* list of all subsystems (swap space)
@ 2018-01-19 15:34 inventsekar
From: inventsekar @ 2018-01-19 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

1. so I tried to find out which subsystem the swap space comes under..
when I googled for list of subsystems Linux architecture, no luck.
Between, I found out that kernel map (
http://www.makelinux.net/kernel_map/ ), which gives me kind of
subsystems/modules.

Is there any documentation/links for list of subsystems on Linux?!?!

2. it looks like swap space itself a separate subsystem/module.
I thought to subscribe to some lkml dl for swap, but I am not finding any
DL at all. Please suggest.

Best regards
Sekar

On Jan 15, 2018 11:52 PM, "inventsekar" <inventsekar@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
I have been reading about swap space and got  these questions...

1. Btrfs was the only one fs which got this below issue or any other fs
also?
2. The other way around - is there any FS which is best suitable (best
performance) for swap file?
2. Is this issue still there or the wiki isn't updated?

*https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap>*
*Warning:* Btrfs <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs> does not
support swap files. Failure to heed this warning may result in file system
corruption. While a swap file may be used on Btrfs when mounted through a
loop device, this will result in severely degraded swap performance.

Any suggestions, links, documentations please.

Best regards
Sekar
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* list of all subsystems (swap space)
@ 2018-01-19 23:56 ` inventsekar
From: inventsekar @ 2018-01-19 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Ohk, I did some more search and found this... sharing for newbies like me.

@ 2018-01-20  0:54 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-01-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:04:32 +0530, inventsekar said:

> 1. so I tried to find out which subsystem the swap space comes under..

There's nothing for swap in particular.  The decision of what pages to move out
of memory is in the code under mm/ (memory management). The actual  I/O
to/from a swap area depends on what the backing store is - a disk partition, a
file on a filesystem, an NFS mount, or whatever - the I/O gets handled by
whatever drives any other I/O for that target.

MAINTAINERS tells us:

MEMORY MANAGEMENT
L:      linux-mm at kvack.org
W:      http://www.linux-mm.org