* [diamon-discuss] Next meeting: Android Tracing, Friday December 2nd, 1PM EST (6PM UTC)
@ 2016-11-23 17:28 Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-11-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diamon-discuss; +Cc: Joel Fernandes, Fabien Sanglard

Hi,

The next Diamon meeting will be presented by Joel Fernandes and Fabien
Sanglard from Google, and it will be about Android tracing.

Abstract:
"systrace is the defacto android tool currently used to trace and
monitor android applications, kernel and system behavior. It is based
on ftrace events and trace markers. This talk is a brief introduction
to systrace features, some usecases for tracing that are required
along with systrace screenshots and discuss some of the challenges
other tools may face with integrating with Android."

Details to join the conference:
https://www.uberconference.com/diamon
Phone: 716-293-7271
Pin: 37262

See you next week !

Julien

* Re: [diamon-discuss] Next meeting: Android Tracing, Friday December 2nd, 1PM EST (6PM UTC)
@ 2016-11-23 20:08 ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-11-23 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diamon-discuss; +Cc: Joel Fernandes, Fabien Sanglard

On 2016-11-23 12:28 PM, Julien Desfossez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The next Diamon meeting will be presented by Joel Fernandes and Fabien
> Sanglard from Google, and it will be about Android tracing.
>
> Abstract:
> "systrace is the defacto android tool currently used to trace and
> monitor android applications, kernel and system behavior. It is based
> on ftrace events and trace markers. This talk is a brief introduction
> to systrace features, some usecases for tracing that are required
> along with systrace screenshots and discuss some of the challenges
> other tools may face with integrating with Android."
>
> Details to join the conference:
> https://www.uberconference.com/diamon
> Phone: 716-293-7271
> Pin: 37262

Also, here is the list of international phone numbers:
https://www.uberconference.com/international

@ 2016-12-01 17:29   ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-12-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diamon-discuss; +Cc: Joel Fernandes, Fabien Sanglard

Update for tomorrow, the details to join the conference have changed:
https://www.uberconference.com/diamon
Phone: 514-405-5695
No pin required.

International phone numbers:
https://www.uberconference.com/international

If you are using an international phone number, the code to join the
conference is 514-405-5695.

See you tomorrow !

Julien

@ 2016-12-01 21:32     ` Joel Fernandes
From: Joel Fernandes @ 2016-12-01 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez; +Cc: diamon-discuss, Fabien Sanglard

Hi Julien,

Fabien would like to show a demo (or a couple of demos) to show off systrace.

Can we use Google hangouts instead since he can then screenshare?
Here's the link:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/yfvjwjok2zdhzkq6zqgtoecmz4e

Based on your earlier email, we will join the hangout session at 10AM
PST (1PM EST).

Regards,
Joel

@ 2016-12-01 21:39       ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-12-01 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Fernandes; +Cc: diamon-discuss, Fabien Sanglard

Hi,

Uberconference works well to share the screen, you just have to install
the plugin for Chrome.

The advantage of this setup is that we have a business account so we can
have up to 100 people watching (and eventually asking questions), and we
can record the feed.

Can you try it (it is open right now) and let me know if it works ?
If there is a problem, we will switch to Hangout.

Thanks,

Julien

@ 2016-12-02  1:51         ` Joel Fernandes
From: Joel Fernandes @ 2016-12-02  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez; +Cc: diamon-discuss, Fabien Sanglard

I tested Screen sharing and its working for me, we can use this.
Fabien, could you try it out too? thanks.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Julien Desfossez

@ 2016-12-02  3:28           ` Fabien Sanglard
From: Fabien Sanglard @ 2016-12-02  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Fernandes; +Cc: diamon-discuss

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

@ 2016-12-02 19:44             ` Julien Desfossez
From: Julien Desfossez @ 2016-12-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabien Sanglard, Joel Fernandes; +Cc: diamon-discuss

Thank you Fabien and Joel, it was a really interesting presentation !

It is always nice to have demos of real use-cases and how diagnostic and
monitoring tools are used by people that actually use them (vs develop
them).

If anybody on this mailing-list have related topics they would like to
discuss (or if you know people that would have interesting things to
present in this format), please let us know and we will schedule a meeting.

See you in two weeks for the glibc tracing.

Thanks,

Julien

@ 2016-12-02 20:54               ` Joel Fernandes
From: Joel Fernandes @ 2016-12-02 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Desfossez; +Cc: diamon-discuss, Fabien Sanglard

Hi,

Thanks Julien and Mathieu. Thanks Fabien for the nice demo.

Some notes I took from the meeting, feel free to add or correct
anything I missed:

* lttng-analyses
 - enable tracing and do an analysis to see how system behaves - can
be used in automation
 - can cope with long traces
 - finds problems and shows high-level issues without having to go into details
 - Brendan Gregg's tools do similar high-level analysis to find problems.

* lttng-ust: currently integrated with JAVA loggers which sends to JNI
interface the events, makes it possible to use with Android

* lttng kernel code can be copied into AOSP kernel tree if it is to be
integrated.

* latency-tracker can do off-CPU analysis and stacktrace dumps to show
where blocking happens in code.
  Development of lttng-analyses yet to be done for a feature like this

* Mutex lock contention measurement is a usecase we have for binder
today and will be good to track this. lttng has support for futex
contention. Support can be added to lttng (kernel and userspace) to
monitor and track this. And then lttng can be used to see what
activity happened around this that may be of interest.

#lttng comminity on OFTC (my nick is joel_).

Thanks,
Joel

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Julien Desfossez