* PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 11:00 Benjamin Larsson
From: Benjamin Larsson @ 2015-11-20 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi, what tools can I use to test pid filter support in the drivers ?

MvH
Benjamin Larsson

* Re: PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 12:52 ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2015-11-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Larsson, linux-media

On 11/20/2015 01:00 PM, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Hi, what tools can I use to test pid filter support in the drivers ?

dvbtraffic shows all the pids from tuned stream, but IIRC it does not
work with dvbv5-zap as it opens device blocked mode. dvbv5-zap has
itself quite similar mode than dvbtraffic, it is --monitor.

To configure custom pids you need to patch tuning file, but usually
there is already enough pids to test as full scan usually returns tens
of tv channels (>~100 pids).

Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 13:27 ` Honza Petrouš
From: Honza Petrouš @ 2015-11-20 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Larsson; +Cc: linux-media

> Hi, what tools can I use to test pid filter support in the drivers ?

Zap utility from dvbapps seems to be some simpler way - you can pass them
the fixed pids and record filtered data by simple command.

See at:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Zap

/Honza

* Re: PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 14:25   ` Benjamin Larsson
From: Benjamin Larsson @ 2015-11-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honza Petrouš; +Cc: linux-media

On 11/20/2015 02:27 PM, Honza Petrouš wrote:
>> Hi, what tools can I use to test pid filter support in the drivers ?
>
> Zap utility from dvbapps seems to be some simpler way - you can pass them
> the fixed pids and record filtered data by simple command.
>
> See at:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Zap
>
> /Honza

Hi, can you elaborate with a command line example ? To start with I want
only the 0x1fff pid from a random dvb-c mux.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson

* Re: PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 14:41     ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2015-11-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Larsson, Honza Petrouš; +Cc: linux-media

On 11/20/2015 04:25 PM, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> On 11/20/2015 02:27 PM, Honza Petrouš wrote:
>>> Hi, what tools can I use to test pid filter support in the drivers ?
>>
>> Zap utility from dvbapps seems to be some simpler way - you can pass them
>> the fixed pids and record filtered data by simple command.
>>
>> See at:
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Zap
>>
>> /Honza
>
> Hi, can you elaborate with a command line example ? To start with I want
> only the 0x1fff pid from a random dvb-c mux.

hmm, that is null pid for padding ts to correct size IIRC. Take into
account that some pid filters / bridges automatically filter it out.
Usually it is there though.

So it is not very good pid to test. If you want test some pid which is
always there look those mandatory pids which are pids numbered near 0.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: PID filter testing
@ 2015-11-20 15:35       ` Benjamin Larsson
From: Benjamin Larsson @ 2015-11-20 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Palosaari, Honza Petrouš; +Cc: linux-media

> hmm, that is null pid for padding ts to correct size IIRC. Take into
> account that some pid filters / bridges automatically filter it out.
> Usually it is there though.
>
> So it is not very good pid to test. If you want test some pid which is
> always there look those mandatory pids which are pids numbered near 0.
>
> regards
> Antti

When I hard code the rtl2833 external pid filter I am able to get only
that pid. The inverse case also works as that is the default. Anyway I
just want some tool that I can use from command line that can toggle
pids somewhat dynamically. To bad there seems to be no ready available
tool for that.

Adding pid selection to dvbv5-zap in monitor mode looks to be the best
way forward.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson