* Incorrect UART in /tty/serial/8250
@ 2024-03-28 19:34 Joshua Droney
From: Joshua Droney @ 2024-03-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

Hello!

My name is Josh. I'm currently employed at Commtech, Inc.
(https://fastcomproducts.com/). I'm following the instructions at
https://kernelnewbies.org/FoundBug to report this issue. Please let me
know if this is incorrect.

We (Commtech) have several serial boards, but the board in question is
the '422/2-PCIe'. This board does not exist, but someone added it to
the Linux kernel at some point in the past. This wouldn't be a
problem, except that the board ID that was used for this non-existent
board (0x22) was ultimately used for a different REAL board, with a
different UART. Instead of a xr172358, we use a 16C950 on the real
board. But the Linux kernel finds our other board ID, and tries to
initialize it as an exar chip and fails. I don't know much about the
kernel, but I believe the lines in question are:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c#L47
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c#L925

You can see that we have a different board with device ID 0x22 here:
https://admin.pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/18f7

The 422/4-PCIe exists (0x20), the 422/8-PCIe exists (0x21), but the
422/2-PCIe was never created and its device id was used for a
different board (0x22, the SuperFSCC/4-LVDS-PCIe).

Josh

* Re: Incorrect UART in /tty/serial/8250
@ 2024-03-29  6:01 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2024-03-29  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Droney; +Cc: linux-serial

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 02:34:10PM -0500, Joshua Droney wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is Josh. I'm currently employed at Commtech, Inc.
> (https://fastcomproducts.com/). I'm following the instructions at
> https://kernelnewbies.org/FoundBug to report this issue. Please let me
> know if this is incorrect.
>
> We (Commtech) have several serial boards, but the board in question is
> the '422/2-PCIe'. This board does not exist, but someone added it to
> the Linux kernel at some point in the past. This wouldn't be a
> problem, except that the board ID that was used for this non-existent
> board (0x22) was ultimately used for a different REAL board, with a
> different UART. Instead of a xr172358, we use a 16C950 on the real
> board. But the Linux kernel finds our other board ID, and tries to
> initialize it as an exar chip and fails. I don't know much about the
> kernel, but I believe the lines in question are:
>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c#L47
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c#L925
>
> You can see that we have a different board with device ID 0x22 here:
> https://admin.pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/18f7
>
> The 422/4-PCIe exists (0x20), the 422/8-PCIe exists (0x21), but the
> 422/2-PCIe was never created and its device id was used for a
> different board (0x22, the SuperFSCC/4-LVDS-PCIe).

Can you please submit a patch that fixes this?  We'll be glad to take
it.  If you need help making it, please let us know.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Incorrect UART in /tty/serial/8250
@ 2024-03-29 14:23   ` Joshua Droney
From: Joshua Droney @ 2024-03-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-serial

I would appreciate some guidance on this. I don't know enough about
the kernel's serial driver to be confident about what changes need to
be made, nor anything about creating/submitting a patch.

Thanks!
Josh

@ 2024-04-03 22:26     ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2024-04-03 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Droney; +Cc: Greg KH, linux-serial

Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 09:23:49AM -0500, Joshua Droney kirjoitti:

First of all, do not top-post in the Linux kernel related mailing lists.

> I would appreciate some guidance on this. I don't know enough about
> the kernel's serial driver to be confident about what changes need to
> be made, nor anything about creating/submitting a patch.

You may start from here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submit-checklist.html

--