* (no subject)
@ 2012-11-30 13:58 Naresh Bhat
From: Naresh Bhat @ 2012-11-30 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec; +Cc: magnus.damm, Daniel Mack

Hi,

I am using Versatile express target at Daughterboard Site 1:
V2P-CA15_A7 Cortex A15

root@arm-cortex-a15:~# kexec -f zImage --dtb=vexpress.dtb
--append="root=/dev/nfs rw ip=dhcp
nfsroot=<Host-IP>:/mnt/sda3/nfs/cortexa15/core-image
console=ttyAMA0,38400n8 nosmp"
Starting new kernel
Bye!
Uncompressing Linux...

It stops here nothing is coming on serial console/terminal.

1. vexpress.dtb is generated from vexpress-v2p-ca15_a7.dts file.
2. Kernel version:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
3. Userland Tool:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kexec/kexec-tools.git

Please, help me to overcome from the above issue.  I appreciate your help

My questions are
1. My command line parameters are correct ?
2. Is it possible to test kexec using ATAGs on ca15_a7 architecture ??

Thanks and Regards
-Naresh Bhat

* Re:
@ 2012-11-30 14:27 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-11-30 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Bhat; +Cc: magnus.damm, kexec

On 30.11.2012 14:58, Naresh Bhat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Versatile express target at Daughterboard Site 1:
> V2P-CA15_A7 Cortex A15
>
> root@arm-cortex-a15:~# kexec -f zImage --dtb=vexpress.dtb
> --append="root=/dev/nfs rw ip=dhcp
> nfsroot=<Host-IP>:/mnt/sda3/nfs/cortexa15/core-image
> console=ttyAMA0,38400n8 nosmp"
> Starting new kernel
> Bye!
> Uncompressing Linux...

That could be just that the new kernel is missing its bootargs cmdline
with the appropriate console= tag. How are you booting the first kernel?
Does you bootloader add a /chosen tag?

Some suggestions:

1. Add a static CMDLINE to the second kernel, so it doesn't rely on that
information being passed from the first on.

2. Try running kexec without the --dtb option. kexec will then walk
/proc/device-tree and build up one dynamically (CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE
is needed for that).

3. Try passing --command-line to kexec. Note that this won't work
together with --dtb, as there's currently no code that adds the cmdline
to a dtb binary blob. But with two patches I recently submitted, it
works with the dynamic /proc/device-tree parsing mode.

4. In case you have LEDs connected to GPIOs on your board, configure
them to the heartbeat trigger mode. If that works, you know that the
kernel is actually booting, but just not showing anything on the console.

5. If 4) fails, try to toggle the GPIOs very early in the boot process,
as some sort of interface to trace the control flow, even without a JTAG.

6. In case you have CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL set, switch it off. I had no
luck yet booting into a kernel that was compiled in Thumb-2 mode.

Daniel

* Re:
@ 2012-12-14 14:09   ` Naresh Bhat
From: Naresh Bhat @ 2012-12-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: s.neumann; +Cc: magnus.damm, kexec, Daniel Mack

Hi Sven Neumann,

I can see you have tested a patch from "Daniel Mack"
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-December/007526.html

Can you please help me with the following

1. On which target it has been tested ?
2. Which kernel is used for testing ?
3. What are the --command-line arguments you have passed ?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards
-Naresh Bhat

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Daniel Mack <zonque@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30.11.2012 14:58, Naresh Bhat wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Versatile express target at Daughterboard Site 1:
>> V2P-CA15_A7 Cortex A15
>>
>> root@arm-cortex-a15:~# kexec -f zImage --dtb=vexpress.dtb
>> --append="root=/dev/nfs rw ip=dhcp
>> nfsroot=<Host-IP>:/mnt/sda3/nfs/cortexa15/core-image
>> console=ttyAMA0,38400n8 nosmp"
>> Starting new kernel
>> Bye!
>> Uncompressing Linux...
>
> That could be just that the new kernel is missing its bootargs cmdline
> with the appropriate console= tag. How are you booting the first kernel?
> Does you bootloader add a /chosen tag?
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> 1. Add a static CMDLINE to the second kernel, so it doesn't rely on that
> information being passed from the first on.
>
> 2. Try running kexec without the --dtb option. kexec will then walk
> /proc/device-tree and build up one dynamically (CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE
> is needed for that).
>
> 3. Try passing --command-line to kexec. Note that this won't work
> together with --dtb, as there's currently no code that adds the cmdline
> to a dtb binary blob. But with two patches I recently submitted, it
> works with the dynamic /proc/device-tree parsing mode.
>
> 4. In case you have LEDs connected to GPIOs on your board, configure
> them to the heartbeat trigger mode. If that works, you know that the
> kernel is actually booting, but just not showing anything on the console.
>
> 5. If 4) fails, try to toggle the GPIOs very early in the boot process,
> as some sort of interface to trace the control flow, even without a JTAG.
>
> 6. In case you have CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL set, switch it off. I had no
> luck yet booting into a kernel that was compiled in Thumb-2 mode.
>

> Daniel

* Re: Re:
@ 2012-12-14 14:35     ` Sven Neumann
From: Sven Neumann @ 2012-12-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Bhat; +Cc: magnus.damm, kexec, Daniel Mack

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 19:39 +0530, Naresh Bhat wrote:

> I can see you have tested a patch from "Daniel Mack"
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-December/007526.html
>
> Can you please help me with the following
>
> 1. On which target it has been tested ?
> 2. Which kernel is used for testing ?
> 3. What are the --command-line arguments you have passed ?

The target is a custom hardware based on an TI AM33xx ARM Cortex A8
processor. The platform is quite similar to a Beaglebone.

We've tested with Linux 3.7-rc8.

We used

 kexec --append="`cat /proc/cmdline` <extra-parameter>" --dtb=<device-tree-blob> --force uImage

where <extra-parameter> is an extra boot parameter that we append to the
currently used cmdline and <device-tree-blob> is the filename of a
device-tree-blob created using dtc.

Regards,
Sven