* what is the working directory for configure/compile/install tasks?
@ 2017-01-27 12:44 Robert P. J. Day
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-01-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

  this is such a simple question, i'm kind of embarrassed to be asking
it.

  i've been handed a simple example of Makefile-based source to turn
into a recipe, and the configure/build process is absolutely
straightforward -- top-level "configure" and "Makefile" files to be
run -- to the point where i can simply define my own do_configure(),
do_compile(), etc. tasks.

  i'm aware that most tasks are defined in terms of commands that
explicitly use directory references with "S", "B", "D", WORKDIR, and
so on and so on. but if i want to define a do_configure() task that
does nothing more than invokes the top-level "configure" script, how
would i refer to it?

  i'm reading the YP dev manual, and it'a just a bit vague on this
topic, unless i managed to miss it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: what is the working directory for configure/compile/install tasks?
@ 2017-01-27 13:07 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-01-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 01/27/2017 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i've been handed a simple example of Makefile-based source to turn
> into a recipe, and the configure/build process is absolutely
> straightforward -- top-level "configure" and "Makefile" files to be
> run -- to the point where i can simply define my own do_configure(),
> do_compile(), etc. tasks.

It's not entirely clear, but is the source GNU autotools based? Can you
provide a link to it, so we can see what configure actually does?

Alex

* Re: what is the working directory for configure/compile/install tasks?
@ 2017-01-27 13:07 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-01-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 January 2017 at 12:44, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   i've been handed a simple example of Makefile-based source to turn
> into a recipe, and the configure/build process is absolutely
> straightforward -- top-level "configure" and "Makefile" files to be
> run -- to the point where i can simply define my own do_configure(),
> do_compile(), etc. tasks.

$ git grep \\[dirs\\] meta/classes/base.bbclass
meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_fetch[dirs] = "${DL_DIR}"
meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_unpack[dirs] = "${WORKDIR}"
meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_configure[dirs] = "${B}"
meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_compile[dirs] = "${B}"
meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_install[dirs] = "${B}"

Ross

* Re: what is the working directory for configure/compile/install tasks?
@ 2017-01-27 13:43   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-01-27 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 27 January 2017 at 12:44, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>         i've been handed a simple example of Makefile-based source to turn
>       into a recipe, and the configure/build process is absolutely
>       straightforward -- top-level "configure" and "Makefile" files to be
>       run -- to the point where i can simply define my own do_configure(),
>       do_compile(), etc. tasks.
>

> $ git grep \\[dirs\\] meta/classes/base.bbclass
> meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_fetch[dirs] = "${DL_DIR}"
> meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_unpack[dirs] = "${WORKDIR}"
> meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_configure[dirs] = "${B}"
> meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_compile[dirs] = "${B}"
> meta/classes/base.bbclass:do_install[dirs] = "${B}"

  *sigh* ... i really should have known that.

@ 2017-01-27 17:45 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-01-27 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

>   i'm aware that most tasks are defined in terms of commands that
> explicitly use directory references with "S", "B", "D", WORKDIR, and
> so on and so on. but if i want to define a do_configure() task that
> does nothing more than invokes the top-level "configure" script, how
> would i refer to it?

do_configure () {
	${S}/configure
}