* git feature-branch
@ 2014-07-24 22:15 Sheldon Els
From: Sheldon Els @ 2014-07-24 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi

A small tool I wrote that is useful for some workflows. I thought it'd
be worth sharing. https://github.com/sheldon/git-feature-branch/

Sheldon

* Re: git feature-branch
@ 2014-07-25  4:11 ` Sitaram Chamarty
From: Sitaram Chamarty @ 2014-07-25  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sheldon Els, git

On 07/25/2014 03:45 AM, Sheldon Els wrote:
> Hi
>
> A small tool I wrote that is useful for some workflows. I thought it'd
> be worth sharing. https://github.com/sheldon/git-feature-branch/

As far as I can tell it's just a shell script; does it really need
installation instructions, and if so can they not be more generic than
"brew install"?  Speaking for myself I have NO clue what that is.

* Re: git feature-branch
@ 2014-07-25  5:40   ` Sheldon Els
From: Sheldon Els @ 2014-07-25  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitaram Chamarty; +Cc: git

It is just a shell script yes, and a man page to make things a bit
more discoverable for "git help feature-branch".

The brew command comes from homebrew, a popular OSX package manager.
My platform of choice.

Perhaps I can get support for an easy install for your platform. Do
you think a Makefile that installs to /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/share/man would fit, or are you on windows?

@ 2014-07-25  6:09     ` Sitaram Chamarty
From: Sitaram Chamarty @ 2014-07-25  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sheldon Els; +Cc: git

On 07/25/2014 11:10 AM, Sheldon Els wrote:
> It is just a shell script yes, and a man page to make things a bit
> more discoverable for "git help feature-branch".
>
> The brew command comes from homebrew, a popular OSX package manager.
> My platform of choice.

You might want to at least add "these instructions are for people using
macs".  Otherwise it seems like you assume everyone is using macs, and
nothing else exists in the world as far as you are concerned.

> Perhaps I can get support for an easy install for your platform. Do

When I said "more generic" I meant "it's just *one* shell script; put it
somewhere on your $PATH".  That should be sufficient for something like
this (at the risk of going a bit off-topic for the list).

> you think a Makefile that installs to /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/share/man would fit, or are you on windows?

Ouch.  That hurt.