* Remove connman package from yocto sdk.
@ 2020-07-24 12:44 nikhilvp29
From: nikhilvp29 @ 2020-07-24 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi team,
          We want to use NetworkManager to access internet using LTE module
. but connman and Networkmaanger both are installed.

          I struggled so much to remove connman,  I tried as follows :-
           1) Added IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
                            but it still come with sato image.

            2) Added DISTRO_FEATURE_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
                            but it still come with sato image.

    By default connman is coming in image , how to remove connman ?

* Re: Remove connman package from yocto sdk.
@ 2020-07-28  5:19 ` NIKHIL PATIL
From: NIKHIL PATIL @ 2020-07-28  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

hi,
 Still we ar facing same issue  ,
  If anyone know, please help.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:14 PM NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>           We want to use NetworkManager to access internet using LTE
> module . but connman and Networkmaanger both are installed.
>
>           I struggled so much to remove connman,  I tried as follows :-
>            1) Added IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>                             but it still come with sato image.
>
>             2) Added DISTRO_FEATURE_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>                             but it still come with sato image.
>
>     By default connman is coming in image , how to remove connman ?

* Re: [yocto] Remove connman package from yocto sdk.
@ 2020-07-28  7:02   ` Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz
       [not found]     ` <CAJw=dJ9c50nX-9ssy4f5koN7BGTYLo5h=H4XZObAY-ZimTWxxQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz @ 2020-07-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIKHIL PATIL; +Cc: yocto

Howdy!

Am Di., 28. Juli 2020 um 07:19 Uhr schrieb NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com>:

> hi,
>  Still we ar facing same issue  ,
>   If anyone know, please help.
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:14 PM NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi team,
>>           We want to use NetworkManager to access internet using LTE module . but connman and Networkmaanger both are installed.
>>
>>           I struggled so much to remove connman,  I tried as follows :-
>>            1) Added IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>>                             but it still come with sato image.
>>
>>             2) Added DISTRO_FEATURE_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>>                             but it still come with sato image.
>>
>>     By default connman is coming in image , how to remove connman ?

Do not remove connman. If you don't need it, then do not even build
and install it. find out what pulls it in, and change that.
Additionally, tinkering with that through local.conf is a bad
practise: create your own image recipe and start from there.

Greetz

* Re: [yocto] Remove connman package from yocto sdk.
@ 2020-07-28  8:10     ` Quentin Schulz
       [not found]     ` <CAJw=dJ9c50nX-9ssy4f5koN7BGTYLo5h=H4XZObAY-ZimTWxxQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-07-28  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz; +Cc: NIKHIL PATIL, yocto

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 09:02:45AM +0200, Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Am Di., 28. Juli 2020 um 07:19 Uhr schrieb NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com>:
> >
> > hi,
> >  Still we ar facing same issue  ,
> >   If anyone know, please help.
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:14 PM NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi team,
> >>           We want to use NetworkManager to access internet using LTE module . but connman and Networkmaanger both are installed.
> >>
> >>           I struggled so much to remove connman,  I tried as follows :-
> >>            1) Added IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
> >>                             but it still come with sato image.
> >>
> >>             2) Added DISTRO_FEATURE_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
> >>                             but it still come with sato image.
> >>
> >>     By default connman is coming in image , how to remove connman ?
>
> Do not remove connman. If you don't need it, then do not even build
> and install it. find out what pulls it in, and change that.
> Additionally, tinkering with that through local.conf is a bad
> practise: create your own image recipe and start from there.

Don't know if it works but was always wondering if adding
PACKAGE_EXCLUDE = "connman" would be a way to know for sure at least one
recipe that is "adding" connman to the image exists (and this also makes
sure connman does not make it to the final image.. which incidentally
fails the build if it **has** to make it to the image (RDEPENDS of a
recipe or directly added to the image by the machine, distro conf files
or image recipe.

Just throwing this idea here, no idea if this works and I didn't have
the opportunity to test in our layers yet.

Quentin

@ 2020-07-28 11:02       ` Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz
From: Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz @ 2020-07-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIKHIL PATIL; +Cc: yocto

Howdy!

(re-adding the ML)

Am Di., 28. Juli 2020 um 12:10 Uhr schrieb NIKHIL PATIL <nikhilvp29@gmail.com>:

> Hi
>           1) connman is default package, so by default it is coming with sato image.

Nope. It is not the default. Maybe the sato image pulls it in, but if
you don't like that then why do you use the sato image? Create your
own image recipe.

>           2) some packages are depends on connection manager.

Create your own image recipe and include the connection manager that
you like. If you install something that has an explicit dependency on
connman, then you probably have to remove that too.

>           3)  In our own own image recipe how we can remove connection manager package ?

Why would one have to remove something that is not there? Again, now
really for the last time:

"Create your own image recipe and add only the things that you want".

There is even a neat demonstration on how to do that online:
https://youtu.be/nqHylLP2NmA

Greetz

* Re: [yocto] Remove connman package from yocto sdk.
@ 2020-07-30  5:52 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-07-30  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIKHIL PATIL, yocto

On 7/24/20 5:44 AM, NIKHIL PATIL wrote:
> Hi team,
>            We want to use NetworkManager to access internet using LTE
> module . but connman and Networkmaanger both are installed.
>            I struggled so much to remove connman,  I tried as follows :-
>             1) Added IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>                              but it still come with sato image.
>
>              2) Added DISTRO_FEATURE_remove = "connman"  in local.conf
>                              but it still come with sato image.
>      By default connman is coming in image , how to remove connman ?

try to find where its being added. Perhaps bitbake -g <image> should
give you dependency file where you can check where it appear on right
hand side of -> and equate to which package is bringing it in as dependency