* Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-12  8:02 Лежанкин Иван
From: Лежанкин Иван @ 2013-11-12  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I get this error message every time I want to do a `git push`.
git version: 1.8.4.2

Is it a known issue? Do you need additional info to investigate it?

Ivan.

* Re: Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-12  9:34 ` Konstantin Khomoutov
From: Konstantin Khomoutov @ 2013-11-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Лежанкин
	Иван
  Cc: git

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:02:38 +0400
Лежанкин Иван  <abyss.7@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this error message every time I want to do a `git push`.
> git version: 1.8.4.2
>
> Is it a known issue? Do you need additional info to investigate it?

What does
ulimit -n
tells to you when you run it before executing `git push`?

* Re: Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-12  9:37   ` Лежанкин Иван
From: Лежанкин Иван @ 2013-11-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Khomoutov; +Cc: git

1024

@ 2013-11-12 14:19 ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2013-11-12 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Лежанкин
	Иван
  Cc: Git Mailing List

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Лежанкин Иван <abyss.7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this error message every time I want to do a `git push`.
> git version: 1.8.4.2
>
> Is it a known issue? Do you need additional info to investigate it?

What OS do you use? If the repository can be published, please do.
Compress the whole .git directory, don't push or anything. Does the
error message begin with "remote: "? If not you could try strace and
at least identify what files are opened.
--
Duy

* Re: Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-12 14:38   ` Лежанкин Иван
From: Лежанкин Иван @ 2013-11-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use linux.

I can't publish repo - it's proprietary, it weights ~300M unpacked,
and it uses references ~3Gb.
Error message doesn't contain "remote:" prefix.
The majority of opened files have name like:
objects/pack/pack-<hash>.[ pack | idx ]
They all are from referenced repo.

I have disabled gc in the referenced repo - to prevent all local repos
from breaking. May this be the cause of problem?

@ 2013-11-13  2:48     ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2013-11-13  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Лежанкин
	Иван
  Cc: Git Mailing List

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Лежанкин Иван <abyss.7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use linux.
>
> I can't publish repo - it's proprietary, it weights ~300M unpacked,
> and it uses references ~3Gb.
> Error message doesn't contain "remote:" prefix.
> The majority of opened files have name like:
> objects/pack/pack-<hash>.[ pack | idx ]
> They all are from referenced repo.

There's a fix related to too many open packs, 88d0db5 (sha1_file:
introduce close_one_pack() to close packs on fd pressure - 2013-08-01)
but it's only available in v1.5.0-rc0 or rc1. Could you try that
version?

--
Duy

* Re: Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-13  3:04       ` Bryan Turner
From: Bryan Turner @ 2013-11-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duy Nguyen
  Cc: Лежанкин
	Иван,
	Git Mailing List

On 13 November 2013 13:48, Duy Nguyen <pclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Лежанкин Иван <abyss.7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use linux.
>>
>> I can't publish repo - it's proprietary, it weights ~300M unpacked,
>> and it uses references ~3Gb.
>> Error message doesn't contain "remote:" prefix.
>> The majority of opened files have name like:
>> objects/pack/pack-<hash>.[ pack | idx ]
>> They all are from referenced repo.
>
> There's a fix related to too many open packs, 88d0db5 (sha1_file:
> introduce close_one_pack() to close packs on fd pressure - 2013-08-01)
> but it's only available in v1.5.0-rc0 or rc1. Could you try that
> version?

I believe you mean 1.8.5-rc0 or 1.8.5-rc1, is that correct?

@ 2013-11-13  3:32         ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2013-11-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Turner
  Cc: Лежанкин
	Иван,
	Git Mailing List

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Bryan Turner <bturner@atlassian.com> wrote:
>> but it's only available in v1.5.0-rc0 or rc1. Could you try that
>> version?
>
> I believe you mean 1.8.5-rc0 or 1.8.5-rc1, is that correct?

Yes. Looks like my fingers are not controlled by my mind anymore.
--
Duy

* Re: Error message: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Too many open files
@ 2013-11-13  7:00           ` Лежанкин Иван
From: Лежанкин Иван @ 2013-11-13  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried your commit.
No more error messages.

Looking forward to the next git version.
Thanks.