own custom
distro.

The Yocto Project does not recommend any specific tool to create such
workspace, and people are using various solutions. There are on-going
discussions in YP/OE to pick one tool and promote it, but no
conclusion so far.

But again this is very different from the initial problem you are
reporting, which is just a misunderstanding of git tags and commits.

@ 2018-11-28 18:00           ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicolas.dechesne; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, Yocto Project

> But again this is very different from the initial problem you are
> reporting, which is just a misunderstanding of git tags and commits.

Nicolas,

Your problem is that you are too emotional. Period. I clearly
explained what my problem is. For some YOCTO github repos, certain git
commands DO NOT work. Nothing I did misunderstand, you just do not
read my emails enough carefully. If you go back on on my initial
email, and try it yourself, you'll see that there are commands which
are not working. Such as git describe, or git tag.

Here is the description of git tag commands. For you to learn (please,
read it carefully and exercise on the given example):
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/inspecting-a-repository/git-tag

Before writing nonconclusive accusations, please, check what I am
writing above, on my initial email. Maybe I am doing something wrong,
but I do not think so. For me, kernel.org tree perfectly works, and it
is perfectly aligned with git commands and .git directory.

With ALL git commands I am using.

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic
_______

@ 2018-11-28 18:21             ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2018-11-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: J. Kiszka, Yocto list discussion

hey Zoran!

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> > But again this is very different from the initial problem you are
> > reporting, which is just a misunderstanding of git tags and commits.
>
> Nicolas,
>
> Your problem is that you are too emotional. Period. I clearly

First, I don't think I have a problem on this specific topic. And then
I am pretty sure I am not emotional. I have only raised technical
details/answers in my message. There was no emotion, it was just
facts.

> explained what my problem is. For some YOCTO github repos, certain git
> commands DO NOT work. Nothing I did misunderstand, you just do not
> read my emails enough carefully. If you go back on on my initial
> email, and try it yourself, you'll see that there are commands which
> are not working. Such as git describe, or git tag.

Myself and a few others have tried to explain that these commands work
perfectly well actually, unlike what you think. When running "git tag"
on a repo that does not have any tag, it just doesn't return anything,
so what you are seeing is the proper behavior. Same thing with "git
describe". So the problem with the repo you have mentioned is that
there is no tag published. That's it. Nothing wrong with git, or
github, or Yocto.

> Here is the description of git tag commands. For you to learn (please,
> read it carefully and exercise on the given example):
> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/inspecting-a-repository/git-tag
>
> Before writing nonconclusive accusations, please, check what I am

I am sorry if you thought it was accusation. It was , for me, a
technical discussion. And I was trying to bring a few clarifications.

> writing above, on my initial email. Maybe I am doing something wrong,
> but I do not think so. For me, kernel.org tree perfectly works, and it
> is perfectly aligned with git commands and .git directory.

No, you are not doing anything wrong.

@ 2018-11-28 18:36 ` Beth Flanagan
From: Beth Flanagan @ 2018-11-28 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zoran.stojsavljevic; +Cc: Yocto

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 9:18 AM Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello YOCTO people,
>
> I would like to use standard git tool while using all the Yocto
> layers. NOT only Poky repository (which, I believe, works all the way
> with git tools), but as much as possible with other github proprietary
> repos and layers. Since I am not able to execute git commands using
> some number of proprietary repos over github.
>
> As example, I'll use meta-bbb repository.
> https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-bbb.git, after cloning the following
> happens (chosen, since it has at least dozen of branches):
>
> After cloning, I did not get anything from the following commands,
> being in the root of the meta-bbb repo, namely:
>
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ pwd
> /home/user/projects2/beaglebone-black/yocto-master/meta-bbb
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git tag
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout thud
> Branch 'thud' set up to track remote branch 'thud' from 'origin'.
> Switched to a new branch 'thud'
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git checkout sumo
> Switched to branch 'sumo'
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/sumo'.
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$ git describe
> fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
> [user@fedora28-ssd meta-bbb]$
>
> The rationale behind this request: git is the powerful tool which
> should work and be solely used for YOCTO layers' synchronization. In
> other words, YOCTO should give some tools' (namely git) unification
> guidelines in some way. :-)

Zoran,

This is normal behaviour for git repositories with no tags. Git
describe just describes the latest annotated tag and if there is none,
then it of course, can't describe anything. Generally, this is up to
the repo maintainer to define tagging policy (I think all we do in
OE/YP is ask for named release branches).  So this isn't something
that is "broken" it's just not asked of layer maintainers. I'm not
sure why you need git describe in your workflow, but you could easily
write something that reverts to something like `git shortlog -1` or
something on repos that return fatal on a git describe.

I'm not sure what the request is here. To ask all the repository
maintainers to add tags so you don't return a fatal on git describe?

-b

* Re: Git tool/command problems with YOCTO Open Source repos
@ 2018-11-28 19:45   ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2018-11-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pidge; +Cc: Yocto Project

> I'm not sure what the request is here. To ask all the repository
> maintainers *to add tags* so you don't return a fatal on git describe?

Not quite. To add tags, yes, NOT for git describe (it is just a test).
Rather for git log (using tags).

Thank you,
Zoran
_______