* Hardware accelerated video decoding and display on AMD hardware?
@ 2023-01-28 22:47 Ori Pessach
From: Ori Pessach @ 2023-01-28 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I asked this on the meta-amd mailing list but got no response.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be added to an image if I want to enable
accelerated video decoding and display on commodity (PC) AMD hardware?

The image is currently running Xorg and, at least on Intel hardware, is
capable of accelerated decoding and display using VAAPI and OpenGL. The
user application uses gstreamer for decoding and display.

Thanks,

Ori Pessach

* Re: [yocto] Hardware accelerated video decoding and display on AMD hardware?
@ 2023-01-28 23:29 ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2023-01-28 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ori Pessach; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 2:47 PM Ori Pessach <mail@oripessach.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I asked this on the meta-amd mailing list but got no response.
>
> Can anyone tell me what needs to be added to an image if I want to enable
> accelerated video decoding and display on commodity (PC) AMD hardware?
>
> The image is currently running Xorg and, at least on Intel hardware, is
> capable of accelerated decoding and display using VAAPI and OpenGL. The
> user application uses gstreamer for decoding and display.

I don’t have any direct experience, but a search for “Radeon” on layerindex
gives some hints:
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/?q=Radeon

So you probably want xf86-video-amdgpu and linux-firmware-amdgpu.

@ 2023-01-29  3:07   ` Ori Pessach
From: Ori Pessach @ 2023-01-29  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Orling; +Cc: yocto

Thanks.

Unfortunately, neither xf86-video-amdgpu nor linux-firmware seem to be
available. meta-amd certainly doesn't have them, and  xf86-video-amdgpu is
only in a newer branch of meta-oe than the one I'm currently using.

xf86-video-ati is available and I already use it - it doesn't accelerate
OpenGL or video decoding, unfortunately.

Regarding meta-amd, its FEATURES.md suggests that it doesn't support any
multimedia features on any of its targeted machines. I'm left wondering
what it does support...

Any other suggestions? Or ideas why the mesa recipe doesn't want to build
the radeonsi driver even though the version I'm building (21.2.4) seems to
include it?

Thanks,

Ori Pessach

@ 2023-01-29  3:26     ` f_l_k