* asking for an example job file
@ 2013-01-11 19:24 Hong Jiang
From: Hong Jiang @ 2013-01-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hi there,

I am pretty new to this tool, and currently evaluating it on both
linux and windows platforms.  Would appreciate if someone shows me an
example of job file that can test this scenario:

I have a share that's created out of the "cloud", on windows client
side it's mounted as a new drive, on linux it's mounted to a
directory.  I would like to run some file op tests against the share.

I tried to use the example job file that came with the package -
1mbs_clients, modifying the "directory" parameter setting in the file,
but I am not sure it's really running against the share, as the result
looks exact the same when I ran the test on 2 different shares.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hong

* Re: asking for an example job file
@ 2013-01-14  9:09 ` Jens Axboe
       [not found]   ` <CAJdxx75-H7LOQ3Kf13U6h7TskpvCKuwL4pbkG16PzHinYwHRsw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jens Axboe @ 2013-01-14  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hong Jiang; +Cc: fio

On 2013-01-11 20:24, Hong Jiang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am pretty new to this tool, and currently evaluating it on both
> linux and windows platforms.  Would appreciate if someone shows me an
> example of job file that can test this scenario:
>
> I have a share that's created out of the "cloud", on windows client
> side it's mounted as a new drive, on linux it's mounted to a
> directory.  I would like to run some file op tests against the share.
>
> I tried to use the example job file that came with the package -
> 1mbs_clients, modifying the "directory" parameter setting in the file,
> but I am not sure it's really running against the share, as the result
> looks exact the same when I ran the test on 2 different shares.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Delete the output files and run the test again? If the files are
created, then you should be able to safely confirm that it is running
where you think it is running. Fio will prefix any file with the
--directory= setting. So if you did set it, it should work...

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: asking for an example job file
       [not found]     ` <CAJdxx77Yq=Df4eS-iQVfFNXzjBusF3zG+ZLhLnGQVuVHhdkA=g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-23 17:47       ` Hong Jiang
From: Hong Jiang @ 2013-01-23 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hi there,

This is a followup question - the attached sample job file, I could
run it successfully on linux but on Windows, even though the files are
created, fio never exit.  I tried same test on local system directory
on Windows, the same situation.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks!

; Keep adding 1024kb/s reading clients at 4 seconds
[global]
size=32m
rw=read
directory=C:\Users\xxxx\test
rate=1250
#ratemin=1024

[file1]
startdelay=0

[file2]
startdelay=4

[file3]
startdelay=8

[file4]
startdelay=12

[file5]
startdelay=16

[file6]
startdelay=20

[file7]
startdelay=24

[file8]
startdelay=28

[file9]
startdelay=32

[file10]
startdelay=36

@ 2013-01-23 19:56         ` Matt Hayward
From: Matt Hayward @ 2013-01-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hong Jiang; +Cc: fio

Hello Hong,
    How long did you let it run for?

    My belief is that this will do 32 megabytes of reads in each of
the files, at a rate of 1250 _bytes_ per second.  This should take
over 7 hours.

    Maybe remove the "rate" argument, or change it to 1250k or something?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Hong Jiang <hong@maginatics.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is a followup question - the attached sample job file, I could
> run it successfully on linux but on Windows, even though the files are
> created, fio never exit.  I tried same test on local system directory
> on Windows, the same situation.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks!
>
> ; Keep adding 1024kb/s reading clients at 4 seconds
> [global]
> size=32m
> rw=read
> directory=C:\Users\xxxx\test
> rate=1250
> #ratemin=1024
>
> [file1]
> startdelay=0
>
> [file2]
> startdelay=4
>
> [file3]
> startdelay=8
>
> [file4]
> startdelay=12
>
> [file5]
> startdelay=16
>
> [file6]
> startdelay=20
>
> [file7]
> startdelay=24
>
> [file8]
> startdelay=28
>
> [file9]
> startdelay=32
>
> [file10]
> startdelay=36
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Hong Jiang <hong@maginatics.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the suggestions.  Yes I did observe files being
> > created.  I will play more with it taking your inputs.

> >> Delete the output files and run the test again? If the files are
> >> created, then you should be able to safely confirm that it is running
> >> where you think it is running. Fio will prefix any file with the
> >> --directory= setting. So if you did set it, it should work...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jens Axboe

Matthew Hayward
Director Professional Services
Delphix:
https://www.facebook.com/DelphixCorp
https://twitter.com/delphixcorp
M: 206.849.6389
275 Middlefield Road, Suite 50
Menlo Park, CA 94025
http://www.delphix.com

* Re: asking for an example job file
@ 2013-01-23 20:03           ` Hong Jiang
From: Hong Jiang @ 2013-01-23 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Hayward; +Cc: fio

it has been running for over 20 hours. nothing seems to be happening,
but it just doesn't exit, and no result printed.  I am running it on
a window 7 vm (on vmware ESX).

@ 2013-01-23 20:16             ` Greg Sullivan
From: Greg Sullivan @ 2013-01-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

(resending in plain text - sigh)

I tried to use the "rate" functionality on Windows some time ago, and
it was extremely erratic. As I recall, the Windows maintainer couldn't
reproduce the behaviour I was observing, and since the work I was
doing was not critical, I gave up. (yes - I know - boo hiss! :) :)

@ 2013-01-27 15:39               ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2013-01-27 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Sullivan; +Cc: fio

On Thu, Jan 24 2013, Greg Sullivan wrote:
> (resending in plain text - sigh)
>
> I tried to use the "rate" functionality on Windows some time ago, and
> it was extremely erratic. As I recall, the Windows maintainer couldn't
> reproduce the behaviour I was observing, and since the work I was
> doing was not critical, I gave up. (yes - I know - boo hiss! :) :)

It might have something to do with some of the timing functions on
Windows, which are way too coarse to be used for rate limiting. If you
have the job file that you used handy, I can try and take a look at it.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: asking for an example job file
@ 2013-02-03  6:56                 ` Greg Sullivan
From: Greg Sullivan @ 2013-02-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: fio

On 28 January 2013 02:39, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24 2013, Greg Sullivan wrote:
> > (resending in plain text - sigh)
> >
> > I tried to use the "rate" functionality on Windows some time ago, and
> > it was extremely erratic. As I recall, the Windows maintainer couldn't
> > reproduce the behaviour I was observing, and since the work I was
> > doing was not critical, I gave up. (yes - I know - boo hiss! :) :)
>
> It might have something to do with some of the timing functions on
> Windows, which are way too coarse to be used for rate limiting. If you
> have the job file that you used handy, I can try and take a look at it.
>
> --

Thanks Jens - here it is:
<read.ini>
[read]
bs=128K
direct=1
size=100M

rate=1M
rw=read
<end read.ini>

Running against a 7200rpm SATA drive. It is very erratic, and locks up
completely. However, if I up the rate to, say, 10MB/s, it works much
better. Also, this is bizarre - it seems to work much better when I
have my browser (Chrome) open! If I close down all the chrome.exe
processes, it then locks up, but only if the rate is low (1MByte/s).
I'll try to create some disk activity using another application and
re-test!

System:
Dell E6500 Latitude laptop, Win7 32-bit, 4GB memory, 7200rpm internal
SATA drive.

Greg.