* Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers
@ 2021-07-30 16:27 Ravi Jain
From: Ravi Jain @ 2021-07-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukas.bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would
like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.

* Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers
@ 2021-07-22 13:55 Saptarshi Patra
From: Saptarshi Patra @ 2021-07-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel-mentees, lukas.bulwahn

Respected sir,

I am very interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I
would like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.
Sincerely,

Saptarshi Patra

* Re: Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers
@ 2021-07-19 13:25   ` Piyush Thange
From: Piyush Thange @ 2021-07-19 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On 18/07/21 10:17 am, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 1:20 PM Piyush Thange <pthange19@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would
>> like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.
>
> The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with
> the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
> mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
> https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.
>
> First, please do not top-post.
>
>      A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
>      Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?
>
>      A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>      Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
>      A: The lost context.
>      Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?
>
>      A: Yes.
>      Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?
>
> Second, please always CC: linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
>
> Third, set up your email client according to the kernel community rules.
> Here is some information to that:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#no-mime-no-links-no-compression-no-attachments-just-plain-text
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/email-clients.html
>
> Generally more information on submitting patches and responding on
> replies is at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html
>
> Once the zeroth task is understood, you can now move on to the first task:
>
> First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
> the x86-defconfig build configuration.
>
> There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
> repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
> file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.
>
> Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?
>
> Now, search for specific MAINTAINER entries; Please answer: Who are
> the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?
>
> DVB_USB_GL861 MEDIA DRIVER
> FREESCALE USB PHY DRIVER
> HYPERBUS SUPPORT
> I2C-TINY-USB DRIVER
> IMON SOUNDGRAPH USB IR RECEIVER
> INTEL PRO/WIRELESS 2100, 2200BG, 2915ABG NETWORK CONNECTION SUPPORT
> NVM EXPRESS DRIVER
> PS3VRAM DRIVER
> PWM FAN DRIVER
> UNSORTED BLOCK IMAGES (UBI)
>
> Please let us know about your answers and always send your responses
> to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list. After that first exercise,
> exercises 2 and 3 will follow.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lukas

Greetings,

I've compiled the mainline kernel using defconfig.

**What's stored in the MAINTAINERS file?**

The MAINTAINERS file contains the information for patch submitter
and the rules to be followed by them. There are basically 7 tips to be
followed.
The first two tips cover the testing of a patch and getting it reviewed by
people.
The next two cover the compilation of changes made by the developer and make
them available for testing purpose.
The fifth tip is one of the important where a submitter need to check the
formatting style for the code using script ``checkpatch.pl`` & get the
maintainer for the patch using script ``get_maintainer.pl``.
The inclusion of Sign is must.
The next two tips contains the authority of a patch and
sending it to related maintainer.

Next are the descriptions assigned to section entries which are used further
for providing the information about the Maintainer, Reviewer, Status,
SCM and so on.
eg. M:	Maintainers
     R:	Reviewers

**Below is the list for the Maintainers & Reviewers.**

DVB_USB_GL861 MEDIA DRIVER
M:	Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi>

FREESCALE USB PHY DRIVER
M:	Ran Wang <ran.wang_1@nxp.com>

HYPERBUS SUPPORT
M:	Vignesh Raghavendra <vigneshr@ti.com>

I2C-TINY-USB DRIVER
M:	Till Harbaum <till@harbaum.org>

IMON SOUNDGRAPH USB IR RECEIVER
M:	Sean Young <sean@mess.org>

INTEL PRO/WIRELESS 2100, 2200BG, 2915ABG NETWORK CONNECTION SUPPORT
M:	Stanislav Yakovlev <stas.yakovlev@gmail.com>

NVM EXPRESS DRIVER
M:	Keith Busch <kbusch@kernel.org>
M:	Jens Axboe <axboe@fb.com>
M:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
M:	Sagi Grimberg <sagi@grimberg.me>

PS3VRAM DRIVER
M:	Jim Paris <jim@jtan.com>
M:	Geoff Levand <geoff@infradead.org>

PWM FAN DRIVER
M:	Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <b.zolnierkie@samsung.com>

UNSORTED BLOCK IMAGES (UBI)
M:	Richard Weinberger <richard@nod.at>

* Re: Linux Kernel: Mining for Maintainers
@ 2021-07-18  4:47 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-18  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piyush Thange; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 1:20 PM Piyush Thange <pthange19@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would
> like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.

The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with
the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.

First, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.

@ 2021-07-17 11:20 Piyush Thange
From: Piyush Thange @ 2021-07-17 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukas.bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees