* proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 12:58 Alexander Kanavin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2016-01-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hello,

DirectFB upstream project has been dead for several months, the website
has completely disappeared, and no explanation or apology has ever
surfaced. [1]

So let's keep DirectFB in the forthcoming release, but drop it early in
the next release cycle.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone

Alex

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 13:04 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-01-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> DirectFB upstream project has been dead for several months, the website has
> completely disappeared, and no explanation or apology has ever surfaced. [1]
>
> So let's keep DirectFB in the forthcoming release, but drop it early in the
> next release cycle.
>
> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone

I would be in favor of dropping it for 2.1 release.

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 15:38 ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2016-01-22 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 22.01.2016 13:58, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> DirectFB upstream project has been dead for several months, the website
> has completely disappeared, and no explanation or apology has ever
> surfaced. [1]
>
> So let's keep DirectFB in the forthcoming release, but drop it early in
> the next release cycle.
>
> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone

FWIW, https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB is the new location of the
upstream repository. I see that you opened an issue there, so you're
already aware. The last commit is from October 2015.

I guess many other projects in OE-Corew have seen much less activity. So
what's the real reason for this proposal? Failing update scripts?

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 16:12   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-01-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oberritter; +Cc: OE-core

On 22 January 2016 at 15:38, Andreas Oberritter <obi@opendreambox.org>
wrote:

> FWIW, https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB is the new location of the
> upstream repository. I see that you opened an issue there, so you're
> already aware. The last commit is from October 2015.

I guess the thing missing is an indication that the repo on github is
official and maintained.  Specifically the deniskropp repo has been
recently touched but you have to admit that
https://github.com/DirectFB/directfb looks more official.

Ross

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 18:06     ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2016-01-22 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: OE-core

On 22.01.2016 17:12, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 22 January 2016 at 15:38, Andreas Oberritter <obi@opendreambox.org
> <mailto:obi@opendreambox.org>> wrote:
>
>     FWIW, https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB is the new location of the
>     upstream repository. I see that you opened an issue there, so you're
>     already aware. The last commit is from October 2015.
>

> I guess the thing missing is an indication that the repo on github is
> official and maintained.  Specifically the deniskropp repo has been
> recently touched but you have to admit
> that https://github.com/DirectFB/directfb looks more official.

Denis Oliver Kropp is the main developer of DirectFB and the description
of https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB says "Official DirectFB GitHub
Repository".

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 18:12       ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-01-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oberritter; +Cc: OE-core

On 22 January 2016 at 18:06, Andreas Oberritter <obi@opendreambox.org>
wrote:

> Denis Oliver Kropp is the main developer of DirectFB and the description
> of https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB says "Official DirectFB GitHub
> Repository".

The owner being the main developer is good, thanks.

Ross

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 18:47 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-01-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 4:58 AM, Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> DirectFB upstream project has been dead for several months, the website has completely disappeared, and no explanation or apology has ever surfaced. [1]
>
> So let's keep DirectFB in the forthcoming release, but drop it early in the next release cycle.
>
> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone

There is another followup from phoenix. Here

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-On-GitHub

github repo is here

https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB/commits/master

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-01-22 18:49         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-01-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: OE-core

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 11:10 AM, alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com wrote:
>
>>> I guess the thing missing is an indication that the repo on github is
>>> official and maintained.  Specifically the deniskropp repo has been
>>> recently touched but you have to admit
>>> that https://github.com/DirectFB/directfb looks more official.
>>
>> Denis Oliver Kropp is the main developer of DirectFB and the description
>> of https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB says "Official DirectFB GitHub
>> Repository".
>
> Why did he make a new account on github then? Commits to the old directfb
> repo were done from a different account (https://github.com/dfbdok). Also,
> there has been no activity whatsoever since October, and no announcement
> anywhere, and no response to my request or the other open issue in that
> repo. I wouldn't trust that directfb is still alive; we need to wait and
> see.
>
> To me, it looks likely that the funding was cut, Denis Kropp has tried to
> keep the project alive but then just abandoned it.

Lets just wait and point our recipes to new github repo,
There are users of directfb in OE,moreover October 2015 wasn’t long
ago. Its too early to consider it dead.

@ 2016-01-22 19:10       ` alexander.kanavin
From: alexander.kanavin @ 2016-01-22 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oberritter; +Cc: OE-core

@ 2016-02-01 10:21           ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-01 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: OE-core

On 22 January 2016 at 18:49, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lets just wait and point our recipes to new github repo,

If you can find the sha corresponding to the directfb-1.7.7 tarball then
we'll certainly update the SRC_URI, separately from the "should it be
removed from oe-core" discussion.

(https://github.com/deniskropp/DirectFB/issues/2, the bulk of the 1.7
branch and tags are missing)

Ross

* Re: proposal: remove DirectFB from oe-core in the next release cycle
@ 2016-02-01 19:13             ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2016-02-01 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: OE-core

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 2:21 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:

> On 22 January 2016 at 18:49, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Lets just wait and point our recipes to new github repo,
>
> If you can find the sha corresponding to the directfb-1.7.7 tarball then
> we'll certainly update the SRC_URI, separately from the "should it be
> removed from oe-core" discussion.

Note that building DirectFB directly from git sources adds an extra
dependency on the 'flux' tool, for which there's no recipe in oe-core
right now.

  https://github.com/deniskropp/flux

@ 2016-02-01 20:54               ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-01 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)