* VIA Eden X4
@ 2016-01-04 13:58 Matwey V. Kornilov
From: Matwey V. Kornilov @ 2016-01-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello,

According to WikiPedia VIA claims x86 hardware assisted virtualization
for VIA Eden X4 CPU.
Does anybody know if it is supported by Linux KVM?

* Re: VIA Eden X4
@ 2016-01-05  7:20 ` Bandan Das
From: Bandan Das @ 2016-01-05  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matwey V. Kornilov; +Cc: kvm

"Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> According to WikiPedia VIA claims x86 hardware assisted virtualization
> for VIA Eden X4 CPU.
> Does anybody know if it is supported by Linux KVM?

I can't say for sure but my guess is that it should work since VIA implements
VT-x like virtualization extensions, so KVM will find VMX capable hardware.

Bandan

* Re: VIA Eden X4
@ 2016-01-05 11:19   ` Matwey V. Kornilov
From: Matwey V. Kornilov @ 2016-01-05 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bandan Das; +Cc: kvm

> "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> According to WikiPedia VIA claims x86 hardware assisted virtualization
>> for VIA Eden X4 CPU.
>> Does anybody know if it is supported by Linux KVM?
>>

> I can't say for sure but my guess is that it should work since VIA implements
> VT-x like virtualization extensions, so KVM will find VMX capable hardware.

Do I understand correctly, that VIA engineers are not frequent guests
here and VIA doesn't disclosure docs for their CPUs?

> Bandan
>
>> --

With best regards,
Matwey V. Kornilov
http://blog.matwey.name
xmpp://0x2207@jabber.ru

* Re: VIA Eden X4
@ 2016-01-05 14:24   ` Alex Williamson
From: Alex Williamson @ 2016-01-05 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bandan Das, Matwey V. Kornilov; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, 2016-01-05 at 12:50 +0530, Bandan Das wrote:
> "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > According to WikiPedia VIA claims x86 hardware assisted
> > virtualization
> > for VIA Eden X4 CPU.
> > Does anybody know if it is supported by Linux KVM?
> >

> I can't say for sure but my guess is that it should work since VIA
> implements
> VT-x like virtualization extensions, so KVM will find VMX capable
> hardware.

I don't think it's that straightforward, ISTR the vmx capability on
previous VIA processors being broken, for instance:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/712416

Seems like Avi had investigated and found something pretty broken in
the implementation, but my google-foo isn't able to find the thread.  I
suspect nobody, maybe not even VIA, knows if it works on their latest
attempt.  Thanks,

Alex